“A little expensive for the family”
Review of Ron Coleman Mine

Ron Coleman Mine
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family owned quartz crystal mine that is 5 generations strong. We offer quartz mining for the public, zip lining across our 250 foot deep pit, and tours of our entire mining operation. Groups welcome with special pricing!
Houston, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A little expensive for the family”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

As a tourist family, I found this mine to be pretty expensive. It's probably worth the money if you're planning to spend hours and hours there digging, but I have two smaller children so we weren't able to spend that much time there. We found only one actual crystal between all of us, though we did take home a bunch of large chunks of quartz for our garden, so it was worth what we paid to get in. As a family, just looking to dig for crystals for the experience, I found that I prefer the Jim Coleman mine. It's cheaper, and we had better success.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank deathraygoat

Portage, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Truly a adventure!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The ladies in the shop were all very nice and very helpful. The digging fees were fair and not over priced. Once the rules of digging were explained and instructions of where to park were given, then onto the digging adventure. We( 3 adults and a 3yr old)dug for 6 hours and the time passed so quickly it seemed like only 30 minutes. The 3 year old loved it and didn't really want to leave. We left with crystal clusters, crystal points, crystal rock slabs and all the crystal possible to fit in the trunk of a car, next year I'm renting a van. Yes I plan to make the trip to Ron Colmans again next year and I wil stay for more then one day.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kate49002
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great place for a rock hound”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Surprised myself and my family. You actually get to see the working mine and then mine the tailings (?). As a non-rock hound, I still found the experience very gratifying and it was impossible not to leave with as many crystals as you wanted. Be prepared to get dirty and you may want to bring a wagon to help carry your treasures.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank StephanieG542
Bryson City, North Carolina
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“fun place to visit”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great way to learn (and see) where crystals come from...don't have to get dirty and dig...can just watch. Lots of good finished (or ready to finish) crystals and rocks available. Helpful knowledgeable staff.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank itchyfeetx2
Lamar, Arkansas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Easy to Find Crystals!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

You get to mine the waste rock and tailing piles, It's easy. Buy your ticket at mine, That way owner gets it all. Nice fellow with plenty of advice.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank andermac

Been to Ron Coleman Mine? Share your experiences!