“Simply the best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moremi Game Reserve
Belmond Khwai River Lodge
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at Khwai River Lodge for four days to celebrate my 40th birthday. The host couple Chantelle and Jacques went out of their way to make the weekend as special as possible. Nothing was to much trouble for them. The staff was extremely friendly and helpfull, the best we have ever experienced in any game lodge in Africa (trust me we have been to many 5 star lodges). The food was out of this world! From the snacks (if one could call it "snacks") in the bush to the boma dinner, every single meal a feast prepared by Cindy and her team. The room was confortable and stylish. The furniture and interior decorating at the lodge is somewhat outdated and needs a bit of a revamp to do justice to this amazing facility. February is however not a very good month to go for game viewing due to the high rainfall but we saw many elephants, impala, leopard and hiena. Kkwai is a must see for anyone who wants to experience Africa in style.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernadine71

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here in December 2010 for 2 nights and we all loved it. It was an oasis, perfectly appointed, great service everything perfect. We stayed in the suite with the outdoor bath and shower and private bath. It couldn't have been better, so private. Every morning we would see the hippo walk out of the woods and into the river.
Food was good as well and the hosts are very interesting people to talk to - stay up for a chat with them. Nothing could be better than arriving at Khwai river and being greated by the staff singing to you. Their attention to detail and the finer things in life is exceptional. I can't say enough about this place, it will live in my memory. My teens (18 and 14) loved it as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed in Botswana for 10 days and during that time spent 2 nights at each of the Orient Express Lodges. The accommodation comprises of luxury tents which are on raised wooden platforms with decks for private viewing but they still manage to keep up the charm and atmosphere of a bush camp. The location is excellent , has its own concession so off road viewing is allowed. You also have the opportunity to drive over the Khwai River Bridge and go for a game drive in the National Park.
The tents are well planned with ensuite bathroom and air conditioning. They are kept very clean and the staff are efficient and very friendly. The food was delicious and a good variety was offered.
We had lots of fun and long chats with our hosts, Andy and wife who were relieving the regular camp management. Johnson, our guide and tracker was great, very experienced and knowledgeable who made our stay there one which will be long remembered.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I stayed here for one night on my own, having "escaped" from a very poor mobile safari with a different company. Andrew and Sarah, the managers, were so welcoming and immediately made me feel at home. They even invited me to join them for dinner. The rooms are superb and the food good. By the time I arrived I had missed the late afternoon game drive, but Andrew and Sarah very kindly arranged for me to be taken out on my own game drive after dinner. My guide, Moses, was fantastic. He knew I wanted to see a leopard and he managed to find one! I cannot praise this hotel enough.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JojoBerkshire
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We went as a family--my wife and I (in our thirties), my parents (in their sixties), and my grandmother (92)--for 3 nights to the Khwai River Lodge, and I now cannot imagine a better place for a group of city dwellers who are nonetheless serious about safari. (Thank you to Ramona at Go2Africa for finding it for us.) The lodge took great care of us (enough luxury to feel like we weren't in the bush, but not so much that it detracted from the surroundings), the staff was lovely, and the food was delicious. The transfer from Maun and to Kasane (both on MackAir) were seamless and easy. But the real action for us was in the purpose of the trip: safari.

The Khwai River Lodge is well-located with access to both Moremi and the neighboring concession lands. Before going, we anticipated spending a lot of time in Moremi. Once we got there, we discovered the beauty of the concessions--just as many (or more) animals, and far greater accessibility (i.e., under certain conditions, you can drive off the road to really see the animals). There were at least 3 times when there was a lion within a foot of me... something that I will always remember, and something that would have been extremely difficult to achieve in Moremi.

But more than location, the key to our extraordinary experience (and pictures and memories) was our guide, Moses. He was superb--professional, friendly, dedicated, and really good at tracking and identifying animals. Even after 3 days (and 6 trips out to the bush), I have no idea how he sees what he sees... but I was so glad we had him!

A few examples: (1) There was a point where he stopped the vehicle and pointed at a bush about 100 feet away. At the top of the bush was a very small (but quite rare) bird. It took me 2 minutes to see it. I haven't a clue how he saw it while simultaneously driving the vehicle! (2) On our last night, we still hadn't seen a hyena. He was determined to find one for us. On our way back to the lodge, based solely on tracks in the road, he said, "there were two hyena here relatively recently." We turned one corner, another corner, and there they were. And those are just two examples.

Two nice things about the safaris at Khwai River Lodge: (a) you get the same guide for your entire stay; and (b) your guide/tracker/driver is one person (which makes things far more efficient). The result: your guide is extremely important to your experience. We were lucky to get Moses. If you go to Khwai River Lodge, I suggest you specifically ask for him. We didn't experience any other guides at Khwai River Lodge, but compared with our guides elsewhere, Moses was truly one-of-a-kind.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ethanbernstein
Reviewed October 2, 2010

What a wonderful experience made possible by our guide. While the location, rooms and food were great, our guide at the Khwai River Lodge was fabulous. Extremely knowledgable, considerate and wonderful. His name is Moses Maphane. Ask for him.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I just got back after spending a week in Botswana . We stayed at all three camps owned by orient express . All of them were great and we loved it . Very very luxurious and a great way to do your safari .

Loved the fact and they had pool , Spa etc at khwai and rooms were amazing too . All tents have balconies with great view . We really enjoyed our stay . Thanks to the entire staff for such a memorable Safari .

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple