“Not as nice as I had hoped given the #1 ranking”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Caracas
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Not as nice as I had hoped given the #1 ranking”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Given the price and #1 rating, I was expecting more from this hotel. Overall, it's a big hotel that has very friendly staff (who ultimately proved untrustworthy) and nice amenities. By US standards, it's dated and could use a face-lift. (I don't have a point of comparison for other Venezuelan hotels.) It seems like it's stuck in the 1980s or so with the decor and design.

At first, the room itself was lovely and my spouse and I were very pleased - there were two rooms (a living room and a bedroom), flat-screen tvs in each, etc. Upon further inspection and experience in the room though, it became clear that housekeeping, and possibly maintenance, were far from thorough in their efforts. There was a shirt left hanging in the wardrobe, a seal on a bottle of alcohol in the mini bar was open, the two boxes of condoms, also in the mini bar, seemed to be opened or water damaged. When I tried to shower, the hot water was barely warm, and to get any water that wasn't cold it had to come out in a trickle. There was also hair on the floor that I picked up when I was picking up some food I'd dropped on the floor. This, in addition to everything else, did not give me the feeling that the room was well maintained or thoroughly cleaned.

The highlight of the visit was the manager's happy hour, which includes free (alcoholic) drinks for a few hours every evening. We each had one drink and really enjoyed this perk.

We ordered room service, which was good, came promptly and was reasonably priced.

There is wifi throughout the hotel, but it didn't reach our bedroom and was only available in the living room area of the suite.

The biggest disappointment came when we were checking out and I discovered I'd been overcharged for the room. When we checked in, I paid for our room in cash and was told the charge was 1,880BsF. I was surprised at that amount and had been expecting something closer to 1,750BsF. The clerk explained that with taxes etc, it came to 1,880 (room was 15xx plus taxes and fees). I said that was fine, and paid the amount in cash (if I'd paid with a credit card I would have received the official exchange rate, which is 3-5 times less than you can get everywhere else). There were two clerks there when I paid and I was shown that amount on a computer screen. All seemed normal enough. When I was checking out, the morning clerk gave me a receipt for 1765BsF. I was unpleasantly surprised by this, asked my spouse, who also remembered me paying 1880BsF, but felt helpless. I had a cab waiting and was flying out of the country. Due to this, I couldn't wait to sort it out nor would I have any use for the extra 115BsF if I got them back. It's not a ton of money (~$8), but the principal of it irked me. This is supposed to be an international class hotel. You shouldn't be short changing your guests.

All in all, it was a fine hotel. I'd probably stay here again if not for getting over charged for my room. I just wish I'd understood that while this hotel is fine, it doesn't hold a candle to really nice hotels back in the US.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Watermelon11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed twice in this Hotel for business related matters in the last 4 weeks. Rooms are clean and good. Check in is smooth and OK. They do not tell you all the details of the Hotel like free happy hour everyday and that breakfast is included. It looks like they assume you know.
Wifi is good in Lobby and in the room you have to switch between the available options to see which one works best. Skyped without a problem with 3 people simultaneously. WIFI works very well in living room area of the suite but signal strength drops dramatically in the bedroom. Even to the point of loosing connection. This is a con.
Breakfast in morning is good. Very good selection. 7 to 7:30 is peak hour. These days it was full.
The restaurant for lunch or dinner is OK. Nothing spectacular.
Rooms try to get a room on the floors icw sound form the street and from within the hotel. If street noise bothers you try to get a room on a floor higher than 9 and select room 1 to 6. These should be less noisy.
Bed is very good
TV options regular

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you need to travel to Venezuela to have business meetings at the industrial area of Valencia, the best option is the Embassy. Services are tailored by the international Hilton brand quality standards. Quite confortable rooms, nice restaurants and bar inside the hotel, good gym equipments. Near of the hotel area there are good restaurants and options for a snack with good prices. The hotel is new on the city (just 3 years old at most) and the staff is service oriented with good understanding of english to keep a basic comprehension for the most basic needs.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms up to the top floor, avoid the first five floors due to the noise caused by music p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I was in a corporate meeting last Tuesday at the Embassy (although not staying there as it was full). The event went well, and service was good, but there was a specific incident for which I am very grateful. I went to the bathroom, and forgot my iPhone on the bathroom counter. I only realized I was missing it more than an hour later. With little hope of finding it in one of the cities with highest crime rate in the world, I asked someone from the hotel staff at the restaurant. She had found it, and taken it to the front desk. She brought it to me, and when I wanted to tip her, she strongly refused saying it was her job. It was a nice experience and I was positively surprised!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed on week of September 17, 2012 and let me share some facts and at the end my summary:

PROS:
+Breakfast buffet....plenty of options to choose from and was included in the price!!
+ Slept well ....
+ Had a transportation problem and Front Desk (Juan Pablo and other lady that can't recall her name) really help me out.

CONS:
- Ordered pasta via room service....it was not good at all...very expensive!
- Called room service to pick up the tray that I left out in the hall...in the morning it was still next to my door...
- Room did not even had the ' Do not disturb' sign..which is a standard.

- In the morning the Chef himself (Jose) is the one preparing the breakfast..its clear he is not happy doing this / or not happy having need the wake up so early. Even when he is done with your order...he does not inform you and place the plate with your breakfast in front of other customers. Now if you are nice blond he will even take your breakfast to your table as I saw.

- Hotel is not near the beach, so did not see the need to have such stains,mold in the bathroom...check my photo for a fact.

- Used Laundry...super extremly expensive...don't use it!!

SUMMARY: Hotel structure is very nice, however there are employees who are NOT applying the basic customer service principles and specially the cleaning aspect in the rooms!!.

I would prefer to stay some other place if I am back to Caracas unless manager make some STRONG change in customer service.

************************************************************************************
If you find this help full please flag it as such...thanks in advanced.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the high floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank VictorPr
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Smooth check in, lovely suites and a VERY nice breakfast which included two wonderful harpists playing during the meal all went to make for a great stay. Ok the hotel is not in the best area but it is in no way as bad as certain guides would have you believe. A great stay in a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor to help with any noise from the street.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Wudeee
Oslo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Going to caracas we were warned so many times by Lonely Planet to get a safe place to stay, we decided to go for the Embassy Suites. Coming to town we realized the truth about Caracas might be a little different. Ofcourse there are places to avoid also here, but that's no different from many of the big cities in the world.

The Hotel was neat and well run, the rooms and beds were fine, and the food was on the better side of the scale. Bonus for free access to the Gym included with the room!

Right next door is one of the bigger shopping malls in Caracas, great for shopping if that's your poison. Prices are in general a bit steep here though, but you will literally get anything. New sunglasses on my part!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends