“Great Area For Fishing”
Review of Crown Point Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horseshoe Bend
Crown Point Resort
Dallas, Texas
“Great Area For Fishing”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had been looking for a timeshare to purchase not too far from my place of residence. The reviews I read here all seemed positive for what I wanted, so I bought week 38.

First of all, if you are using a GPS DO NOT TURN ON TO BATES ROAD!!! You will be traveling on a dirt cow path, and just when you think you are in someones driveway, the road turns and you go through a grove of trees. Good thing we have 4-wheel drive, because it was quite muddy in the low lying areas. So, Just keep going and the GPS recalculate her butt off, but eventually get you there, using PAVED roads. (It's a right hand turn just before B&B Lumber company).

Our cabin 503A and 503B were nicely appointed, comfortable and very clean. One tiny thing: the bed in 503B was 3 feet off the floor! I'm only 5'2", so in order to get into the bed, I had to lay over it and roll on. Then the sofa in 503A was so low that I had to have an A-frame to get off it. Just kidding, but you get the picture. Also, the bigger unit is 503A, which had a larger kitchen with more cupboard and counter space, but had NO garbage disposal or spray attachment on the sink. 503B had a smaller kitchen with both of these. We did all our cooking in the larger unit, then had to run over to the other unit to use the garbage disposal. Very inconvenient. 503A had the bigger TV, and 503B had a big TV, but apparently that one broke and they put a smaller on in.

Wi-Fi signal was very good. I didn't have any problem logging on to my email, etc.

Some units (maybe the condos) have washers and dryers, but our cabin didn't. I had to use the laundry located on property, and there was no bill changer. So, if you must do laundry, bring quarters!

Horseshoe Bend is in a dry county, but the nearby counties have beer and liquor stores. The nearby grocery store has everything you could possibly need. Before we got there, we stopped at the Wal-Mart in Ash Flat to get our supplies, but we won't be doing that again. Papa Dicks has the best Cuban sandwiches west of Miami!

Now, about the fishing. Don't expect to get anything in Crown Lake but brim and sunfish and if you are very lucky, a small mouth. The real fishing is on the nearby White and Norfolk rivers. You can rent a skiff with motor at Jenkins Marina for about $70 for the day. If you don't pull in a rainbow on every cast I'd be surprised.

When you get tired of fishing, take a short 20 min. trip to Old Town Hardy. Lots of nice shops and a few restaurants. Kind of like a mini Eureka Springs. Mammoth Springs was beautiful and worth a visit.

Can't wait to get back next year and every year after!

Room Tip: Ask if your cabin or condo faces the lake, if that's what you are looking for.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank fishinggoddess

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here with my family of 6. We stayed for 4 days and 4 nights. Google maps is incorrect if you are coming from STL, MO. Buy a map of Arkansas.
Also ask for a map of the local area from the resort front desk. (very helpful)
We stayed in Cabin 511 which is right next to the front office. This worked out well for us. The indoor pool is right next to it. Also the "game room" which only has 1 working old arcade game and an indoor basketball game. But, it was good for when the boys were really bored. The exercise room was awesome. It had everything I needed and a sauna.
The office people were mostly friendly and helpful. Although half of the TV channels were fuzzy the whole time we were there. I asked them to fix it at the front desk. They said they would have maintenance come by. I never saw them. However, we were outside most of the time.
The night time entertainment is geared toward older people.
Bingo, etc. The beach was nice, water pretty clear. Cheap rates at Box hound Marina. Papa Dicks was expensive but good. Free delivery. Grocery in town was well stocked, and mostly reasonable. Might be better to drive the 20 minutes to Ash FLat Walmart. No booze in ARK. so stop in MO.
Free canoes and kayaks to borrow for a few hours at the resort. Outdoor pool is next to the beach. The cabin we stayed in was great. 2 bedrooms/ 2bath. one loft area with a trundle bed. Slept 6 comfortably. The beds in the bedrooms were great. Down comforters were awesome! Although the trundle was uncomfortable.
My sis and her 2 kids came down and stayed. Still plenty of room. they slept on couch and loft floor. Wifi is terrible. But could be reached in the bedrooms of our cabin if you wanted to check a bank balance etc. Not available anywhere else past our cabin.
Unit 511 did not have a driveway though. 512 has a driveway and a bbq pit behind. Will try to get that one next time.
Can be kinda boring, but def. away from it all. There is absolutely nothing to do for at least a 40 min away. We brought our Xbox, so the kids had something to do when we were just chilling.
Everyone had a great time and wants to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank terilee33
Baton Rouge
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family really enjoyed our week at Crown Point. We went with another family the week of July 13-20 We both had cabins and they were very nice. They were clean and big enough for a family of four. We were in 508A and the view of the lake was good. If you can request a cabin, the best view of the lake is 506A and B. The staff were friendly and very helpful. They resort has 2 pools, one indoor and one outdoors. The pool inside was ok, it smelled of chlorine but the boys enjoyed it. The beach was nice to sit by the lake and enjoy a book and have a cocktail. The resort has canoes and kayakes that are available for guests to use, at no cost. That was fun for the boys to use to checkout the lake. There is not a lot of activities for teenageers to do in the evening. We played washers and cards most nights. We did get movies from the front desk, the selection was pretty good , lots of recent movies. It would be a good idea if they added a pool table or ping pong tables to the game room. We visited the "Neighborhood Grocery" in town which is about 5 minutes away and it was fully stocked and the prices were not bad at all. We did go to Box Hound marina and rent boats and party barge and the prices were resonable and they were very friendly and helpful. The fishing was not great on Crown Lake, no big bass but the boys still caught some fish. Overall this was a relaxing and fun vacation in the Ozarks.

