“Feels like you're on another planet”
Review of Salar de Uyuni

Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Uyuni
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The world's largest salt plain is a popular and scenic destination for tour groups.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 11, 2015

After spending the day on the Salar, I started to feel like I was on another planet. The landscape is amazing and not like anything that you will see anywhere else. My husband and I spent a day with a private tour guide and while we both felt that it was long enough to really see the flats, I do wish that we had the opportunity to see it after the rain when you have the mirror effect, so maybe one day I will come back. This was one of my bucket list items and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see it. I highly recommend if you are anywhere in the proximity of the Salar and are able to make it part of your trip.

4  Thank melissac21
Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"salt hotel"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2015

It takes a lot of hardship to get to the Salar(even by bus), but when you get the first glimpse of this place; it makes it all worth it.

1  Thank Adrianstevan
Reviewed August 6, 2015 via mobile

The Salar de Uyuni is just breathtaking.

The landscape changes every time you look in another direction - from deserts to mountains and active volcanos to the salt flats themselves - which look like massive plains of ice. There are "islands" popping out of the salt flats, amazing rock formations, stunning lagoons, the mud spitting geysers, mirages in the distance....... it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. The sunrises and sunsets and the stars you can see at night are just spectacular.

I did a three day two night 4x4 "Safari" and got to stay in a couple of salt Eco lodges which was a fab experience too - although the temperatures can plummet to minus twenty at night in June so make sure you're well prepared with thermals.

My visit to the salt flats was definitely one of the highlights of my trip across South America.

1  Thank cazbatt
Reviewed July 31, 2015 via mobile

We did the 3-day tour from Uyuni to San Pedro and the Salar de Uyuni is definitely worth a visit if you are heading south. Be warned though the 2nd night is extremely cold so bring cold weather gear (was -15C when we were there in July)

See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2015

This is an incredible experience. In winter months, there's no rain, so you will be looking at a big white expanse. the salt layer in many areas form a beautiful hexagonal pattern. This is after all the world's largest salt flat. There are "islands" in the salar. The oft visited one is the Isla Incahausi with its magical cacti.
During the rainy months, there forms a layer of water over the salt and this makes for one large reflective mirror.
The visit to the salar is part of a 3 or 4 day trip with a guide on a 4x4. If you don't want to see anything other than the salt flat, it can be done as a day trip from Uyuni.

2  Thank KANewYork