“Had a great time... solo traveler”
Review of Camp Moremi

Camp Moremi
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stayed at Camp Moremi for the last 2 nights of my 12 night trip and I thought it was wonderful. I was a solo traveler and had also visited Sabi Sands in SA and Chobe in Botswana. This was my most "rustic" property and was a little nervous as to what to expect b/c I am NOT a "camper" an "outdoorsy" girl by any stretch of the imagination and the other two properties were high caliber lodges. If Camp Moremi is camping.. then sign me up again. The people who work and run the camp are so nice and accomodating and really take an interest in making sure that you have a good time. It's a small camp with only 11 (?) "tents". And by tents.. I mean permanent tented camps on a low-rise platform. The sleeping tent is very large with a private back veranda and the bathroom is marble and tile and offers a rain shower. I didn't have one bug in either room of my tent the entire time (and that was also a concern of mine). Also, at night, even though the main generator is turned off the lamps on your nightstand run on a separate generator and can be turned on/ off and the bathroom light is always on so you don't have to worry about a flashlight or being in the dark. Housekeeping also puts netting down for you over the bed while you are at dinner. The guides were very knowledgable about the animals and plants and asked us what we wanted to see and we focused on finding those animals. Unlike Chobe, even though it is a National Park area and you can't go technically "off road" the roads are not paved or really well worn at all so you feel like you are going "off roading" the entire time so it's a more fun experience. The food is really good and there is always plenty of it so you never go hungry. Since the camp is so small they take pride in welcoming the new people to the camp and wishing the ones leaving the following day a special farewell at the evenings dinner. They even baked a birthday cake for a traveler who was celebrating their birthday that day. Very nice touches. On my last day, I realized that I hadn't gone out into the Delta so I asked my guide for all the other safari drives if he would take me out for a 15 minute boat ride in the Delta before I had to leave for the airport and he did -- no problem. No issues. We even got to see some baby birds nesting in the delta that we hadn't seen elsewhere.
I went in November and I have to say.. it was much cooler than I expected.
I highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to Okavengo Delta. Lots of animals (saw sooooo many zebra, the end of a lion kill (thankfully), wild dogs, hyena and many more animals!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Redlionny

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Camp Moremi is placed in wonderfully lush scenery. We viewed the wild dogs in the park several times, but were unlucky with the big game at this moment of the year (november). Watch for the little bushbabies in front of your room at night!
Our safariguide was Frank, who we found a very able driver and spotter. He was most entertaining at dinner too! Generally we found the staff at this camp very able and independent, and we had the finest discussions with them about the country and life in general at the campfire after dinner.

The accomodating consists of two different tents, one for sleeping and a separate bath-tent. We liked it, but you have to cross over in open air. The sleeping tent furniture is a bit dated.

Make sure you get the view from the watchtower, which is a little walk from the swimming pool. Central facilities are placed between tents 1-6 and 7-11. Tent 11 has a big private terrace but is also the longest walk away from the bar.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Stan1972
Reviewed November 2, 2011

The compact tents at Camp Moremi are raised on a platform and the bathroom is adjacent. When we arrived, our tent was SCORCHING hot and really uncomfortable to be in, even with the fan on, which made it a challenge to have the scheduled afternoon siesta.

Other small details that were disappointing were (especially at such high prices): dirty rugs in the room, holes in the mosquito nets, electricity that switched off at midnight so the fans didn't work. Of the four camps we stayed in, Camp Moremi for accommodation was the least well thought out and least comfortable - our 2 night stay was sufficient.

On the plus side, the other buildings in the camp are beautiful and well maintained - including the dinner/ bar area and the breakfast area. The food is delicious and there's a good variety.

The game viewing is great and the location excellent. We saw zebra, lions, cheetahs, monkeys, impala, hippos, elephants and hyenas.

We also took a wonderful water safari - excellent for bird watching.

All the staff were attentive and friendly and our guide Frank was knowledgeable and approachable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelmerchant
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I absolutely loved everything in Camp Moremi. The staff was great and rangers are extremely friendly making the safari adventure really great. The possibility of making boat trips for the sunset is amazing. The tents are really nice, well taken care off and the common areas are awesome. Food was really good. I really loved my stay there and hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Staff and guests intermingle in this intimate and homey camp. You feel part of a community and learn about the wildlife, vegetation, and culture of the Okavango Delta. The facilities were beautiful and eco-friendly. The daily schedule is designed to provide a fun and interactive stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

enjoyed the camp;the wildlife ; guides; interesting people; good food;scenery. just perfect

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Camp Moremi is accessed via private airstrip, followed by a rough ride over deeply rutted and sometimes flooded roads. (You're in a swamp, after all, in the Okovango Delta.) Staff is delightful, your safari tent is comfy (if cold in the winter--thankfully, the camp supplies hot water bottles). Food choices were good, meals and wine plentiful, and the fire after dinner a delight. Plus more stars than this city boy has seen in years (even the Milky Way)! Our only hesitation was the rather quiet nature of our guide--who had to be prompted to speak. This was of concern when there weren't too many animals around (and that happens sometimes)--we would have liked to have heard about the area and environment more. Visitors should be aware of changing conditions in the Delta that has made some areas inaccessible due to flooding, and opened other previously dry areas. As always, seeing game is partly the skill of the guide (ours was good), and partly luck (ours was very good). But this is the bush, not a private reserve, and conditions are a bit rough and you see animals at some distance since the guides can't drive over the brush.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the resident hippo (who is loud)!