Mpila Camp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
See available hotels
Hluhluwe Umfolozi Hilltop Camp(Hluhluwe Game Reserve)
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsthe kitchengame viewingwild animalsself cateringbed chaletthe reservebraai areagreat experiencebring your ownkzn wildlifetwo nightssmall shopall sortsbush experiencesleeping areagreat surprisebathroom door
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We really enjoy staying there! The chalets are rustic but confortable and convenient. No A/C to prevent malaria mosquitos.
The location allons Nice drive.
But bring all what you need the shop is rather small but they are very helpfull. At the reception, welcome Could have been warmer.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gby147
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is not a luxury accommodation. For state run, the accommodations are clean and sparse. We stayed in five 2-bed tents. We learned the hard way that the bathrooms are without roofs, when two monkeys made their way into our tent because we left the bathroom door open. The kids LOVED that. The camp is only fenced for elephants and giraffes so you can get ANY other animal. We had hyena, warthog, serval, baboon, monkey, zebra, bok, kudu in camp (up close and personal) over the two day period we were there. The kids dropped food under the deck (by accident) and we had animals all night. It was exciting. This is not a relaxing location with kids (3, 7,10,13) but they LOVE it. We went on private game drive, but our driver had an attitude and we didn't learn a lot. There were issues with electricity and some staff was unhelpful. But you can't beat the experience of the animals grazing outside your door.

Room Tip: Try and get a tent at the end of the road. You'll be farther away from others.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 2kidsBackpack
Reviewed January 17, 2014

After staying in the 2-bed Self Catering Chalet's 8 and 9 with my boyfriend and his parents, I would highly recommend Mpila! The accommodation is very well situated with stunning views over the hills and countryside, with the added bonus of being immersed in wildlife, due to the game fence only really being there to keep elephants out.... Anything under about 6ft (Impala, warthogs, bush pigs, nyala, monkey etc) are a common site in the camp landscape. I found that a very special experience.

However, as others have mentioned at night hyena's do come to visit - generally AFTER sundown, although we did see one at dusk too. The come to see what morsels are left to scavange and feed upon. They are very cheeky - and wouldn't be afraid to take the meat off the braai while its still cooking if you don't keep a close eye on it!
We also saw a very large group of Bush Pigs, who have a reputation of being quite unpredictable and can be quite vicious, so do watch out for these too!
What you must remember is that these are still wild animals - with protective and wild instincts, who if they felt threatened wouldn’t think twice about causing some injury or damage to you - especially if they are mothering with small babies! Which it appears some people seem to forget.
Take a torch with you and you can shine it into the bush and see them coming out towards you.

The chalet itself was very well equipped for you to eat - lots of cooking utensils, pots, pans, cutlery/crockery, wine glasses, tumblers, a giant fridge/freezer, gas oven and hob/burner rings. Outside you have your own picnic table and braai (BBQ).
The bed I found very comfy, with a choice of two pillows - soft and firm.
The bathroom I found very clean (and I'm quite fussy!), and the shower was very roomy! Water temperature was great and easily controlled. House keeping visits in the morning.
As others have mentioned, there is a sign saying the tap water shouldn’t be drunk, although we made tea/coffee with it and were fine. Although if you want water to drink cold, then bring some bottles with you to keep in the fridge.
The doors to the chalets do not have keys, but any sensible person would either keep their valuables with them, or lock them hidden away in the car.

The electricity is turned off over night (10pm while we were there) and switched back on at 7am. I didn't feel this caused us any inconvenience, as you are up early to see the animals so come 10pm you are ready for bed anyway! Although my only point I would say is that due to the electric being turned off, the ceiling fan is of course not usable during the night while you sleep, so if you get hot quickly/easily this might possibly be something to consider.

Moving on to the park, this has been my first time in a game reserve so I can't compare it to others, but I felt that it was well organised - we participated in a night game drive, and I felt that our driver was friendly, knowledgeable and it was possible for her to answer our questions.
You can purchase a map to go on a self guided game drive. To begin with it seems a little confusing, until you realise that the numbers on the map are not road numbers but junction numbers, then things make a little more sense - as I pointed out to my better half! ;O)
We spotted all of the 'Big 5' except for Leopard, who are known for being very shy anyway. We even had a close up view during our night drive of a Lioness with her two cubs!

The curio shop was well stocked with basic food items, drinks (soft and alcoholic), gifts, clothes and supplies.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend Mpila camp, and have suggested to my parents to visit on their trip to South Africa. Having a 4X4 vehicle is beneficial, however if you don’t have access to one, my advice would be to drive very slowly and carefully to navigate around dips and holes in the game reserve on the dirt roads.

Room Tip: We stayed in two 2-bed Self Catering Chalets (#8 & #9) however spoke to a number of people around camp who were in the static safari tents, and spoke very highly of them. (We tried to book the tents ourselves but they were fully booked 3 months ahead of our visit, so get in quick if thats what you want!)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank LauraRose
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at Mpila Camp for 3 nights. Great value for money and all that you actually need in the bush.

We stayed in one of the lovely tents and bathroom attached, made for a comfortable stay. The kitchen was a mere 3 meters away with a seperate gate/lock for the animals.

Although the camp is not fenced, we felt secure and didnt come across any "scary" animals.

A game drive is highly recommended as the lush bush of the Hluhluwe iMfolozi park makes game viewing a bit difficult in a normal vehicle.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed in two of the tented camps and thoroughly enjoyed it. The tents are clean and comfortable and we did enjoy the company of a hyena one evening, but he was easily hurried away and no problem. We did have a family of eight warthogs sleeping under one of the tents (which are raised up on stilts) but it is a wild and wonderful place. We enjoyed staying in Hilltop but found much more game close to Mpila including many lions, wild dog and elephants. Wonderful.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family