“Fantastic trip, never to be forgotten.”
Review of Angel Falls

Angel Falls
Book In Advance
More Info
$1,067.00*
and up
5-Day Excursion to Canaima National Park from Caracas
More attraction details
Owner description: This breathtakingly beautiful waterfall is 16 times the height of Niagara Falls and one of Venezuela's top tourist draws.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I travelled around Venezuela for the first time in 2002, I had the best time of my life, so much so that I have returned to Venezuela twice since and will go again.
For the Angel falls trip myself and my friend took an overnight coach from Maracay, which is th emain transport hub for buses to get you just about anywhere in Venezuela after landing in Caracas. A bus from Caracas to Maracay took about 2 hrs ( I think) The bus to Cuidad Boliver(the jumping off point for all trips to the falls) from Maracay took 12 hrs but it stops regularly and everyone gets off and chats whilst sipping hot coffee from the cafes that are always open in the bus terminals. TOP TIP: Make sure you have a jacket and a fleece and long trousers for the bus journey. I remember sitting there watching people getting on with quilts and blankets and looking at my pal and we were saying 'Omg why on earth would you need a blanket, it's so hot!' Well, we soon found out when the bus started moving and the air con came on, blasting icy cold air all night long, not nice. We were clinging onto each other for any warmth we could get as we were wearing the same thing we pretty much wore throughout the trip, shorts and t shirts with hiking boots. The many stops were heavenly as the wonderful heat hits you everytime you step out fo the 'fridge on wheels'.
We stayed in a hostel facing the Orinocco, it had a huge terrace and loads of info. The rooms were the most basic anyone could imaginge, really rough and very hot. So we went from one extreme to the other, lying on metal beds with no sheets with the shutters open out onto a rickety balcony I was afraid to stand on incase it collapsed. The noise levels in Cuidad Bolivar are mental, car horns tooting all night long and music blasting out of cars, so dont expect a restful nights sleep. We paid around £2 for th eroom so we could hardly complain. In the end it was definitely the best choice, they sorted out out flight into Canaima and the trek to the falls with one two nights sleeping at base camp in Canaima and one on isla raton, facing the falls, deep in the jungle, for around $100.
When we arrived at the airfield we were stunned to see a gleaming white lear jet, we were certain a mistake had been made. I whispered to Debbie, 'dont say anything, just get on' It ahd 12 seats in cream leather, the captain talked us through th eflight then off we went. We felt like movie stars, it was incredible to travel in such luxury into the jungle, I will never forget it, never.
The trip itself down the river on a dug out canoe and sleeping in a hammock all night (long night), showering under the rain as I stood at the edge of the river, trekking to the falls, hearing the roar of the water thundering down from the top of the Tepui, the whole trip was magical and it will stay with me forever.

4  Thank Louwritetravel

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is not the easiest of places to get to but it is so worthwhile.
From the UK fly to Caracas and then to Maturin, then to Cuidad Bolivar and then to Canaima. From there you have to take a boat, walk, take another boat and walk again.
The last walk would prove challenging for both the young and the old. It is very humid in the jungle and at times the incline is steep and rocky. Take as much water as you can, minimum two litres per person.
Also a good idea to take a swimming costume, mossie spray, sun cream and a hat.
The sight when you get there is worth all the effort and simply stunning to see. The place where you camp is basic but adequate and the food is nice. Take a torch and be ready for a cool evening!

3  Thank TartanWanderer
Reviewed January 29, 2013

there are some special places people should visit before to died, angel falls is one of them, the lagoon is spectacular, you can go swimming over the watterfall in a lagoon. the trip is not for very old people of small childrens cause you have to spend time 5 or 6 hours in a small boat. you will sleep at least one night in front of the fall in a very rustic campament with hamacas and mosquitos nest.

1  Thank VeneTravelgirl
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This has been the number one experience of my life! there are no words to describe the emotions felt when we were flying over Angel's falls. Tears ran down my face ... I was beyond happy.

My husband and I went there with some our friends. We were a total of eight. We spent one night and I wish I knew better when we reserved the "posada", because there is no way one can appreciate this place in one day and half. Next time will book it for 4 or more days.

There are no words to describe this experience... so I can just say... please don't miss it in this life time!

4  Thank Lucy D
Reviewed January 6, 2013

To swim in a lake formed halfway down the world's highest waterfall is probably one of the most unique and amazing experiences of a lifetime. Its truly deep inside the jungle and to get there you can experience the fun and adventure of mini-airplanes, motorized canoe rides though rapid strewn river, hikes in the Gran Sabana, uphill trek in the mountains and overnight camping in hammocks!!

2  Thank frugal_travelr