“Best shore diving we found”
Review of Ha'atafu Beach

Ha'atafu Beach
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Ha'atafu beach is a great little sandy beach with a nice coral reef right up to the beach. The north end is better for diving and towards the rip, it gets a little drab. Lots of fish, but the coral is still coming back. Make sure you go at high tide when there's enough water to swim over the coral and be sure to go to the Abel Tasman monument on the north end of the spit.

1  Thank realalaskan

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We went as a family group, one young child and the rest of us grown up :) had a great time, very relaxing. we are not surfers but we still had a great holiday. did snorkling and walks. the owner was great, made amazing food, and everyone was very friendly. the facilities are basic, but that is all you need. i wouldnt change it, as it is what gave teh place character. plus having shared facilities meant to interacted with teh other guests. great for teh young child as she made a friend within about an hour and she was free to play on her own. very safe and friendly. would go back in a heart beat. highly recommend.

Reviewed February 4, 2011

I spent alot of time trying to pick a good spot for a surf trip with one of my mates. I chose this as all contact I had with the owner sounded great. How wrong was I? Apart from no internet access to check the surf everyday, hot water out of plastic bags strapped to a pick of wood, mouldy damp beds, no flyscreens on windows. i was intending to take my wife with me. Thank god I didnt. Within the first day of arriving i wanted to get straight back on a plane and go home. The surf didnt really kick in until the 3rd day we were there. That was absolutely awesome. The food that was prepared throughout the day and night was yum. We did go into the main town and were charged $25.00aud for a 5km drive. Also I found the owner quiet rude and the more things I asked him about the surf for the day the more disinterested he seemed. Overall review. I would not go back there ever.

1  Thank Hoffin
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Awesome, the best food iv'e ever had on any of the Pacific islands, Steve is a machine in the kitchen.

The surf was good, and the snorkelling was mean past the reef.

Only go there if u want to relax, chill out with others, play table tennis, surf, eat, relax some more......................

it's not the Ritz but i would stay @ Ha'atafu with out a doubt than the Ritz.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

Spent nearly two weeks here , while staying at the Vakaloa Resort - Vakaloa is very reasonable , helpful friendly management and staff - chef very obliging - great food - nothing was a problem! Accomodation very pleasant - clean - with hot showers and separate bathroom - views of beach .
the beach has snorkelling swimming - surfing if you're into that - I was interested in the stone formations at the northern end where history tells us that this is where stone slabs were cut and taken for the building of the imense tombs on other parts of the islands. Watched harmless 2m sea snake sunning itself on rocks. Greg Barron

3  Thank Greg29Whangarei