“Elephant Interaction is amazing!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mkuze Game Reserve
Bayete Zulu Boutique Lodge
“Elephant Interaction is amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Even though we did not stay at Bayete Zulu Lodge, we were fortunate enough to attend the elephant interaction. The experience was out of this world, how humbling to be able to touch and interact personally with these huge, intelligent elephants. For me this was the highlight of my trip to Hluhluwe. The 9km of gravel road leading to Bayete Zulu was tricky and not the best but the experience far outweighed the negatives of a bumpy ride. A MUST SEE IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ashina R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Was privileged enough to visit Bayete Game Reserve for #BloggersAtBayete. I can not think of one thing that was not perfect about my stay here. It was my first game reserve experience and it's one I will never forget.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful. Incredibly well decorated, the open shower and HUGE bath is a plus. The game drives were unforgettable and the vehicles were very comfortable. We had the best ranger (Graham) and he was so friendly and knowledgeable. He ensured we saw as many animals as possible and told us so much about each individual species. I saw every kind of animal I wanted to see - from hippos to giraffes and even lions. All I can say is - can I go back now?? Would love to spend every holiday here!!

It's worth every cent and everything far surpassed my expectations of what a game reserve is like. I highly recommend visiting Bayete Game Reserve!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Grounds and original lodge spectacular. But its obvious that more money is being taken than put in. Bar fridge Rubbers worn away so fridge doesn't work properly, door handles not working. No bar equipment, bad water flow, no ice machine, Limited game.

However, Julian the ranger was brilliant, attentive and friendly. Kitchen staff fantastic and great cooks. Office administration not friendly or helpful.

In the whole, not worth what you are paying but with a little effort and investment it could be awesome.

Bar fridge could be stocked. And decor could be more comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank kerrygibson69
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I'd like to preface this review by saying I had stayed with a SUPERB safari camp at Kruger National Park before coming to Bayete Zulu, so everything from here on is based on my comparison of the 2 safari camps.

Pros: Bayete is located on top of a hill so you overlook a beautiful vista of the African bush, great infinity pool, helpful and friendly staff (this is a self serve camp so you buy the food, the staff cooks it for you), good sized rooms (the suites are MUCH nicer than the rooms), in-room air conditioning available, free (but very limited) internet, free car parking.

Cons: By comparison to my experience at the Kruger safari I was previously on, this reserve either has VERY few animals or they are all hiding - we only saw very few creatures in the 4 days we were there. The staff was all fairly new (and young!) and didn't come across as particularly knowledgeable about on the animals (the rangers at Kruger had all worked there for 20+ years). The rooms are not sealed at all (ie. room doors have a big gap on the bottom so any/all bugs will go into your room - one night we found a giant spider the size of my hand hanging out on our bed). The decor is out dated. Since it is self service, any food or beverage you need would require a 30-40 mins drive to the nearest town Hluhluwe.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Candy H
Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Bayete Zulu lodge is officially one of my favourite hospitality & wildlife destinations.

Their team of friendly, welcoming staff made our stay really enjoyable, with special mention to our game rangers Louise & Graham. We successfully spotted lions, rhino, elephants and giraffe on an early morning game drive, with knowledgeable detail from Graham...but the elephant interaction experience with Rambo and his kin was by far my favorite part of our holiday!

I was so impressed with the the level of attention to detail and the service that I have already recommended Bayete to a number of my friends, from South Africa and abroad. Keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kyle F
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Bayete Zulu Lodge is wonderful! The relative ease of finding the lions was very refreshing. The safari guides were knowledgeable and very friendly. The accommodation is lovely and the staff are friendly.

A definite must! The elephant interaction is a once in a life time experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 1st_Zulu_Safaris_SA
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We did not stay at the lodge and this review is just for the Elephant Interaction.
No exaggeration, feeding these magnificent mammals not only by putting food on the crook of their trunks, but directly into their mouths and onto their tongues – I can confirm they have big molars too! If you don’t mind a little slime, this is not to be missed. We also learnt so much about the plight and survival from a Zimbabwean cull of Rambo, (32 years) and Rachel, and their youngster Jabulani (3 years old) as well. Much knowledge imparted about an elephants physical attributes and how they interact with humans when threatened.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 32 in Hluhluwe
Jozini Tiger Lodge and Spa
Leopard Mountain Safari Lodge
Shayamoya Tiger Fishing & Game Lodge

Been to Bayete Zulu Boutique Lodge? Share your experiences!