“Fit our needs perfectly”

Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #3 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Uyuni
New York City, New York
“Fit our needs perfectly”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

For a lot of people coming into Uyuni, you're looking for a place to stay the night so that you can take off for the salt flats the next day. I would suggest Piedra Blanca.

Stayed in room 4, the 2 bed with private bathroom. Stayed in May, so the heater was appreciated. Clean comforters, and warm. You'll wish you were in these comforters when you're sleeping in the flats. Very quiet at night (and from the daytime from what i saw). Reliable hot shower, and there's a laundry sink you can use outside if you need. They have wood lockers, but bring your own lock. Or you can store your gear downstairs by the desk, but I personally would not do this. The front desk is often empty, so high risk of theft.

Great location, I was able to get good reception through my Tigo phone. You're right across the plaza from an internet cafe which has reliable speeds, enough to skype without breaks. You're right in the middle of at least 3 stores to buy water, snacks, toilet paper for your travels ahead.

Agree that the carpet is not the newest, and the paint may need a once-over, but to tell you the truth, these will be after-thoughts. Right around the corner from many tour operators, so you don't have to rush in the morning to meet up with your guide. You're also by an atm if you need cash. You're also around the corner from BOA if you need to book your flight out. Also one block from the train station if you're going to go that route.

For the average 1 night staging area, it's hard to pass on this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed only one night in mid-April in a double room with private bathroom after completing the San Pedro to Uyuni tour. This reasonably priced hostel is located on the central plaza area, close to the office of Cordillera Traveler where our tour terminated, and surrounded by a substantial choice of pizzerias. Comfortable warm beds, great hot water, staff helpful with directions and recommendations regarding buses for the onward journey. Breakfast was standard for Bolivia – bread and jam with tea, coffee etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Me and my friends stayed here after completing the tour of the Bolivian salt flats. When we checked in initially we were informed by a gentleman, whom I believe was the owner, that we would be able to get "unlimited showers." Very important after you´ve spent 3 days with no electricity and barely any running water...

However when we actually went for a hot, warm shower, my friend was told very abruptly by the owner´s little female sidekick that she´d "had her 10 minutes." Whilst she was actually in the shower may I add, Charming! She then stationed herself outside the bathroom and was a constant presence throughout our stay.

The following day I was brushing my teeth and she came in and snapped at me before cutting in and turning the water off! When she left the bathroom she´d obviously watched me from outside as she came in again and turned the tap off when I went to use the water again. I found this extremely rude. Whatever happened to service with a smile?

I went to use a plug point to charge my phone in my room and noticed there were scorch marks on the sockets which made me a little apprehensive.

There are plenty of other nice, clean hostels to stay in Uyuni. I would not recommend this place to anyone. It´s overpriced for what it is and I found the owners cheeky and contemptuous.

Room Tip: Don´t go here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Suzanne335

Travelers are raving about these Uyuni hotels

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after finishing the salt flat tour and had an early morning flight the bed day. The hostel was perfect for this; clean, large spacious room. location is perfect, right on the main pedestrianised road/square with all the restaurants on.
Our double room (no bathroom) was nice, very large and spacious.
Shared bathroom fine as well.
Didnt have huge amounts of interactions with the staff, but seemed friendly and helpful enough.
No wifi, but as other reviews state this is the norm, furthermore we went to an Internet cafe and it was like going back to the days of dial-up but worse, so not having wifi is no loss.
We left before breakfast so I can't comment.

As said before, ideal for what we wanted it for - clean up and recover after the tour.

Stayed may 2013 as a couple.

• Stayed May 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2013

It was super spartan, but clean, and located on the main drag in Uyuni. We booked a private ensuite and the room was cavernous, but completely barren. The best things about the place: plenty of hot water and very warm sheets/blankets. They also have a TV room with cable. The breakfast was negligible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in a double ensuite room on the ground floor, before we headed for our tour of the Salar on the way to San Pedro de Atacama.
Our room was very basic, nothing fancy about it but fair for the price we paid. Bed linen was clean and the shower had reliable hot water.
Breakfast is again very basic, tea, coffee, milk, butter and bread. It is served in the main building, a wooden frame building that is very squeaky which can annoy the light sleepers. Would therefore advise for a ground floor room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night in November before heading out on our Salt Flats Tour. I had a private room, private bathroom. My friends had the same.

The good - Hot shower, warm sheets, comfy bed, good location.

The bad - Shower doesn't drain properly, so they have a wooded platform for you to stand on...
- No heating
- Dirty carpet
- Carpet coming up in places
- Bad paint job
- Breakfast was only bread...nothing else
- When we arrived we found the location hard to find...it wasn't very well signed, and even the locals didn't seem to know where it was when we asked....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends