“Good choice close to airport”

Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Maracaibo
Rosario, Argentina
“Good choice close to airport”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I always travel to Maracaibo for business and this hotel is the best choice to avoid city center of Maracaibo. I had a room on sixth floor close to elevators and next to service door, not good for nice rest time or sleep, one restaurant was closed as well as the cafe bar. So the only choice open was restaurant Canaima, nice buffet with great food, little bit overpriced but it's normal to have that price in restaurants located in hotels such at this.

Staff was OK, average I would say, room comfortable and clean.

I would not recommend to go outside walking, very dangerous and nothing around the area but if you keep inside the hotel security personnel are available at main entrance and close to elevators.

Nice swimming pool and bar area great to have a couple of drinks.

As I said before, this is the best choice if you come to Maracaibo for business and just need to go to downtown for work or meetings. 10mins to airport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Guillermo M
Rosana N, Community Manager at Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guillermo M

Thank you, your review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and choose us as your hotel when you visit the city for bussines.

We hope you stay with us on your next visit to the city to serve you willingly.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Looks can be deceiving. When you first enter the hotel, you think "Wow. This place must be awesome." The lobby area is awesome. Very well kept up for a 20 year old hotel. However, that is where it ends. The rooms really need a makeover to keep up with the grand entrance. Dings on the walls. Spots that have been spilled on the worn carpets. If you plan on taking a bath, plan on running the water for 5 minutes....the initial output is very brown (rusty)....let the tub drain a couple of times before you fill it. Wifi in the rooms is non-existent. Not sure whether it was because of poor bandwidth and so many people using it or my location from the router. Lobby reception was a bit better, but still very slow. And finally the beds. If you like rock hard beds, this is your hotel. I myself prefer something with a bit more give to the mattress. Sheets and blankets are very good just a problem with the foundation under them. Air conditioning in the room is also very good...it will freeze you out if turned too low (as I unfortunately did). As has been reviewed before, the 4 restaurants on the property are also good. Upgrade the rooms and halls and this would be a stellar property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tymbo
Rosana N, Community Manager at Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Tymbo

Thank you for your review, it is important for us to know our guests opinion, they help us to improve our service and guests experiences. We are going to bring up your issues to the right departments and definitely look into them so this doesn’t happen again. We want to make sure we learn from our guests’ experiences. On the other hand, we are very pleased that you enjoyed our gastronomic options.

We hope you stay with us on your next visit to the city.

Lima, Peru
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was the 3rd time I stayed on this hotel and the quality has decreased significantly. The rooms are outdated, the front desk personnel is slow, the WI-FI at the rooms does not work at all times, the breakfast is of low quality and not very much choices are available, the waitresses are slow and they serve the coffee cold, juices and sweets are always not available if you arrive after 9 even do the service is until 10, if you request some, the reply is a not very polite WE DON'T HAVE ANYMORE. The noise coming from the pool on weekends is terrible!...no way to rest here..also the guest have no respect for privacy and social manners, I had a couple that were shouting and fighting loudly, requested the reception personnel to do something about it and NOTHING was done!. Also calling the operator or the reception for assistance can be a real nightmare it rings and rings and no one answers for even 30 min periods!. The pool bar and service are very poor in choices, quality and personnel, but this is not for the people attending they are very polite and try to do their best as well as the pool supervisor, is because the hotel management needs to assign more people to the area. The pool itself and it's surroundings are great from monday to friday, you can relax and gave a great time, but on weekends forget about it! hell breaks loose!. Some else that was very good is the mini lounge bar and japanese restaurant, the drinks where excellent, the menu was short on choices, but the ones we tasted (visited the place 4 times) were always excellent and the prices are very good. Also the waitresses on these area are very polite and cheerful. Also keep in mind that this hotel is far away from the main attraction or places to go within Maracaibo, and there is nothing, let me repeat NOTHING decent around to visit or eat. You can use the hotel if need to do a layover in Maracaibo since it's near the airport or have to go to the industrial area, companies or to the Costa Oriental (where most of the oil and gas related companies are located) since the bridge that connects Maracaibo and these areas is very close also. Bottom line, if you can avoid do so.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Froilo

Thank you for your review and thank you for choose us for 3rd time. We apologize for the different situations you lived during your stay with us, we put all our effort to make our guest feel at home and have pleasant stay. We are pleased to heard that you enjoyed the food in Fontana Lobby Bar and the service offered. We let know our envolved departments your comments to improve in those details you mentioned.

We hope you give us another chance on your next visit to the city to serve you willingly and make you feel at home.

Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel again for a weekend night since my wife and I loved a lot of things from this chain and the rooms are great. But they can not missed the target which is improve every day and don't get caught by the competition.

When we arrived we got to the room with the buttons and when we entered the smell of smoke was really strong. We asked the buttons to change our room and he told us that it is difficult with some clients that smoke in rooms, which is prohibited, and I would probably preferred not waste my time in changing rooms. All of the sudden I remembered last year when I stayed with my wife only that in the middle of the night somebody was smoking. I made a review by then. I called the front desk and they apologized for the inconvenience. I demanded a new room and they told me that they called me back to the room when they have it ready. After 30 minutes, too much in my opinion, They called me back and switch rooms. I had to take my baby out to the hall all this time to avoid getting him coughing. In total we lost an hour to finally get going.

The food in the pool area, specially hamburgers where not very tasty but for the price was ok, we intended to have dinner at the more expensive restaurant in the hotel, but they didn't have any cream for the baby.

The lights at the tennis court should be brighter since it gets unplayable at nights, they should get advise on this from Club Nautico Maracaibo.

Definitely still the best option for a weekend get away. But don't miss the target or the competition will pass you out, they are getting very closed

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Jfviajero
Rosana N, Community Manager at Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. We like to know our guests opinion to improve our service. We will let know our different departments about your comments, for solve this issues as soon as possible. To keep offering to our guests the best service and making them feel like in home.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. From what I understand this is the only nice place to stay in Maracaibo. The lobby, bar and pool are nice. Restaurants are OK. They only had buffets while I was there. Service was average at best as compared to US hotels. The fitness center is huge and has a lot of free weights. Rooms are average. Fairly small but adequate. The neighborhood around the hotel is not safe. I was told not leave he hotel grounds. The hotel itself was safe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark V
cincinnati
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I spent five nights at the hotel and enjoyed the pool and the facility very much. Each morning they were busy cleaning the pool and service at the pool and swim up bar was excellent as was the life entertainment on the weekend. I owe a special thanks to Adri López who was most helpful when I needed to find and English speaking driver "Edwardo". Adri speaks nearly perfect English and was very professional. I was a bit disappointed that the government had closed the Casino's throughout most of the country. I suspect that once they have a new president that they will open again. The hotel had several restaurants and bars including a disco at night with life entertainment. Although there is not much near by the hotel, the hotel has it all.

Room Tip: The club floor is well worth it at this hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here in Jan'13. The duration was 3 nights. I will divide my review highlighting the positives and negatives.

The Positives

1. Extremely large property. Has at least 3-4 restaurants inside, a night club, 2 bars, a confectionary shop. Also has a very pretty swimming pool and excellent fully equipped gym with lots of machines. Fresh towels available.

2. Very close to the airport. Cost 100 Bolivars for a one way ride.

3. Is primary a business hotel.

4. The rich and famous of Maracibo could be seen there using the gym or the night club etc

5. The hotel staff was extremely polite. Very courteous, very helpful.

6. The food was good. A couple of times I called the chef and told him exactly how I wanted my food. It was done. Also they have excellent buffet for lunch and dinner with a plethora of choices. Costs about 180 bolivars.

7. The room was pretty decent. I requested for a swimming pool facing room and got it. The Ac was super strong!

8. The bathroom in the room had a jacuzzi plus a shower kind of bath.

9. The room contained complimentary water bottles, Ironing board and iron.

10. My room was cleaned daily and well.

11. Lot of good looking staff working at the hotel! It all adds up! :-)

12. The night club had good music playing & is pretty handy if you are a single person and bored.

13. Their is a Mcdonlads at walking distance.

The Bad

1. The Jacuzzi in the bathroom. It pipes seemed soiled. Once I filled up the jacuzzi but the water was so hot that I never took the bath. I drained the water. The whole bath was filled with muck. I never used the Jacuzzi henceforth.

2. The carpet in the room was a bit sordid.

3. Once I ordered a night delivery in my room. The food came cold and stale.

4. Ordering a airport pick up was a nightmare. I had to call up the hotel 4-5 times from my home to arrange my pick-up. They asked for a email for my request. I sent it. Then they said, they wanted me to write " I authorize you to charge my credit card for airport pick-up". I wrote it. Then they wanted some more improvements in the email before agreeing to pick me up.

5. The checkout was not breezy. The hotel tried to charged me two times. One time on arrival and one time on departure. Their plea , that the arrival time charge won't be charged and refunded. Nevertheless, my credit card was charged twice and refunded for one of them. They never tried to con me but just that their strategy sucks.

6. The hotel is far from everywhere else. This means, you can't do much until, you have a car.

7. No one offered to help with the luggage. They behaved like a American hotel in a country like Venezuela.

8. The property is so huge that some of the places in the hotel were not lighted up in night time to save on electricity. Fair enough but makes it look dull.

9. The business centre was not accesible. A lady there, shooed me away! For making a print-out, I had to send a email with attachment to the front desk, who printed it for me.

10. The bathroom seat is strangely contructed in a corner of the bathroom and kind of cramped position making it tough for using for the purpose its used.

Hope this review is helpful to some of you guys.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing swimming Pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sally M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maracaibo
Hotel Cumberland Maracaibo
#3 of 15 in Maracaibo
Hotel el Paseo
Hotel el Paseo
#4 of 15 in Maracaibo

Been to Crowne Plaza Maruma Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!