“Good BBQ”

CM Smoke Artisan BBQ
Ranked #9 of 68 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Description: We will be closed to spend time with family and friends throughout the holidays. We will reopen after the first of the year MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR from all of us at CM Smoke Artisan BBQ
Reviewed July 16, 2017

Service was outstanding and the food was excellent. The wait time was minimal! The variety of foods was very good also. Fast, friendly, and very good!

Date of visit: July 2017
CM S, Owner at CM Smoke Artisan BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2017

Reviewed June 5, 2017 via mobile

I was in town and looking for some good barbecue. Looked at various Google reviews and this one stood out.

I was not disappointed.

I got the combination platter with pork butt, ribs, and brisket. I thought the brisket was out of this world! Probably the best I've had. It was so flavorful and tender. The pork butt was good as well as the ribs. But the brisket was definitely my favorite. Good variety of different barbecue sauces. About 7.
Wait staff was friendly.

Someplace I will definitely visit again next time I'm in the Little Rock area!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed June 1, 2017 via mobile

Great Q. The best sauce is the brisket sauce and is kept in the kitchen. They wrap all their meats to make sure that everything is juicy.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed April 23, 2017

went with a party of 6 for supper. Had the fried portabello mushroom apetizer-perfect with a great dipping sauce. The smoked chicken came with a beautifully browned skin and prefect moist smoked chiken. The beef brisket was perfect, well smoked and tender-served with a great brisket sauce with a little heat finish. Baked beans, mustard potato salad, fried okra and pig tail fries (potato) were all far better than average. The collard greens were outstanding. There is a wide selection of plates and ala carte items available. There is a full beer menu. The staff is very accommodating. This wouldd be a perfec place for a large roup of friends or an office party. Highly recommended. Multiple sports TVs throughout the area. Large bar.

Date of visit: April 2017
CM S, Owner at CM Smoke Artisan BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2017

Thank you for the good review. We appreciate your kind words about our food. We strive to keep the food consistent. We hope you will come back real soon, and tell your friends about us!

Reviewed April 20, 2017

Members of my wood turning club gathers here once a month before our Thursday night meetings . I had not yet attended the dinner gathering mainly because of the mixed, mostly negative, comments about the quality of the BBQ and the prices. We also have another couple we dine with once a month and it was their month to choose – this was their choice. We arrived just before noon. The place was virtually empty. Not a good sign for an in-town restaurant with many businesses near-by. Lunch crowds can be worse than dinner, and most folks choose good and reasonably priced for lunch. Obviously, this was not the local lunch crowd’s choice.

We were greeted by a very friendly waitress who was informative, kind, attentive and funny. The four of us chose different items. I, the brisket sandwich with the “spicy” BBQ baked beans and fried okra, wife the pulled pork sandwich with curly fries and corn nuggets, slaw on the side, companions BBQ Rib plate with turnip greens, corn nuggets and shredded pork plate and coconut pie.

While our companion raved about the ribs, which were utterly falling off the bones as they arrived, and the wife liked several of the sauces, our buns arrived flat and soggy – the wife’s bun was dripping with cold water. The meat was way overly wet, and obviously, in our opinion, reheated before being served. My brisket was lukewarm, but very tender and with a mild smoke flavor. Very average. I snitched a portion of the wife’s pork and found it with very little taste. It required the sauce. BBQ meat must be able to stand alone without the sauce. This did not. Really good BBQ has tender well smoke flavored meat with a sauce that compliments but does not over power the taste of the meat. CM Smoke does not meet that criteria. The sides were also mediocre and portions too small. The slaw tasted good but was served in a tiny cup. The okra was not hot and crispy and the breading was falling off as it had not covered each piece completely. The beans were mush, and the “spice” was served in a separate tiny cup. I detected no smoke flavor in the beans. The Curly fries were thick and wide. Companion liked his greens.
The pricing is a bit higher than what we are used too for lunch fare, and the dinner menu is really expensive in our opinions. For the two of us, with tip, we got out for $26 with one water and one Coke for drinks. Our companions spent $40 with both having water, and shared their slice of pie. No wonder the place did not fill up for lunch! Only a few others came in during our stay from noon through 1:30PM on a Wednesday. Both the owner – a really nice guy, and his pleasant wife came by to greet and talk. He was more interested in our companion who was raving about his ribs. I had told him the meal was “OK” and I was basically ignored from that point forward. So, they don’t want to learn? When asked about the wood used in his smoker, proprietor confirmed he uses a variety of Oak, Pecan and Hickory mix. He said he has attended several competitions, but I saw no trophies lining the wall – my apologies if I missed them. He used to run a local lunch truck and had a loyal following that encouraged him to open this brick and mortar. It is in a good location, so with a few changes, it should be successful.
I don’t see this place surviving without major changes. 1. Serve a higher quality bun for the sandwiches that will hold together. 2. Drain the meat. 3. Serve the meat and sides hot and not reheated (if indeed they were as we suspect) . 3. Increase portion size for the sides. (The meat portions were typical) 4. Lower the prices a bit – this is NOT “artisan” food as advertised to justify the price. 5. Use only Hickory in the smoker.

I will go back to try the ribs … maybe next month on a Thursday evening with my club – if they have not found a more reasonably priced and tastier place. My “gold standard” still remains “Whole Hog BBQ”.

Date of visit: April 2017
CM S, Owner at CM Smoke Artisan BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2017

Thanks for your honest review, and we are disappointed that we did not meet your standards. Hope you give us another chance to prove ourselves.
Mike