“Pay the extra $$$ and go with Red Planet !!!!”
Review of Uyuni Tours

Uyuni Tours
Ranked #14 of 30 Outdoor Activities in Uyuni
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Yes Red Planet is more expensive then other companies BUT it is well worth the 1200 bolivianos you pay.
1st~ fluent english guide (louis was fantastic ) and our driver wilson refused even a sip of beer over the entire trip ... Plus you travel as a convoy of at least 2 jeeps, so if you do break down you have some help available!
2nd~ food provided was fantastic , even given chocolate bars as sugar helps with the high altitude! Wine also provided on the last night.
3rd and best of all, on the final night you do stay in very basic accommodation BUT you stay 50m from the thermal pools (other tour companies go to these pools on the morning of the 3rd day) imagine below 0° conditions whilst sitting in a thermal pool with the most picturesque night sky as your backdrop, words can not describe it (for us this was better then the actual salt flat itself )
So do yourself a favour and go with Red Planet :)

3  Thank 8433tiff
All reviews
"la paz"
in 15 reviews
"red planet"
in 12 reviews
"recommend this tour company"
in 3 reviews
"accommodation"
in 12 reviews
"benjamin"

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We decided to book our tour in the morning. I went to the offices of the few recommended tours by my travel book but they were already booked. A guy I met who was staying at the same hotel as us recommended Empexsa. He was going with them that day as well. I decided to go with Empexsa. The tour was 800 bolivianos for three days. We booked for two of us.

They were supposed to pick us up around 10:00 to 10:30. They did not arrive until 11:30 after we made few phone calls. When we arrived, we realized there were already 5 people in there which will make the tour for 7 people instead of 6. We were angry but the driver was not in charge and he took us to the lady I talked in the morning. She mentioned that she did not have a choice since she could not find any two persons group so she had to sign up three people group which was available. After 10 minutes on heated debate, we decided to continue because my brother did not have an extra day to wait.

We left around 12:00 from the town. The driver skipped Hotel de Sal without telling us however before that we wasted 45 minutes shopping in Colchani.
We did not get lunch as well. In the evening, he took us to hostel in Atullcha where we were given soup and bread for lunch at 6:00. We were promised that first day we would get a room with private toilet, however we would have to share the bathroom. However, this place did not have private toilet. I had another discussion with driver, who told me that you either stay here or stay outside of the hotel. Actually, the plan was to stay more south in San Juan but somehow this driver did not want to go there. In the evening, we got the same soup and bread with few other things for dinner.

For the trip, the dinner food was ok but lunch was not that good. The last day he skipped multiple places on the way back. The guy from our hotel who recommended the trip was very happy with his driver and his experience. According to him, Empexsa decided to sell us to some other cheap agency.

I was staying one more day in Uyuni so next day I went to office of Empexsa around rush hour time of 10:00 and decided to put my point across to the lady I talked earlier while other customers were present. She asked me to come back later but I insisted on talking to her then. She apologized for all inconvenience and told me that the driver screwed us up and not her. She offered me 100 bolivianos back total for both of us which I refused. In the end she ended us giving us 200 bolivianos back for inconvenience.

5  Thank travelsoni
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife have booked their 3 days 2 nights tour. The manager have confirmed they could provide English speaking guide in email. As such, we confirmed the booking and paid cash to his assistant in Uyuni office. However, the tours guide provided is Spanish speaking. As such, I aaked the assistant to clarify this and she asked me to do tour first. After tour, manager will back to office at Uyuni to discuss about this. I have done the tour today and found that the office door have been locked and nobody replied. I felt discouraging. Because, during the tour, only Spanish guide provided. My situation was similar to employ a driver without guide. I felt this company is dishonest. For those who are not Spanish speaker, I advised you don't join their tour!!!

5  Thank Lamlokki
Reviewed April 26, 2014

When we had to decide on who to book our tour to Uyuni with we had the same problem as everyone else. How to make a decision?? We went to the tourism office in Uyuni where they weren´t helpful at all but they have a book where people can leave comments on their experiences coming from Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama. A few people mentioned a positive experience with Estrella del Sur so we decided to go to their office and based on the way they helped us there we booked the tour with them.

Before leaving we also decided not to have many expectations in order not to be disappointed. At the end of our trip our experience turned out to be the complete opposite!!
Our guide Gilmar was excellent! A very friendly and enthusiastic guy who enjoys his job! First of all he was always telling us clearly what the program was for the day, where we were going, how long it would take etc. He also knew a lot about the region, plants, animals, etc. I have to say we did ask him lots of questions as well but he knew how to answer all of them. Simple but great food with even a bottle of wine on the second night. There also were some pleasant surprises such as a hot water bottle for each of us on the first night when it was quite cold. Finally he always made sure we were the first ones to leave so we also were the first to get to the next spot to take pictures etc!!

All together a great experience and we can really recommend Estrella del Sur!
PS. Speaking to people who had done the tour with other companies it turned out the majority had had a good experience!! Don’t believe the Lonely Planet which says that none of them are good! A lot of people out there are working hard to make sure you have a great time!

9  Thank Anneloes v