“A Memory Made”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Andasibe
Vakona Forest Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Andasibe
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My new wife and I stayed here for 5 days in may 2014 as part of our honeymoon. The lodge's grounds are huge and well maintained and provided a great "base camp" for our many trips out. The rooms are basic but comfortable and the food was delicious and plentiful. The lodge's Lemur Island should not be missed. The staff are welcoming and friendly, we were approached and welcomed by the General Manager and the Chef during our stay. The main reception area has WiFi which covers approx 1 square meter, it still worked well enough to post a few pics on Facebook to make the folks back home jealous.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adam d

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Wonderful cabins but a bit small. Internet not working. Good restaurant and good morning breakfast. Attentive staff. But the reason you come here is their private "Lemur Island". That is why it gets a 5. We had a upclose and very personal interaction with four types lemurs. See pictures. An un-matched experience in our 14 day Madagascar trip. Not to be missed

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler5548
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Set in a beautiful natural forest, with it's own Lemur island and a little zoo where you can see the "Fosa". The menu needs some work, the food was good, but we just about ran out of things to order after 2 days. 2 days stay is enough to see and do everything in the area. The Hammam was a nice touch, but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: Away from the pool is quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicci P
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I would give this hotel 3.5 stars if this was an option. The rooms are ok and the beds quite comfortable but our room was quite smelly I guess due largely to the humidity. The restaurant menu is good but we had to send both our meals back first time around. Second time they came back very good. Portions not big though and service a bit hit and miss. Wifi is poor. Nice small pool. Best thing, however, is location and grounds are very attractive. Also the activities available and the lemur island

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jasmine101Surrey
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was our first stop in Madagascar after Tana. I'd researched pretty carefully so knew what to expect regarding the hotel. Its a lovely drive in and the location is excellent. Staff were pleasant and cabin was fine.

However it all feels a bit functional and impersonal considering where it is and the type of holiday its catering to. Like an easy choice for mid to upper-range tour groups and does enough to keep then reasonably satisfied, but not that extra mile and going through the motions somewhat. Food in particular was a let down.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I wished my tour company had selected Vakona for my hotel while I was in Andasibe. I was only fortunate enough to eat lunch here.
The selections were plentiful and I elected to have a vegetarian meal, which was rice, chick peas, carrots, zucchini and a curry sauce. Good portions & fantastic it wasn't hot-spicy like most curries.
I enjoyed dining over the lake & seeing a variety of birds. Again, wish my tour company had selected Vakona as my hotel, not just my restaurant, while in Andasibe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The lodge is pretty, and the bangalows are comfortable. It is conveniently located near the national park, where lots of indry lemurs live. The best part of the experience by far is the lemur islands. Defintely take the time to go visit the island in the morning, and have a canoe ride around the sanctuary. The draw back was the food -- it was servicable, but a bit of a disappointment by Madagascar standards. The dining area is beautifully done, but had screaming children running around all over the place during dinner hours, which made the meals an ordeal. It's good to be family friendly, but it would also be nice to enjoy meals in peace, and not be worried about small children knocking over your drink. If we go again, we will plan to dine somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Vakona Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!