“What a Joke...”

Colque Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #40 of 48 Tours in Uyuni
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Definately cheaper and here is why: When we got to border crossing Colque had no jeep for 7 people so we had to go with some guy from another agency who had a 7 seater (bearing in mind his jeep was already having a few problems). To be fair the first day was fine, saw everything planned , the meals were good and the accomodation was as expected, simple and cold. The only problem here was that there were no sleeping bags for hire or oxygen bottle in jeep which was not what we'd been told. From this point it al went downhill: 2nd day we did not take the route we were supposed to so didnt see half the villages and our "guide" (just a driver) took us straight to uyuni to sleep in a hotel instead of sleeping in a salt hostal in the salaar... We were given at least 5 different excuses as to why we couldn't sleep in salaar. We were the ONLY tour who had to sleep in Uyuni (which btw is the biggest dump to put it politely).So ok we got a hotel instead with hot water: lies again. We were then asked if the next day we wanted to do sunrise on the salaar or not, of course we all said yes as we were already supposed to have done sunset, next scam: they cancelled our lunch because we did sunrise instead... NOT PART OF THE DEAL! I would like to add that 2 people on our tour booked the ride back to san pedro on 4th day and they had to go elsewhere to book transport because colque had no petrol or driver available to take them back.To top it all when we complained it was like talking to a brick wall,don't expect compensation they are liars, thieves and just a total joke...

6  Thank mel1637

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I really believe the reviews people wrote here, but I think it is just a matter of bad luck. I read these reviews the day before we left, and had already booked so got really scared when I read all this, but our trip was really good.
The only negative thing was that the driver did not speak a word of English and the other 4 tourists did not speak Spanisch = bad combination. Luckely we speak some Spanisch, but in general our driver did not speak a lot, except when we asked something.
The food was good, we only had one flat tire, the hotels were good, ... Nothing to complain about

2  Thank steviedrien
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We booked a tour for my husband and I for 4 days. In that time we had 6 changes of vehicle and an attempt by them to change our itinerary to stay at a hotel owned by the company which would have meant an 8 hour drive the last day instead of splitting the travel. They did not provide photo stops unless you really forced the issue (ie opened the door) and the vehicles were second rate. (cloudy windows you could not see through, no seat belts and no help with getting luggage in and out of the car (6 times). One Colquey driver stole the mobile phone of a young traveller who we came across while she was walking on the salt flats and people confirmed he was seen with it and had sold it. The agency in San Pedro
told us totally incorrect things about the availability of Bolivianos. We had a guide who could speak English but was completely unbriefed by the company and really had no idea..which was not her fault. Nonetheless by being bolshy, sticking to our guns and not putting up with
Their attempts to defray costs we managed and saw some wonderful things.

6  Thank RovingTori
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I used Colque tours and yes they were cheap, in fact significantly cheaper than anyone else, and if I wanted better service I would have paid more?
The jeep we were in was very old but it did the job, the driver could speak NO English but to be honest were in foreign country so it is up to us to learn the language.
We saw 90% of what we had planned to do.
I would however like to add that my heart goes out to people that suffered immense harm whilst using this company I hope that Colque have learned from those errors and gave better service (like they did with me and my group)

1  Thank dilmx
See more reviews
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We booked a 3-day 2-night tour from San Pedro de Atacama, Chile, to Uyuni. Bolivia.
1 Bus to collect us, arrived nearly 1 hour late. 2 Bus did not collect all passengers and left 2 people to stagger to the border crossing by themselves (where they joined us). making a party of 12 in 2 Landcruisers 3 Driver in Bolivia who collected us from the border drank a lot, though did drive slowly and managed. 4 We arrived at the destination for the first day at 2:00 p.m. instead of 6:00 so had too much time hanging around (time goes slowly in the Bolivian mountains, believe me). 5 Second day, new driver, thank goodness, who was very professional and talkative - remarkable considering that he had driven all night to pick us up and could hardly stay awake to drive. 6 Third morning we were told that the Uynui Salt Flats had a lot of high water and that we needed to get into a bus instead of the Toyota Landcruisers we had been using. The bus was at least 40 years old, could hardly start, belched oily smoke, and had shot suspension. The story about the high water was total BS; Colque wanted the jeeps for another party. After arguing for 90 minutes another jeep miraculously appeared and we went in the bus and jeep. 7 Five of our group were supposed to go from Uyuni that evening back to San Pedro; they were told that they had to wait until the next day.
Having said all that, for US$140, can you complain? Bad food, poor accommodation, and drivers you cannot be sure of seem to be the norm for this neck of the woods.
I would advise anyone to take this trip, it is one of the most remarkable things you can do. With Colque tours, though? Please God, there must be better available.

2  Thank Tokyo-Thompson