Room Tip: If you want the best views, request the condos but some of the cabins had a great view too. The wors...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Susan C
Whitehall, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were a bit leary of this resort after reading reviews and even had someone in our group go out for a preview. Our group stayed in three of the cabins, one lockout and two with lofts. The cabins were clean and spacious and met all of our needs. There is an indoor pool, outdoor pool and lake which were all utilized during our stay. The lodge offers nightly activities that appeal to a variety of interests. The views are spectacular and this is a great place to go for some true R & R. internet service is good in the recreation center and sporadic throughout the resort. They are making lots of upgrades to other buildings and areas of the resort. There is a grocery store and Dollar General in Horseshoe Bend, no other stores to speak of. A variety of attractions in the area that you can drive to, but we all chose to stay put.

Room Tip: Ask for the cabins.
6 Thank DuckLake3
biloxi, ms
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family really enjoyed our week at Crown Point. It was very relaxing and peaceful. The staff was courteous and helpful. The resort has cabins and lake view condos. We got to try both and each are comfortable and clean but I would chose the lakeview condo. It was nice to see that view each morning and would set the pace for relaxation. One drawback to this resort is that the tennis court and basketball area were not well maintained. It is also a remote area which is good for getting away but can limit dinning out options and shopping. The resort offers indoor and outdoor swimming pools and also has a beachfront lake with a swimming platform with my son and husband really enjoyed. There is a fitness room with lots of equipment which can seem a bit cramped. Overall, I would recommend Crown Point if you are seeking a relaxing vacation.

2 Thank cec0930
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 16, 2012

First and foremost the people here were absolutely the friendliest and most polite people I have ever met.. Even the locals were nice!! It is a very simple way of life in horseshoe bend.. The reason for the disappointment is that it isnt what I would call a "resort". If you think of this place as a resort you will be disappointed... Day to day activities for the kids were very sparse!! The game room had one arcade game that worked but very old and the playground was not what I would call a play ground. Even though the kids were bored out of their minds the view from our cabin was absolutely amazing!! Which was unit 506. We did end up going trout fishing with bill terrys guided boat ride. My son caught his share and Justin was great in teaching him how to fish. I have to mention the lake beach...To my standards this beach was not what I would call clean...There were cigarette buts in the sand and all in all just not a place where I wanted to hang out..Made my skin crawl..The tubs in the cabins were ok..However they were a bit stained...This is just not what I would consider a resort.. Not enough activities for the family to do.. You can only go swimming and canoeing so many times with a 3 year old and my older children were just plain old bored....

Room Tip: stay in the cabins they are the nicest!! You do not want the condos!! Especially the ones in the 200...
6 Thank matmeljade
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The resort is beautiful. We floated the Spring River and fished the White River. Bill Terry fishing guide was wonderful. Great place for kids and family. We enjoyed the stay in a brand new cabin that sleeps 16. We have stayed at many resorts, this is one we will come back to. Everyone had their own space. It was great.

Room Tip: Own RCI points
8 Thank Dalton S
Frontier Motor Lodge
Frontier Motor Lodge
#2 of 4 in Hardy
Mammoth Spring Lodge Motel

Been to Crown Point Resort? Share your experiences!