“Clean & Convenient...but not much else”
Review of Arkansas House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jasper
Arkansas House
Ranked #1 of 4 Jasper B&B and Inns
Bryson City, North Carolina
“Clean & Convenient...but not much else”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The biggest plus for Arkansas House is its convenient location on the boardwalk in Jasper. The next biggest plus is that it is clean and fairly well maintained. After that, there's not much else.

The owners need a class in "Hospitality 101". It was fairly difficult to find anyone to check us in. We pulled into the parking space in front of the property and then had to figure out whether to walk left or right to find the "office". Fortunately, we went left and then turned right to follow the boardwalk to what looked like an entrance. Once inside the door, we had to figure out what to do next...so we walked into the "great room" and found a sign on the breakfast bar telling us to pick up the phone and call a number (which was the restaurant). We were then told to walk to the restaurant to "check in". So I guess we should have walked "right" when we got out of the car!. Inside the restaurant a woman came up to us, we identified ourselves (she didn't), and were told to 'follow her to our room". So we followed along compliantly, but there was no "chatting up the hotel or the area". Turns out, the door to the suite foyer was in front of where we parked! The lady (still don't know who she was), opened the foyer door and told us to always keep it locked. She then opened our suite door, showed us the envelope on the table with our credit card receipts, handed us the key, and left. No overview of the suite or the hotel and its amenities. No mention of the time and location of the "continental breakfast". No discussion of the great room and its games or activities available. No mention of the beautiful garden out back. And nary a word about their "famous organic cafe". Not a word about the gift shop (in the cafe) selling local products and food items....NADA. Okay...I figured I was a bright experienced traveler...I could read the room directory or other "literature" in the room or great room. Imagine my surprise on finding nary a piece of paper or sign or anything explaining anything...anywhere! The only sign was the "no smoking in the room...else huge fine added to your credit card for cleaning".

I was there 2 nights, and I never once again saw the mystery woman (assumed it was the innkeeper's wife). Several times I saw a man (assumed it was the woman's husband). However, never once did he say "hello", ask how my stay was, ask if I needed anything, or even how I was enjoying the Jasper and Buffalo River area. The checkout was equally as strange...just leave the key in the room and close the door...okay, but what time was "checkout"? Very, very strange. I have never had an innkeeper experience quite like this; why would people who seem to HATE interactions with people be in the hospitality industry??? The front desk folks at a Days Inn or Motel 6 are more friendly, welcoming, and informative!

So enough about the lack of hospitality. The rooms are comfortable, very clean (a major consideration for me), and appeared to be well maintained. However, the 2 suites are located right on main street and can be quite noisy. I didn't want to open the drapes as the suite's 2 windows were right on the boardwalk; so the suite was very dark. The bed linens were organic cotton (nice) and the bed was very comfortable. However, I would have preferred having an additional pillow (found one in the living room closed and found a pillow case by rummaging around in the room's furniture). The shower and jetted tub were very nice

The continental breakfast was "okay". The buffet sign said the blueberry scones and cinnamon rolls were homemade...and they tasted like it (pretty good). The sign said the coffee was organic Costa Rican...and it was good. It would have been nice to have juice or granola...but oh well. Again, never saw anyone (other than other guests) the 2 mornings I was there...are the innkeeper's hermits or shy or afraid of people???? I guess I am just used to innkeeper's being ambassadors for the area and cheerleaders for their property.

Unfortunately, I didn't try the "famous organic cafe". It would have been nice to have a menu in the room as well as some indication of the cafe's operating hours/days.

All in all, a very strange and somewhat disappointing experience. If I am in Jasper again, I'm not sure if I would stay at Arkansas House...I may try the other places in town first.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank itchyfeetx2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Irving, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I visited this place this Mid April 2012. One of the amazing places to stay in the entire "Newton County". Joseph and Janet were very welcoming. I had the preivilege to stay at the "Cabin behind the river". The setup, the scenic, the front side garden, the river view from the back of the house. As specified on their website you throw a stone from the cabin and it drops in Lower buffalo flowing behind the cabin.

Beautiful wild flowers carefully nurtured to grow around the cabin. The stay was very very serene. After a day of outdoor and wilderness an evening shower in their Jaccuzzi is just complete. The Cabin kitchen has all its amenities clean and aligned for people to help themselves.

