“A nice and quiet beach”
Review of Ha'atafu Beach

Ha'atafu Beach
Reviewed April 23, 2012

There is nothing here but sea, sand and silence. I loved it!

1  Thank Superhilde
"holty's hideaway"
"white sand"
"fish life"
in 3 reviews
"best beach on the island"
in 3 reviews
"heilala lodge"
"see whales"
"day trip"

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Everything everybody else says about the great setting, relaxed atmosphere, the food and the friendliness is true. It took us a day to relax and slow down after a busy term. Weather was great most of the time(we stayed 9days), my partner didn't get the amazing surf he was hoping for, but good enough to make him happy. I swam and snorkeled, great! We loved the family and workers there, all so friendly and HAPPY!
We stayed in the new premium units, as I decided that at 50+ I was entitled to a minimum of luxury. It was actually even nicer than we expected with a fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, mosquito screens, nice ensuite and huge bed. But others who stayed in the garden rooms were pretty happy too in spite of shared facilities (they do not rely on solar showers anymore by the way).
Our only suggestion would be to have a clear file type folder with information in the rooms.
We went to town one day with the owners and came back on the bus, an interesting trip! The market and crafts were worth it but otherwise we stayed at the resort.
Overall a recommended destination and we will certainly try to go back.

1  Thank Henriette T
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Ha'atafu beach is a great little sandy beach with a nice coral reef right up to the beach. The north end is better for diving and towards the rip, it gets a little drab. Lots of fish, but the coral is still coming back. Make sure you go at high tide when there's enough water to swim over the coral and be sure to go to the Abel Tasman monument on the north end of the spit.

1  Thank realalaskan
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We went as a family group, one young child and the rest of us grown up :) had a great time, very relaxing. we are not surfers but we still had a great holiday. did snorkling and walks. the owner was great, made amazing food, and everyone was very friendly. the facilities are basic, but that is all you need. i wouldnt change it, as it is what gave teh place character. plus having shared facilities meant to interacted with teh other guests. great for teh young child as she made a friend within about an hour and she was free to play on her own. very safe and friendly. would go back in a heart beat. highly recommend.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I spent alot of time trying to pick a good spot for a surf trip with one of my mates. I chose this as all contact I had with the owner sounded great. How wrong was I? Apart from no internet access to check the surf everyday, hot water out of plastic bags strapped to a pick of wood, mouldy damp beds, no flyscreens on windows. i was intending to take my wife with me. Thank god I didnt. Within the first day of arriving i wanted to get straight back on a plane and go home. The surf didnt really kick in until the 3rd day we were there. That was absolutely awesome. The food that was prepared throughout the day and night was yum. We did go into the main town and were charged $25.00aud for a 5km drive. Also I found the owner quiet rude and the more things I asked him about the surf for the day the more disinterested he seemed. Overall review. I would not go back there ever.

1  Thank Hoffin