“A definite Highlight.”

Private Volcano Tunupa and Uyuni Salt Flats Full-Day Tour from Uyuni
Ranked #1 of 37 things to do in Uyuni
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The world's largest salt plain is a popular and scenic destination for tour groups.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I did the 3 day Salar tour from San Pedro de Atacama with Estrella del Sur Tours. After the border formalities we were split into two groups (our tour had 12 people). And breakfast is served. Its then onto the tour.

Our driver Sielo (not sure of spelling). Sielo only spoke spanish, which was fine - pretty much all the drivers only. But through the trip, he was extremely good. He was willing to answer questions and he drove considerably well and safe throughout the trip. Our last meal (lunch after the Salar) he had his family cook our lunch and join us - which I thought was a wonderful touch.

The meals overall were standard. Nothing amazing. But it wasn't bad. It was a good portion and filling. All meals included a 2L bottle of Water and Coke.

The scenery throughout South-West Bolivia is absolutely incredible. It is a rugged and wild beauty. And its definitely an out of this world area. Its literally breathtaking. A place that you cannot get tired of. I wish that the tours actually went a bit longer so we could have more time to explore some of the places.

The accommodation is basic. But lets face it, you are in the middle of nowhere. And you are lucky to have a bed.

Overall, the tour provided everything that was needed for it. And it lived up to the expectation of one of the 'must sees' of South America.

4  Thank TrentBlomfield

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The salt flats in Bolivia are one of the coolest things I have ever seen!! It is very big and bright, and you can see for miles...and miles...and miles...all the way to the horizon. Cool place to do unique perspective shots! We drove for miles along the flats, to the Isle Del Sol, and hiked around there a bit. We also saw how they processed salt, and went to a cool train cemetary where you could climb on, under, and around all these cool abandoned trains. I love to climb on stuff so I thought this was awesome!!

1  Thank rtraveler2004
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We had read some terrifying reviews on TA re guides for Uyni but were pleasantly surprised with this company. Despite not paying extra for an English speaking guide we got one anyway which was cool as my Spanish is far from fluent, the cars were in good order and the food (especially the lunches) was excellent. the accomodation was basic (don't expect hot showers!), but more than adequate and the guides were friendly and helpful. we even had a campfire on the last night on the accomodation by the lake which handily has a little shop which sold beers and snacks. If you are reading this I don't need to convince you its worth going for the scenery alone but you could do worse than going with Quechua Connections.

2  Thank Heidi B
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were lucky enough to find this company and Jose. He replied our email promptly. He was very helpful and spoke very good english.

the tour was perfect. covering all places we would like to see. the sights and scenes were wonderful.

the tour starts with a pack of SUVs. we didn't like that at the beginning as there were other people who might slow you down or they went into your camera viewfinder. but then later we found it essential as the SUVs could break down anytime when driving on salt water. no telephone reception or help could be found during the trip. so the groups can help each other.

we visited a few salt flat from the dried ones to the wet ones which you can see a bit of mirror effect during end of Dec/ early Jan. we only wish that we could spend a bit more time on the wet salt flat instead of the one that was dried and funny pictures were taken there.

1  Thank Wanson
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We did the 4 day tour from Tupiza with La Torre tours, which finished on the Salar on day 4. Unfortunately we were not able to stay at one of the salt hotels on the Salar because of water on the Salar. Normally we would have driven over the Salar, apparently at a speed of 120 kph. As it was, we spent the night in Uyuni and drove the 20 km out to the Salar the next day in time to catch the sunrise. We drove over the Salar at a speed of around 5kph, to a salt hotel on the outskirts. Here we watched the sunrise and had breakfast.
At the hotel it was interesting to see a building and furniture all made of salt, and at breakfast it was fun to scrape some salt off one of the pillars for my eggs.
Make sure you bring a pair of rubber thongs (flip flops) if you go in the rainy season. I didn’t, and wrecked my only pair of shoes. Then I took them off and had to suffer the sharp edges of the salt on my bare feet. Also some face cream as the sun and salt is very harsh on the skin.
Obviously without the water it would have been better, but we still managed to have a lot of fun, and the experience was spectacular beyond my expectations. It’s good for trick photography because there is no horizon, just a blank white canvas (see my photos).

2  Thank Kanan A