“Marriott.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Marriott.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

A great setting ,comfortable room , friendly service. very relaxing down by the pool at night. Drinks then a meal with a bottle of wine finished the night off perfectly. Recommend this hotel as a stop over.

Room Tip: My stay was a night before an early take off. Comfortable enough for that.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Turakina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel has excellent service and good facilities. However, during my last stay I found TWO roaches in the room, one death inside a drawer and the other one alive in the shower. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE for a hotel that charges around 350 USD per night, no matter how good the service can be I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DanielaFed
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My biggest gripe about the Marriott is the price. It is so incredibly expensive by world standards.

Erasing the nightly room rate from my mind… I was actually pretty impressed with this hotel. My expectations were quite low, so that might have helped. A few highlights:

* Service – While not terribly friendly, staff were very efficient and did exactly what they needed to do.

* Rooms – Really comfortable – could have been in any Marriott in the world

* Food – Expensive, but not as bad as I feared. They didn’t seem to have an English ‘a la carte’ menu, except the “Flight Crew menu”. An interesting observation on the obvious small number of non-Spanish visitors the hotel receives. Really enjoyed the outdoor bar area at night (beers not too expensive at around US$7 each). Also, the breakfast was great!

* Concierge – Arranged a car and driver for us, as we wanted to go into downtown Caracas.

* Location – Caracas is a difficult city to visit, and it makes absolutely no sense to stay the night downtown unless you need to. The Marriott is about a 15 minute drive from the airport – absolutely perfect

* Security – Given this is Caracas, I was expecting very tight security. But there was almost no visible security!

* Other – Really enjoyed the pool area.

* - PS: Make sure you have some local money ready for your flight out of Caracas. They increased the departure tax on the day of my flight, so we had to pay Bs 70 per ticket, in local cash. Lucky the ATM at the airport was working, as often they do not accept foreign cards.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Duri, Indonesia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I just stayed one night in this hotel. I got the recommendation from a friend and had to say that was very good. Rooms were very clean and well organized. I got two double rooms for my family of five. AC working very good which is a really plus in a hot weather like Venezuela. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and was excellent. Service very good also. Pool area is nice and fresh because the hotel is located right next to the cost of Caribbean Sea. Beaches are very close but can't say anything abut them because we did not have time to go. Distance from the airport is defenitevily a big plus. Only 6 minutes.

Room Tip: Rooms have good size. For a family of four maybe one double room is enough. Good luck.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we stayed here for our first night in Venezuela after arriving in the early evening to the airport. The hotel really is not worth the money you pay for except the image and slightly more professionalism of the staff. Getting the shuttle from the airport was not as easy as thought and we had to wait quite some time even with giving the hotel clear and much notice of our flight details.
Yes the rooms were clean and comfortable as was the rest of the hotel. But if you need just a night stop over i would recommend Hotel Catimar which is just down the hill from the Marriott

Room Tip: Talk to the porters and security guys to find out about boat trips to Choroni
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I normally stay in the city, at the Alba (former Hilton) where the building is a bit old, but there is free wifi and an excellent full breakfast included. I decided to stay close to the airport my last night, because I had an early morning flight.

Things went wrong right from the start. This hotel has no wifi! Only wired network access. And the jack in my room did not work. (I even tried my own Ethernet cable.) To top it off, the moron at the front desk insisted that I have to shut down my laptop before plugging in the Ethernet cable. I did it to humor him, knowing that he was clueless. In the end, no internet service.

And I had to take a taxi to the airport, because their "shuttle doesn't start until 5 AM" even though the "shuttle" that picked me up the night before was the same taxi. He wanted to charge 180 Bolivares (it costs 250 Bolivares to get to the airport all the way from the center of Caracas).

Overall, a very poor experience.

The gym was OK.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Aram F
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Everything was OK, until they made a mistake with my room, instead of 2 beds, just one, the elevators take forever to come down or up, have to remind the front desk for the extra bed 3 times, no towels for 3 people or anything else, it toke 4 calls for me to get what my family need, the staff was great, but the front desk people were very intense, for what you paid your money is not worth, I will pick a better hotel next time. OHHH BTW never got a bedroom with 2 beds.
Good luck to you.

Hotel Alex
#14 of 86 in Caracas
El Recreo
Gran Melia Caracas Hotel

Been to Venezuela Marriott Hotel Playa Grande? Share your experiences!