“Latin-America Chic”

Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Madrid, Spain
“Latin-America Chic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Check-in is not before 15.00, don't expect to get in your room before. I had to wait in the bar but i was ready for a beer so it was okay, but the barman talked me into "algo para picar", and it cost me 85 bucks in the end - do not eat in the restaurant; there are loads of places nearby e.g. The Centro Plaza 3mins walk. If you find something wrong, don't expect it to be fixed, although the hotel staff will be polite (mostly), and make the right noises - cope. My suite was fine except the safe was closed so I couldn't use it. I tried to get it opened but I gave in and locked my valuables in my suitcase. The gym opens at 6.00, so I went there before work but the guy never turned up before 6.20 so it was too late for me. Make the most of the breakfast although it does not vary from day to day. The beer is 25 Bolivar (2 bucks) so not too bad, but it is 8 in the supermarket.
On the upside, some afternoons a guy is in the foyer giving away excellent sangria, and on the very top floor there is a laundry and a Señora you would want for a mother who will wash and dry one load for 10 Bolivares. The top floor is also home to the 360 bar with magnificent views - go all the way up. There is a stunning bar/restaurant with St Germaine-type music, cushions, and hammocks. It's a pity the staff are surly, rude and unhelpful up there. There is no beer for some reason.
I speak as someone from outside the country and I think the lack of manners is nationally prevalent. As for the rest, keep your money safely stashed, don't go out after dark on your own, and don't wear a watch.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Adydye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Caracas, Venezuela
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

In my suite:
The waste pipe of the washbowl/sink is leaking into the bathroom.
After reporting to management, the maintenance staff was not able to repairt it;
instead the staff placed a towel on the floor .....
Room was quite old, not worth the expensive price!

Business Center:
friendly staff, 3 PC for free internet
WLAN/WiFi: did not check for it

Room Tip: Suitable only for business travellers Choose higher floors due to street noise In walking distance...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SalsaLoco

Travelers are raving about these Caracas hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I agree with some of the reviews in the sense that the rooms are dated and dirty. They explained -after I'd complained- they had two kinds of rooms. They seem to believe anything not called "premium" can be dirty and generally non-standard. This is barely a 3-star hotel if you're unlucky to get what they call "regular" rooms, and perhaps 4-satr if you get the premium rooms. Having travelled widely, I had never been to a hotel that claims to be 5- star yet discriminates between room types in the same building, and worst of all, equates simplicity to shabiness and poor service. Avoid it if you can.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at Altamira Suites for 3 nights on business. Overall I was pretty disappointed - I travel with work a great deal, and this hotel would definitely not fall into the 5-star category in most people's standards.

The rooms are quite dated, with chipped furniture, and cracked and dirty tiles in the small bathroom. The TV only appeared to have two working channels, and the wifi didn't work at all anywhere other than the lobby, which was very irritating. I always find it frustrating when hotels provide no information in the room, i.e. breakfast time, restaurant menu, where the pool/bar is located etc - there was no information available at all. The air-conditioning was extremely loud (to the point where it was difficult to have it on at all overnight).

On a more positive note, the location is good and the hotel is pretty secure (which seems to be what partly justifies the high price). The pool is lovely, and the view from the rooftop bar is fantastic (as is the inside area). The rooms are very large, and the bed was comfortable. The staff are helpful and friendly. But overall, I'm afraid I didn't feel that these positives added up to the high rate they charge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Everytime I have to travel for business luckily I have stayed in very good hotels. I saw this one over the internet before arriving to Caracas and I thought it was going to be a good one too, but no. It's not a bad hotel, but I expected a LOT more from a 5 stars hotel.

The service was average, I even had a problem at arrival because they didn't understand I was arriving 2am of the day my reservation was made (early check in) so my room was not ready, it was taken. They gave me another room and it felt it was the old room no one wanted. Everything was extremely old, the TV wasn't flat screen (do they even still make them?). That first day, the water began to filter from the WC and everything was wet. The took more than 2 hours to come to fix it.

The location of the hotel is Ok and I really can't remember any amenities.
The best: The restaurant, they have tables outside, beside the pool and the food is very good.
The least: the bathroom, the shower was tiny and too old.
I really won't like to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eileenesca
Jacksonville Beach, FL.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

I am now 33years old, I was 16 traveling with my father and had the best time. Wonderful people, places and would reccommend this hotel to everyone.
My stay was in the 90's but hey I plan on visiting very soon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

it's more likely a 4 stars than a 5 (but it is common in Venezuela), and located in a very safe and quiet area (for Caracas Standards ...) you can walk paying attention even at night ! high speed free connection LAN and WIFI. full furnished, small pool too close to restaurant. great food not overpriced if you consider the quality. clean and confortable but quite noisy from street and airconditioner. you must be enough tired to sleep well...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business