“Irresponsible, Terrible Staff, Terrible Supervisor..”

LIDOTEL Centro Lido Caracas
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Panama City, Panama
“Irresponsible, Terrible Staff, Terrible Supervisor..”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Basicaly, I felt Insulted at this hotel and Left. Here is what happened:

We had a confirmed reservation and provided a local credit card with all the forms required by email, 2 weeks before arrival and had a confirmation that the rooms where already charged to the card. Our flight arraived late, 1am, we were checking inn and the front desk person told us the credit card provided did not cleared and that our reservation was cancelled that day at Noon. They did not informed us, no email, phonecall. Then the front desk person ask us that if we did not pay cash 6 nights in local currency or provided another local Credit Card, which we had none, just arriving from international Flight at 1am, she said we could not check inn and she would be kind enough to TRY and find us another hotel. As you all know, Caracas hotels usually fully booked and need 1 week ahead reservation. We explained our situation, it was THEIR fault, for not informing us of the event. For which we could have sent a person to pay in local currency Before arriving. but their inaction was such, that they did not care. They just cancelled the reservation, no big deal for them.
I finally talked the front desk Girl into calling her supervisor, which was in her house, in bed. She was extremely rude, angry we were bothering her that late into the night, and did not care for our case at all. I explained that this was completely their fault as to not notifying us before chekinn time of this problem, even though the hotel had all our phones and email contact. She did not even try to help, did not come to the hotel to see our problem, did not care.
The front desk girl was powerless and her supervisor refused to let us in.
I found this completely rude and left for another lousy hotel .

I would definitely not recommend this Hotel, staff simply dont care, talks to you extremely rude, I felt personally insulted by their rudeness and indifference. This should not happen to anyone, less when you are arriving so late and only care about getting some sleep.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank WorldTrotter100K-Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel for 2 nights, it was great and very unique. The food and the service were excellent. The location is perfect, surrounded by malls and restaurants. Awesome gym!!!
I made my reservation online trough the website www.lidotel.com.ve which make the process of booking much easier than usual.
Next time I will book again in this Hotel. I definitely recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DINBEL
Nyborg, Denmark
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Just stayed one night.
We had a great service checking in, we arrived early, so the hold oure bags and the room was ready around noon -1 pm.
BIG room, think it was a suiet, since it has 2 rooms (tv/sofa) and a big bedroom with desk and bathroom.
Last day of the Caracas trip and wanted to se another hotel in CCS, but we where getting a bit sick (flu), so we chose to stay in the room and have room service at night. Food okay.
The next morning we checked out. That is where the problem began.
I had booked in advance with my visa-card, as I normaly do. When arrived at the hotel, I told them that I wanted to pay in CASH, for the stay. The said no problem and we will have a look at it tomorrow when checking out. But, when checking out, the hotel had charged it from my visa-card, and no way i could make them "undo" it - even wrote to the administrater of the hotel, but not even a reply....
The story is, the hotel is owned by a group, when making a reservacion only you pay (only way to make a reservacion online) with a credit card, since I only have a nomal "venezuelan debit card" i used my int. visa card. The staff at the hotel, informs me after I'm truing to pay, that the only recive pay in cash if i walk in from the streat or for the room service! seems like almost everybody pays by card upfront.

Firts time in Venezuela, where I cant choose the way i want to pay. Never had a problem at any other hotels and it should NOT be a problem at a 4-5 star hotel in CCS.

The hotel all in all, is nice, but dos need to sound proof more - we where woken up at 5am, by the couple going at it in the room above us and the where not yelling...... :((

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harholm
north america
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I think the hotel is over-rated in the reviews on tripadvisor.
I travel widely in Latin America, and in Venezuela. This is my first time at the Lidotel, and I compare it to the Marriott in Caracas as well as the Gran Melia. I am seven days through an 8 day stay.

The only really excellent thing about the hotel is the great gym and steam/sauna area. As a gym buff, this is important to me.

I had a VIP room. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean much of the time (spotting maid service), the bathroom was OK (big leaks in the shower). Internet service was slow at times.

The hotel is connected to a mall that also has a grocery store, which is convenient. It is in a safe location.

There are two major weaknesses. The food is below average to awful. The breakfast buffet is very weak: cold, runny, greasy eggs, white bread, and always the same. The coffee is undrinkable. I invited a guest to the hotel, and we he had a cup, he gagged and spit it out. I ordered a plate of spaghetti one night, and told them I needed sauce without sugar in it (I am a diabetic). They served me spaghetti with a can of cheap tomatoe sauce with tons of sugar - and charged $20. Very weak food morning and night.

Service is oddly cold. No one makes eye contact, says hi or good morning, and so on. I can handle that, but attitude is weak here.

The Marriott is more expensive, but has much better service and food.

The Gran Melia is the same price, and also has better food and service, though its location is weak.

The only thing to recommend this place is the gym. If you're not into that, stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank walNorthAmerica
Miami
Reviewed December 1, 2009

I went there on a last moment trip, which I thought that could not get a decent hotel..... But let tell you that this is one of the best hotel that I have stay in my entire life.... I can hardly wait to go down to Caracas and stay there

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank carlos016
Mexico
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I was really satisfied with my overall experience at Lido Hotel, as the majority of hotels in Caracas it's really expensive.
Breakfast is included in the rate, the food selection is always the same so after a week it really becomes boring, but the quality of the food is really good.
As a guest you have access to recently remodeled gym, with state of the art new equipment (Hammer Strength and Life Fitness).
I read some concerns about access security to the hotel, during my stay they just implemented card key access restrictions to all floors.
The lobby bar is small and with no ambience at all.

• Liked — room and gym
  • Disliked — lobby bar
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Netuit
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Nice hotel that is in a shopping mall in Caracas in front of the Embassy suites and a block away from JW marriott. One of the best areas (and safest) of Caracas. Small hotel with good service, very good rooms, a cheaper alternative to the Marriot. Good for foreigners

• Liked — Ample rooms
  • Disliked — very small lounge
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Siroco
LIDOTELCUSTOMERSVC, Manager at LIDOTEL Centro Lido Caracas, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for talking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback as we continue to strive for excellent service. We hope to see you again soon.