“Amazing getaway!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tongatapu Island
Ha'atafu Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Tongatapu Island
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Firstly I would like to apologize to steve and his incredible staff for the lateness of this review.
Our time at Ha Atafu beach resort was nothing short of amazing , the food was incredible , as to was the service, the rooms and amenities very comfortable and clean, the layout was great -provideing us loads of shade in the warm temperatures and a quick 20 metre walk to the beach,the dining and entertainment room was spacious yet homely resulting in many fun nights with a few beers after dinner with other quest.
The thing to bare in mind is that this is not a chessy big scale pool side resort ,this is beautiful quiet beach side resort with great food and great staff and with a limited amount of quests to provide you with the most relaxing time possible.
The resort provides kayaks and many other activities, the beach is great and the snorkling amazing if your lucky you'll get to watch the whales heading north from the beach - this place has it all esp waves.
The waves? insane!! and i did'nt even score it as good as it gets. Like any surf trip you run the risk of scoring a flat spell esp if on a short time frame (if you can go 2 weeks) , Out of the 8 days i surfed everyday some days were small around chest height but super fun , some days up to 3 feet the bigger it gets the more perfect , My last day saw a new swell hitting so i was lucky enough to get a taste of how good it can be - over head barrells starting to open up more i could only imagain how pumping the next few days would've been like.
I've been lucky to surf many place around the world from indonesia to central america to canada and I fully rate this place for its Small crowds, great waves , great accomodation also steves the man - he knows everything about the surf here- 30yrs experiance!!
I'm going back for sure!!!!!!! I cant speak highly enough about it, I've already got friends and strangers making inquires- they will not be disappionted!! THANKS HA ATAFU see you soon - Andrew and Heather

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerikerityson
There are newer reviews for Ha'atafu Beach Resort

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We had a perfect stay. This resort was relaxed, casual, friendly and pretty. The gardens were groomed every day which i love and the generous canopy of trees were mature with some bearing fruit. The stay felt like being with a Tongan family who kept a respectful distance. My four year old even found a friend his age in the family who run the resort and they spent all day cavorting in the trees and garden together. The beach is part of the only sandy/coral reef strip on Tongatapu as far as I can tell and it was right out in front of our basic but gorgeous, thatched family fale. We sighted whale spouts from the beach from the passing hump backs and it was fun to watch the surfing and kayaking out front and to snorkel over the reef. The food was just fantastic and we were catered vegan / vegetarian with ease and professionalism I rarely see anywhere. I can highly recommend the van trip around the island; we would have been lost for sure if we tried to do it ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Our stay in Ha'atafu beach resort was a family holiday of a life time. Owner Steve was away for our stay however his family and staff did him proud looking after us brilliantly. This is a relaxing, no frills, family friendly place to stay. We were able to use snorkelling gear, kayaks, surf boards and hire a car as required.
The other reviews about the wonderful food are all true.....amazing breakfast and buffet dinners.....and great coffee! Only a short walk to other resorts where there are bars and Friday night entertainment. The beach in front of resort is beautiful, snorkelling and swimming great. Surfing good too. Yes cold showers and shared bathroom/communal dining however always spotless! Great value for money for a family with 3 teenagers! Ka pai!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Ha'atafu is basic, unpretentious and perfect for a quiet escape from the tourist traps. For what I was after, it was a great alternative to Bali for example. Great location, fantastic beach right out the front, snorkelling, surfing, friendly people... What really is the standout at Ha'atafu though is the food. It is incredible, and there is so much of it. The all you can eat dinners are EPIC, you will be blown away. By far the best food I have ever had on a surf trip, and when you consider it is included in your accomodation rate, represents exceptional value. I have had horror food poisoning in Indo and Fiji, and at places that charge a lot more than Ha'atafu too. Good food is not a luxury on a holiday, it is a necessity! Steve is a guru and knows pretty much everything worth knowing about the conditions, and I like it how he has developed such a quiet, friendly environment for people like myself who just want to have fun without drugs and all the other nonsense of Bali etc.. I don't think I have ever felt healthier than when I am leaving Tonga, all that sun, exercise and great food! The only problem is the consistency of the surf- unfortunately it goes flat for weeks, even months at a time as it needs a MASSIVE sw swell to break. In all honesty if it wasn't for this frustrating lack of consistency, I'd never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I loved my stay here, i thought the price was very reasonable, especially since it includes breakfast and dinner, which is HUGE! So much food! The huts were basic but quaint. And i spent all my time outside anyway so all i needed was a bed to sleep on. Because they have communal eating/tv/common room, you get to hang with the other people staying there, which is perfect for a solo traveller.

The beach is the best on Tongatapu, without a doubt. Snorkelling AND surfing about 150 metres off the shore. Amazing.

Would definitely stay again, no doubt.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2009

the huts are basic the showers are cold but this is still one of the best places to stay
on the island. food is great , bring along your beer as they havent got liquor licence and steve will let you put them in his fridge. Its not the ritz but a no frills chill out beach location

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed for two weeks for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. Yes it is not 5 star but the resort is clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the food was brilliant. The fale's are basic but clean and liveable. Whilst the surf didn't eventuate whilst we were there the snorkelling kept us busy and didn't leave us disappointed. Steve and his family made us feel welcome and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The price was reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Kanokupolu
Royal Sunset Island Resort
Royal Sunset Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Atata Island

Been to Ha'atafu Beach Resort? Share your experiences!