“lackluster service marred otherwise enjoyable dinner”
Review of Terruno Gourmet

Terruno Gourmet
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Cafayate
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We looked forward to dinner at this restaurant based on the recommendation of the owner of our hotel and on online reviews. Our main coursel was in fact excellent--rabbit prepared on a bed of corn puree (with a texture somewhat like polenta, but much richer and quite delicious). However, service was very uneven. Our enjoyment of our first course was marred by the fact that my husband's arrived in a timely fashion, but I was made to wait for a considerable time for mine, which meant that (after my encouragement for him to not wait any longer or his dish would become cold) he wound up sitting and watching me eat my soup long after he was done. It's not clear whether the server simply forgot initially to place the order for my starter--but since soup isn't something made to order, it's hard to imagine what other cause there could have been for the delay.

So--we'd recommend, based on the food, but forewarn others that service may well be seriously lacking.

There are newer reviews for Terruno Gourmet

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was skeptical as this restaurant is right on the main square, but it did not feel like a tourist trap! I had the ravioli which was absolutely divine. My friend had corn crepe or tortilla (sorry can't remember!) but that wasn't so great. My other friend really enjoyed the pork loin. We discovered an excellent wine at the restaurant (Domingo Hermanos) and loved the dessert. Friendly, attentive staff as well.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Last month, on our first night in Cafayate, we went for dineer to Terruño Gourmet, as the restaurant looked very nice and the menu sounded attractive. My wife and I shared one of the specials of the day (Sirloin Steak with Quinoa Salad), which arrived at the table tepid and almost raw (we sent it back to have it grilled a bit longer, which the waiter didn't much like, and his face showed it)
To our surprise it came back three minutes later, with clear signs of having being nuked in a microwave. That night I woke up sick, and my wife had to spent the whole next 24 hours in bed, with vomits and diarrhea.
A place to avoid like the plague!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Nice place to eat outside or inside. Service is friendly. Atmosphere comfortable. Menu is confusing because there are two; the "gourmet" and "pedestrian" - frankly I could not figure out why they needed to be separated but confusion is often par for the course in Argentina. We ate here couple times during the course of week. I ordered rucula with quinoa each time which although was not on menu was created for me. The quinoa in this area is really good. One night I tried a chicken cutlet breaded in quinoa which was different and unique so fun. Our three year old devoured the lomo so he liked it. I ordered bife de chorizo which was little tough but grilled well. My wife had the Salmon which she reported was quite good. Another night she had quinoa soup which she also reported was excellent and again unique. She also tried a few of their salads which she liked. Most importantly, traveling with 3 year old is never easy but this place made it easy for us in every way.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We went to this restaurant after reading the reviews and to be honest I think this restaurant is a bit overrated. The service was very nice indeed, the food however is very average and therefore over priced compared to other restaurants. The place is only visited by tourists so you would almost forget you are in Cafayate.
Overall I think it's a good and safe place to eat but if you look a bit beyond the plaza you will find some very nice restaurants with better food, atmosphere and a bit more local ambiance.