“Best hotel in Caracas”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Caracas
Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My favourite hotel in Caracas.
I stayed here over a period of 4 years on a monthly basis.
The hotel is really central in the city, so everything is nearby.
beautiful rooms, which have of course everything you need.
Separate room, with television, couches, minibar which is well stacked.
Rooms are clean and classic style.
Beds are excellent.
The hotel has a great classic style bar, and restaurant.
Also in the downstair bar, there is live music, and the Sushi is great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was horrified, getting ready for a 5am early plane, I get into the shower and have freezing water..no hot water in the morning! This makes it terrible, but, I'll be clear, the hotel is otherwise just very poor - the staff were OK (bit offhand at desk and bored and rude in the cafe), breakfast is a bit gross but there's lots of it, the fitness gym is good BUT so it should be because this is supposed to be a luxury hotel and costs as much per night as the monthly Venezuelan minimum wage (which is probably what most of the staff get paid). Even a bowl of tomato soup in the cafe was 15 Bolivares (around $15!!).

And it all feels kind of dirty, The atrium inside is weirdly dark and murky. And inside the room everything is done very badly, wobbly handles, leaking bathplug, cracked tiles, the AC controls don't work well and the AC rattles. i was put there by my client on a business trip, but left to my own devices I would certainly pay much less to stay in a friendly family hotel (with cracked tiles rattly air con etc) rather than hand over a small fortune to a bland international chain.

2  Thank GeorgeThePorge
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Cities like Caracas are a perfect example of why you shouldnt go to a city with pre-conceived perceptions or notions..of course Caracas is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, of course you have to be careful even during day time but as they say - every cloud has a silver lining and so does Caracas..to begin with, the airport is at a perfect location, next to the Carribbean with hills on one side, the landing is pretty dramatic, just the kind of start you would want while visiting a city like Caracas. The airport is in a different city and the drive to Caracas takes a good hour but again its quite scenic as you drive past the hills separating the two cities.

Now, if your perception of Caracas or Venezuela is that it will be a city with poverty visible everywhere, then you are mistaken. Venezuela is a rich country, well with world's largest oil reserves, it sure is eons from being a downtrodden city.

Anyways, upon arriving at the hotel, you expect the typical Embassy lobby with a courtyard and lobby having water features and the ceiling going all the way to the topmost floor of the hotel, so this embassy lives up to the expectations again with standard features. Check-in is smooth and you are asked to shed your inhibitions of 'what is noone at the hotel speaks English' as everyone here is fluent in Eng which is a big boon in an otherwise Eng deprived country (so to speak).

Rooms are a standard again with a separate living room, a minibar and a small kitchnette (not every room has but if you ask they provide a microwave). Breakfast is great, again a wonderful standard at Embassy properties with cooked-to-order omelettes besides the regular breakfast options. Evenings are the best part at Embassy properties what with drinks on the house, its a boon for a business traveler to unwind after a hard days work. The pool is a little small but has a hot tub which makes up for everything.

About the location, the hotel is right in the heart of financial district of the city and also close to all the major restaurants (and they are wonderful, do check out the restaurant neighbour hood). Due to the security situation in the city, I didnt venture out much but if someone knows Spanish and is willing to explore a bit knowing the underlying risks, i think the city does offer few touristic options. I of course wasnt ready to take the plunge.

All in all, the stay was simply perfect, a comfortable one at that considering you are in the hotel on all day.

PS: the hotel if booked thru Hilton Honors in USD will be way too expensive so remeber to book it directly with the hotel in Venezuelan bolivares and pay in cash too, rather than thru a credit card. If paid thru the latter, you will be up for a sticker shock. Come thank me if you use the former option :)

Room Tip: Choose a room on the highest possible floor, it gives you a birds eye view of the city and the mount...
2  Thank thewanderer-nammo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Hotel looks good from the outisde but the rooms are damp and the equipment doesnt work inside it. Not worth the $. Nothing works in the rooms, not even the safe. The rooms are damp and old. In the restaurant the staff is just awful. The only good thing about my stay was leaving!

1  Thank Blowenfusen
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really nice hotel. Prices are high , like everywhere in the city , but this one is central and security is high. Service is personal , breakfast and dinner are quite good , it is in front of a nice small mall with restaurants and cinemas.

Room Tip: try the highest floors
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one night. Pro of the hotel is its convenient location, you can even do a nice morning walk towards the Castellana area. Comfortable beds although the rooms are a little outdated. There was no genuine attention from the staff during arrival.Response time on special requests is slow, I had to call 3 times to get my window closed and the bottle of mineral water did never arrived. During breakfast, waitresses very busy with their own gossips instead of cleaning up the tables, offering coffee etc. (maybe because it was Saturday morning and a lot quieter as usual).

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors are noisy
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Given the price and #1 rating, I was expecting more from this hotel. Overall, it's a big hotel that has very friendly staff (who ultimately proved untrustworthy) and nice amenities. By US standards, it's dated and could use a face-lift. (I don't have a point of comparison for other Venezuelan hotels.) It seems like it's stuck in the 1980s or so with the decor and design.

At first, the room itself was lovely and my spouse and I were very pleased - there were two rooms (a living room and a bedroom), flat-screen tvs in each, etc. Upon further inspection and experience in the room though, it became clear that housekeeping, and possibly maintenance, were far from thorough in their efforts. There was a shirt left hanging in the wardrobe, a seal on a bottle of alcohol in the mini bar was open, the two boxes of condoms, also in the mini bar, seemed to be opened or water damaged. When I tried to shower, the hot water was barely warm, and to get any water that wasn't cold it had to come out in a trickle. There was also hair on the floor that I picked up when I was picking up some food I'd dropped on the floor. This, in addition to everything else, did not give me the feeling that the room was well maintained or thoroughly cleaned.

The highlight of the visit was the manager's happy hour, which includes free (alcoholic) drinks for a few hours every evening. We each had one drink and really enjoyed this perk.

We ordered room service, which was good, came promptly and was reasonably priced.

There is wifi throughout the hotel, but it didn't reach our bedroom and was only available in the living room area of the suite.

The biggest disappointment came when we were checking out and I discovered I'd been overcharged for the room. When we checked in, I paid for our room in cash and was told the charge was 1,880BsF. I was surprised at that amount and had been expecting something closer to 1,750BsF. The clerk explained that with taxes etc, it came to 1,880 (room was 15xx plus taxes and fees). I said that was fine, and paid the amount in cash (if I'd paid with a credit card I would have received the official exchange rate, which is 3-5 times less than you can get everywhere else). There were two clerks there when I paid and I was shown that amount on a computer screen. All seemed normal enough. When I was checking out, the morning clerk gave me a receipt for 1765BsF. I was unpleasantly surprised by this, asked my spouse, who also remembered me paying 1880BsF, but felt helpless. I had a cab waiting and was flying out of the country. Due to this, I couldn't wait to sort it out nor would I have any use for the extra 115BsF if I got them back. It's not a ton of money (~$8), but the principal of it irked me. This is supposed to be an international class hotel. You shouldn't be short changing your guests.

All in all, it was a fine hotel. I'd probably stay here again if not for getting over charged for my room. I just wish I'd understood that while this hotel is fine, it doesn't hold a candle to really nice hotels back in the US.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple