All reviews eagle island khwai river tauck tour game drives wild dogs unfenced camp travel arrangements huge closet various types private game air conditioning luxury hotel elephant dung classic safari dining area amazing location safari experience
Reviewed July 23, 2015

From the day we arrived to the day we left, we could not stop looking at the view. The main area at the Lodge has the most incredible view across the river - it's like watching a wildlife film in front of your eyes! A constant stream of elephants, hippos, crocs, impala, stunning bird life right in front of you - absolutely stunning.
The staff were very friendly and attentive, meals were great - we had a special dinner in "the hide" on our last night which we really enjoyed. The rooms were very well appointed - the camp is impeccable and impossible to fault. Our guide Sello was a real character - he has worked for the company for about 25 years so has seen everything you can think of. He would constantly tell us stories about the wildlife and his experiences, adding so much life and colour to our game drives and tea breaks. He makes a great G&T too! We loved the open feel of the camp - we saw an elephant and a hippo wandering through during the day - incredible to be so close to nature. Wonderful place, wonderful people - thank you for a magical time.

1  Thank EllieNorris
Reviewed July 14, 2015

I stayed here as part of a Tauck Tour, for two nights in June. I traveled as a single, so I had that lovely room all to myself. One afternoon, I stayed back at the lodge and napped in the hammock, which was blissful. The staff could not have been nicer and everyone I encountered was most helpful and pleasant. The only negative is that I had "tent" 8, which is right off the dining area and the noise from the bar and dining room drifted my way.

The game drives were excellent and the guides were all extremely knowledgeable. I was able to get some great photos and sightings of wildlife, including my favorite bird, the Lilac Breasted Roller. The lodge is not fenced in, so it is necessary to have an escort to your room after dark and someone was always available when I needed them. We went on a river cruise and were fortunate to see many elephants crossing the river, with their snorkel held high. We saw many crocs, hippos and wildebeest, as well.

I would certainly recommend the Khwai River Lodge and plan on returning sooner than later.

Room tip: Request a room away from the main lodge area, due to the noise.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed July 7, 2015

This was our first time in Botswana and I can't tell you enough of the wonderful experience we had at Khwai. All throughout the vacation we felt stress free. The staff, the food, the service, all the different touches were amazing.
Everything was fabulous!
Excellent all around.

Room tip: Wifi access in our room was a god send...only if you want to post pictures on social media.
1  Thank Maryel0617
Reviewed July 6, 2015 via mobile

We visited Khwai River Lodge for 4 days in July. What a wonderful experience! The staff were very friendly and helpfull. The food was five star. A special mention, Richard our guide, made our stay even more wonderful with his knowledge of the wildlife and plantlife and he went out of his way to show us and find us all the wildlife we wanted to see. We can really recommend a visit to the lodge and ask for Richard to be your guide.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank ocean723
Reviewed July 3, 2015

Every year or so I plan a father/daughter trip… this year’s destination was Africa. We had the pleasure of staying at Khwai River Lodge, which is located within Chobe National Park and borders with Moremi National Game Reserve. The lodge will blow you away… There are about a dozen “tent” suites at the lodge, and while they are in fact tents, they are huge and spacious timbered and vaulted and thatched roofs… the suites are very luxurious with hardwood floors, canopy netted beds, sitting area, in-suite dual vanity bathroom, shower, closet and huge porch overlooking a channel and the game reserve… I can assure you, you lack for nothing.

For breakfast, lunch and dinner enjoy the stunning views in a two story timbered dinning and sitting areas complete with bar and every amenity you can imagine, or enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail by the open fire pit. And the food, simply outstanding. But the real gem of Khwai are its people… the staff, who exhaust themselves to look after you, provide unparalleled service and make you feel welcome… Thank you Magda, Natie, Lolly and the entire five-star staff.

The game drives are amazing, abundant wildlife, stunning scenery and experiences that I will share and remember with my daughter for years to come (and the 3,000 pictures we took will help too). Lions, leopards, elephants, hyenas, zebras, buffalo, giraffes…were abundant and there wasn’t much that we missed… And of course the evening pre-return stop in the game reserve enjoying cocktails and hors-d’oeuvres served off the Land Cruiser and allowing us to enjoy the scenery and the moment… Just memorable. And then there was the helicopter safari, WOW… what an experience that was.

This is truly a remarkable place and one that will provide a memorable experience that will not be soon forgotten.

Date of stay: June 2015