“Good, not great”

Baguette et Chocolat
Ranked #1 of 2 Bakeries in Bee Cave
Cuisines: French
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Good was okay, but not anything great. Had Croque Madam, Proscuitto Crepe, Nutella Crepe, and a croissant. The croissant was the best part. Fine place for breakfast, but not a destination.

There are newer reviews for Baguette et Chocolat

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place more than I do. The pastries and their baguette bread are very good, all made from scratch. But I've ordered a meal here (all lunch) 4 different times now & have been disappointed each one of those times. I actually asked for my money back the last time, as my panini was missing an ingredient (it's a choose your own setup & Id listed my choices twice for the cashier who took my order, it still wasn't right), had just a few teeny tomato slices, and there was hardly any goat cheese on it at all (none on 1/2 the sandwich). I wasn't going to pay $7 for a piece of grilled bread. Also, I'd said I was going to eat there but they brought it out to me in a to-go bag, like they were trying to rush me off or something (it was quite crowded with not enough tables). So my advice is go for the drinks & a nice French pastry from the counter display but you can find higher quality meal items for the same price elsewhere. (I also think it's a shame they have fake cheap plastic flowers on all the tables, it would be a nice French touch to have real ones.)

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've been here three times. All three times, it took upwards of 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged that we were standing at the counter. It also took a very, very long time (around 30 minutes) for the food to be ready, even though there were just a few other customers and we didn't order anything complicated. The staff have always seemed annoyed by needing to come to the counter to take our orders, and I don't think anyone ever smiled on any of my three visits.

On trip #2, I happened to order the last chocolate croissant in the display case along with my lunch. I paid, and the girl behind the counter told me she'd bring out the croissant with my food. A couple of minutes later, I overheard another customer order a chocolate croissant. The girl gave it to them and that customer left. When I nicely mentioned the mistake and said "No problem, I wouldn't mind having the croissant with almonds instead," the girl was really rude and then asked me to pay the extra $0.30! I was shocked. What kind of a place makes a mistake on an order and then asks the customer to pay the difference to fix it? Sure, it's only thirty cents, but my goodness, what does that say about this business?

The food is quite tasty, but I refuse to go here again. I applaud the restaurant's yummy food, but if they can't manage basic customer service / niceness, they won't be getting my business.

I guess they're trying to bring the stereotypical "Rude Parisian" attitude to their business here. Bad call.

1  Thank SuperKatie
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My daughter is studying french, so we have made "French Friday" a tradition in our family by visiting Baguette et Chocolat for breakfast before school each Friday. It's quaint, and when it's busy expect a bit of a wait, but the food is good and staff is friendly.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

After a few visits, it is clear that this is a first rate pastry shop. You can't go wrong with anything from the pastry case, The choclatine, the Pain Au Chocolat, the croissant etc are all top notch. Lunch, however, is a step down. Salads have only iceberg lettuce. The quiche seemed (god forbid) microwaved. The pannini bread is awesome, the fillings are OK. Breakfast looks great and we need to try the crepes. Coffee is good, not outstanding. But this is a fine place well worth a visit or five