Last and best their food. The Cafe and their hand selected morning break fast, I say one must visit this place shearly to experience what so many of us who have been here experienced.

Room Tip: Cabin on the river - It's quite a house actually which can accomodate 8 people. The quality of s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Lakshmi M
Oklahoma
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We have stayed at the Arkansas House for many years, and have always had a wonderful experience. It has only gotten better over the years. Joseph and Janet are amazing people, friendly, fun to be around, and both have a wealth of information about the people and places of Newton County. We usually stay in one of the two ground floor suites, but they were both booked so we stayed in the Treetop Room on the second floor. We discovered that we really like this room too; it has it's own balcony with a table and chairs, where we sat in the evening with a nice glass of wine and watched the sun go down behind the mountain. It's roomy, elegantly furnished with antiques, and looks out over the beautiful garden behind the main building. We love this place.

Room Tip: The suites have a living room and bedroom, so a little more comfortable for tv-watching etc., but we...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank duatista
Roland, Arkansas
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We were going to see the elk and remembered seeing the place last year. So, we decided to give it a try. We had the Treetop room. It had two double beds, a large bathroom and private balcony. The beds were very comfortable. The room was clean. The downstairs commom area had a large screen TV, two dining tables, chairs. There were DVD's to watch. This would be great if several couples were together. I had to go to the restaurant to get ice. The breakfast was cinnamon rolls and scones. They were good, but I enjoy a full breakfast. The coffee was great- freshly brewed. We did have dinner at the restaurant. The veggie stir fry was wonderful. A huge serving. The salad was so fresh and dressing tasty. My husband had the buffalo steak. He enjoyed it. We will make a return visit. We did not use the WiFi. We felt the room was worth the cost. After reading other review, we took our own ice chest for drinks.

Room Tip: Loved our room with private balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah M
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I think the inn is classified as a bed and breakfast (although the breakfast is actually continental), and since we are used to large chain hotels, it seemed different at first. We stayed in "Mother's Room." The room was relatively small, but the bathroom was very large.

We did not have a fridge or microwave but I believe the suites do. The bed in our unit is a double and the sheets are very comfortable. They have wi-fi and TV with cable, including a couple of premium movie channels. The room has an individual climate control. This historic building is almost 80 years old, is kept up nicely, and has very interesting details. Oh, and the furnishings are antique. Keep the television off, and you can pretend you have stepped back in time.

The common room is charming and old fashioned. The breakfast is what I'd consider continental, but was good. There were blueberry scones and sweet rolls--oh, and Costa Rican coffee. I brought my own bottled water, as I do not drink coffee.

At first, we were confused as to how to check in, but that was worked out. We weren't sure about local attractions but the owners were very helpful and gave us information about the area.

They also have a restaurant that serves elk and buffalo. We didn't eat there but have heard good things about it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaCarmenisha
texas
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed three nights here in September in the Rose Room. This is a lovely place. The owners and the staff are just wonderful people. So personable and friendly. The room was so comfortable and nice. The organic restaurant next door is also owned by them and the meals are the best. Their vegetable stir fry is the best. Everything is organic and so good. I can't wait to get to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank retiredlady07
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Booked a room last minute for a retreat I was attending in Murray Valley. The owner was very kind on the phone and accommodating (even though I think my call woke him up). Checked in at the restaurant and Sunshine took me to my room. The suite faced Hwy 7, but I wasn't concerned about street noise due to the fact it was off season. Liked that I could park close to my room. There was a rock band playing my second night across from the hotel, but I turned on the heater and didn't hear a thing. The refrigerator works really well and my milk froze the first night, so be sure to only put it to middle cool. The bed was very comfortable and I took a very hot bath the second night in an oversized tub. I was traveling alone and felt very safe. Liked that they had 7th generation products and organic soaps and such. I had to leave too early each morning for the continental so cannot comment. I did eat an organic veggie sandwich in the restaurant for lunch one day and it was very good and the salsa was some of the best I have ever had. Coming from the Southwest, that's a good comparison.
I also shopped at the organic shop they had and found the best dark chocolate organic granola I have ever had. It's made in Fayetteville.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank dbrallmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jasper
Hotel Seville
Holiday Inn Express Harrison
Queen Anne House
Queen Anne House
#1 of 6 in Harrison

Been to Arkansas House? Share your experiences!