“Perfect Place to Clean Up and Chow Down After Your Salt Flat Trip”
Review of Tonito Hotel

Tonito Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Uyuni B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Let me start by saying, there's no need in the entire world to ever stay in Uyuni. UNLESS you're coming/going on a salt flat tour. Because most tours end late in the afternoon, and most buses leaving Uyuni leave in the morning (strategic, right?), you might have to spend the night in Uyuni. After 3 days coming from San Pedro to Uyuni on a tour, we went immediately to Tonito Hotel and didn't leave until we headed to Potosi the next day. The rooms are comfortable. The beds perfect. The water hot. The hotel safe. And the food. AH! After eating unidentifiable food for 3 days in the dessert, the pizza at Minutemen Pizza was well received. And the breakfast buffet was also amazing. You roll your eyes now, but just you wait when you've been in Bolivia for a while and haven't had quality food. When you too encounter bagels and english muffins, then you'll understand. ;) A great book exchange and decent speed WIFI. There's a tour agency next door that will help you with bus tickets (will recommend the "safe" companies and tours. If you have to stay in Uyuni, I recommend Tonito.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank quesofundido

Reviewed February 11, 2011

eventhough there is a lot going on and you can get to know lots of people, they are quite strict about the quiet time at night which i liked!
plus they serve the best breakfast in south-america and the pizzas in the evening are also outstanding!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank FreddyandPam
Reviewed December 5, 2010

The hotel was really great and had one of the best breakfasts. The Minuteman Pizza had great food and the owner was really helpful and let us continue to use the facilities after we had checked out and were waiting for our late night bus. Also one of the best book exchanges in South America.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzieLee71
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I have travelled a lot and never felt compelled to write an online review until now.

Being the middle of winter, my wife and I decided to splurge and stay in Uyuni´s most expensive hotel because they had heated rooms with hot water showers. When I called to make a reservation, I knew that the power supply in Uyuni was out, and the person on the phone assured me that if the electricity was not on when we stayed (thus allowing heating), we could certainly negotiate on the price which was around US$60 per night.

As it turned out, there was no power for the two nights we were in the hotel, and this meant we were not only in the dark the whole time, but had no heating at all. It was absolutely freezing in our room. There is no generator at the hotel except to provide power for the restaurant. The two nights we spent there were bitterly cold and miserable, so I was very ready to talk to them about the price of the room, considering all the hotel had to pay for was a change of sheets and a vacuum of the floor - no electricity means very low running costs.

I was dumbfounded when they told me upon checkout that the price was going to be discounted by 10%. I told them that US$55 was a long way from a fair price to charge for a room with no heating and no lights, which started a big argument with the man on the desk. The manager was not available to discuss the matter with me (surprise surprise), and after a long and difficult debate I was left with no option but to pay, and left the hotel feeling completely cheated. They wouldn´t even let me and my wife have a shower there after our salt flats tour despite us offering to pay for the privilege.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ADHK
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Panicked when we drove into Uyuni, but then sighed a huge sigh of relief when we got to the hotel - clean, courteous and the restaurant had the best pizzas - the breakfast really good, and the first decent coffee since Santiago - the place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank intrepidtraveller13
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We arrived at this hotel late at night coming from Puno by bus (a 10 hour drive). Our tour guide contacted the hotel somewhere in the afternoon and arranged a late diner (11:30PM). Thumbs up for the staff staying up so late to warm our pizza! Really enjoyed this! The American breakfast was also excellent. Unfortunately not all the staff is so helpful. For instance, you should NOT leave your laundry with them. It will most certainly come back dirty and sending it back will not help much. This I a problem in all of Bolivia. My advise: keep you clothes on or buy new ones.

Our room at the Tonito was near the front of the hotel at the small "plaza". Probably the oldest part of the hotel considering the looks of our room. The bed was dirty and uncomfortable and there was no heating (in winter time). Also, they must have had the worst painter and flooring company ever. The situation in our bathroom was worst. It was cold, small and dirty. (I will upload some photo's later) Oh, we also had a leaking toilet, which of course they promised to fix asap (uhuh).

Some group members told me the rooms at the back of the hotel (the new part) are better. So, make sure you get one of these when you visit. Advise to hotel management: renovate the rooms at the front, fire the guys at the reception and change laundry company.

Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed October 19, 2009

All the guide books recommended this hotel in Uyuni but clearly the reviews were from years ago.
Rude and incompetent staff, dirty room and their travel agency was totally useless and overpriced.
I really enjoyed Bolivia and the locals but this was the worst experience of our trip.
You would be better off in a cheaper hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple