Altamira Suites
$48
  • Pool
Gran Melia Caracas Hotel(Caracas)
$110
$109
$58
$30
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $39/night.

$46
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $54/night.

$169
JW Marriott
$159
Renaissance Hotels
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I traveled to Caracas on business and spent a week at Altamira Suites. I got what they call a penthouse on the top floor, but from what I could see from my colleagues' rooms, the rooms are pretty much the same time, although slightly different in size and in what they come with.
Mine was a large two-room suite (a living room and a bedroom) with a kitchenette (which I didn't use but it had plates, cups, mugs, silverware, pots and pans, a coffemaker, and a blender even) and a countertop fridge. Airconditioner worked fine which is very important in Venezuela. The room also had a hairdryer, an iron and an ironing board, and a safe. A TV in each room (not in all hotel rooms), and even scales.
They had something that approaches a problem though, and it is internet connection. They have wi-fi in the lobby and in the public spaces, but some rooms have only cable Internet connection, like mine did. It worked for me, so I didn't care, but some people might be upset about this situation.
The hotel is clean and well-maintained, the rooms are cleaned daily, but if you don't speak Spanish you're mostly in trouble. Only people at the reception speak good English. Almost uniformly, people are very nice and are trying to be helpful, but with no language, things often become problematic.
The restaurant in the hotel is marvellous. Breakfast is nice, the usual cold cuts and hot dishes with a bit of a local tinge, but the food offered in The Palms restaurant is superb, I would say among the best I had in my quite a few travels. No English menu, though, so be warned. The menu we had had an epigraph from Julio Cortazar and entrees' descriptions to match, and we thought it was a cute touch. Service varies from extremely prompt to incredibly slow, although they gave us a lovely complimentary drink on the slow night, and I don't know whether it was just a nice gesture, or something by way of an apology.
They have a three-story bar on the top floor, with two floors being an outdoor bar. A wonderful view of Caracas, excellent cocktails (didn't like the wines too much) and wonderful house pizza.
The hotel is located reasonably downtown, a short walk from the subway, there is a supermarket very close by, and a little cafe for a quick meal, although we were mostly driven around, or took cabs which, as were told, is the safest option in Caracas provided that you use what they call official taxis.
On the whole, I would definitely recommend Altamira Suites, but maybe I was lucky in getting the room I did.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We staid here for few weeks coz of work,we got a like a room apartment with open plan living area overlooking the bust street. Couldn't get used to the noise outside especially on the weekends. Accommodation wise it's ok, you can do your laundry on the 14th floor, and there's also a roof top bar with amazing views of caracas. No one speaks in English so a little bit of Spanish will do you good.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the Avila,a lot more quiet and with a Beautiful view of the mountains
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Check-in is not before 15.00, don't expect to get in your room before. I had to wait in the bar but i was ready for a beer so it was okay, but the barman talked me into "algo para picar", and it cost me 85 bucks in the end - do not eat in the restaurant; there are loads of places nearby e.g. The Centro Plaza 3mins walk. If you find something wrong, don't expect it to be fixed, although the hotel staff will be polite (mostly), and make the right noises - cope. My suite was fine except the safe was closed so I couldn't use it. I tried to get it opened but I gave in and locked my valuables in my suitcase. The gym opens at 6.00, so I went there before work but the guy never turned up before 6.20 so it was too late for me. Make the most of the breakfast although it does not vary from day to day. The beer is 25 Bolivar (2 bucks) so not too bad, but it is 8 in the supermarket.
On the upside, some afternoons a guy is in the foyer giving away excellent sangria, and on the very top floor there is a laundry and a Señora you would want for a mother who will wash and dry one load for 10 Bolivares. The top floor is also home to the 360 bar with magnificent views - go all the way up. There is a stunning bar/restaurant with St Germaine-type music, cushions, and hammocks. It's a pity the staff are surly, rude and unhelpful up there. There is no beer for some reason.
I speak as someone from outside the country and I think the lack of manners is nationally prevalent. As for the rest, keep your money safely stashed, don't go out after dark on your own, and don't wear a watch.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Adydye
Reviewed January 31, 2012

In my suite:
The waste pipe of the washbowl/sink is leaking into the bathroom.
After reporting to management, the maintenance staff was not able to repairt it;
instead the staff placed a towel on the floor .....
Room was quite old, not worth the expensive price!

Business Center:
friendly staff, 3 PC for free internet
WLAN/WiFi: did not check for it

Room Tip: Suitable only for business travellers Choose higher floors due to street noise In walking distance to restaurents area Chacao/CC San Ignacio
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SalsaLoco
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I agree with some of the reviews in the sense that the rooms are dated and dirty. They explained -after I'd complained- they had two kinds of rooms. They seem to believe anything not called "premium" can be dirty and generally non-standard. This is barely a 3-star hotel if you're unlucky to get what they call "regular" rooms, and perhaps 4-satr if you get the premium rooms. Having travelled widely, I had never been to a hotel that claims to be 5- star yet discriminates between room types in the same building, and worst of all, equates simplicity to shabiness and poor service. Avoid it if you can.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family