“Luxury camp and lots of animals”
Review of Camp Xakanaxa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moremi Game Reserve
Camp Xakanaxa
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Xakanaxa camp, it was slightly larger than the other camp we were in so not quite so personal. The food was excellent and plenty of it and the fridges always had plenty of cold drinks.

Water was our guide and took us to see lots of animals. The boat cruise was a nice relaxing change from the safari drives, the delta is beautiful with amazing water lilys. The sunset was beautiful. It was a nice touch to include a Mokoro canoe ride just before we stopped for a sundowner.

The tent had a fan which was nice and the bathroom was enormous, we enjoyed the running water. The bed was really comfortable.

The small gift shop was a nice touch with very reasonable prices.

1  Thank escape123

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Nice campsite along the marsh, only 8 I believe. If you plan to do any boating on the river, I suggest doing it from here. Unlike Third Bridge, pricey and far away from your campsite, you can walk here from your camp. Easy to book. Price is per boat, so you can walk the campsite and encourage other campers to join you. We had 4 people out for 3 hours and it was about $70 per couple. Great experience. Get a boat where you can sit up high on the deck, above the marsh, much better view.

Back to the campsite. New ablutions, cleanest so far of all the public campsites. No animals though. That was a disappointment. We did see saddle billed stork, magnificent creatures

1  Thank ernieLoomisCa
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Xakanaxa was a lovely camp situated on the banks of a small river in the Moremi game reserve near Maun, Botswana. The camp itself was beautiful and offered lovely views off a deck connecting the different common areas. I shared a tent with a friend, and they were spacious and elegantly furnished. Service was excellent, friendly, warm and they responded quickly and gave you anything you needed. The game drives (they offered boat trips too but we chose game drives instead) were superb, all lead by experienced Moremi park rangers (ours was Ngande) that knew the names of all the animals and birds we saw, background about the environment, and went the extra mile for game sitings. We saw lions, a leopard, jackals, giraffes, zebra, crocodile, hippos, Impala and other bucks, mongoose and a jennet (who came into camp). You were assigned a ranger for your stay, who picked you up at the air strip and was your guide for the drives. Time in the camp was pleasant. A very nice dipping pool with a river view, another larger one you could swim in. The fridge was open 24/7 so you could access cold drinks including beer and wine anytime. I'd go back there in a snap! It was very hot when we were there. As part of the night turn down service they closed the side tent flaps. Next time I would open them (easy enough, they are secured by velcro) for a breezier sleep.

Room Tip: Tents were excellent. Roomy and lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shelah B
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Our guide Water was amazing - how managed to drive and see the smallest of birds and animals
was truly spectacular. The staff could not do enough to make the holiday, food, laundry and accommodation were top rate.
We would love to go back again sometime and will recommend it to all our friends.
Thanks you

Room Tip: Tent number 7
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Xakanaxa camp was our first camp we stayed at during our honeymoon. Great staff, everything well explained, amazing game, phenominal food, extremely private and safe, amazing tents, super romantic with the candle light at night. Convenient to the airstrip. Amazing bathroom, beautifully appointed design. The best guide our whole trip. Personable funny and extremely knowledgeable about the area and the animals. Communication within camps on game drives provided us with amazing sightings including 3 different leopards, 3 different lions, countless elephants, hippos, zebras, giraffes, a million types of impala and other hoofed animals, birds galore including storks, cranes, hornbills. Not only were all of the staff great, but the other people we met while staying there were amazing. The best overall experience!!

Room Tip: We were on our honeymoon, and they had us at the tent farthest to the left. I cant remember the num...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

When I checked in as a solo traveler, the manager seemed rushed and uninterested. I was in camp for 3 days, and the manager never again greeted me or spoke to me. It was as if I was invisible! When I required something, or had a question, I always asked Lettie. The bar was locked up during the day, so an afternoon thirst quencher was out of the question. We stayed up late one night at the dinner table with some of the group (by "late" I mean 9:30!) and the staff was visibly irritated. Several guests commented on it! The service was so-so. The location is lovely, however, and the food pretty good. I would not return here, though, because there are too many other places just as lovely with much better service. A couple from Germany agreed with me!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Patricia B
walbots, Manager at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Patricia B

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp, we remember you well as the "Queen of Sheba" and for your great Amarula pouring abilities.

We are however a little confused by your feedback and wish to justify as follows:

I am Lettie, and have been the Manager of Xakanaxa Camp for many years. I am the person that you approached when you needed assistance and I am quite confident that all your requests addressed with me were attended to with pleasure. I am ably assisted by Tim and Ona, who handle the back of house and administrative functions for the camp, so for all intent you were 100% correct when issues were addressed with myself. In saying this, I am terribly sorry that you felt that you were being ignored and even more so that you found my staff and i to be unfriendly. Whilst we are deeply disappointed by these comments, please understand that not for one second did we mean any malice or purposefully project unfriendliness towards you. I can assure you that if you had raised these issues with me whilst you were there, I would have done my utmost to rectify.

There are two bars at Xakanaxa Camp, one in the lounge area and one in the dinning room area. We do lock the one in the dining room area when we are not serving meals or when guests are not seated around the table. The bar in the lounge however is unlocked throughout the day. As you know, emphasis for the atmosphere at Xakanaxa Camp is based on a "feel at home" basis and all our guests are welcome to help themselves at the bar at any time. Should you not want to pour your own drink, my staff and I are always available to assist you.

Our guests and their enjoyment of their experience with us is very important to us. The campfire at Xakanaxa Camp is loved by all and certainly we are confused by your comments concerning feeling pressured to go to bed.

I can only offer my heartfelt apologies for the manner in which you felt you were welcomed and made to feel welcome at Xakanaxa Camp. Comments such as yours are indeed not often heard at all and I would have loved the opportunity to rectify them whilst you were still in camp with us.

With many thanks and kindest regards

Lettie and the Xakanaxa Camp staff.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Xakanaxa is probably the most amazing place I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed in the heart of luxury in Paris, so that says a lot.

What can I say: amazing location, amazing staff, amazing food and an amazing experience.

I dream of the day that I can return again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher M
walbots, Director of Sales at Camp Xakanaxa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Christopher M

Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us at Xakanaxa Camp. We are glad that our service, your experience and the destination lived up to your expectations.

We will gladly welcome you back in the future.

With kindest regards - Lettie, Tim and the Staff at Xakanaxa Camp

Hyena Pan Tented Camp
Hyena Pan Tented Camp
#9 of 29 in Moremi Game Reserve
andBeyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge
andBeyond Sandibe Okavango Safar...
#13 of 73 in Okavango Delta
Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp
Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp
#8 of 29 in Moremi Game Reserve

Been to Camp Xakanaxa? Share your experiences!