“Good location, great breakfast”

Gran Melia Caracas Hotel
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Brazil
“Good location, great breakfast”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

It is located one block away from Sabana Grande subway station, which is very convenient considering walking around Caracas is not safe, and El Recreo mall is attached to the hotel. The room is typical of other Meliá hotels, all in classic wood and carpet on the floor. There is no fridge and no free internet connection available in the room. The breakfast is amazing with all kinds of breads, cakes, churros, fruits, juices and so on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calidadmelia, Gerente de Calidad at Gran Melia Caracas Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear guests,
First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen Gran Meliá Caracas Hotel as the place to stay.

We really appreciate all the good aspects you have mentioned. We actually feel so proud to know that you found some of our services amazing.

In the other hand, we really apologize to have not reached your expectations in some of our services. We would like you to know that we will take in consideration all these negative aspects in order to improve our product.

Once more thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again and be able to reach all your expectations by far.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have been there for several times and I always enjoyed all the services they offer. The hotel is very central and not noisy. Excellent food and wine. Prompt services. I look forward to going there again when I will be in Caracas next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Calidadmelia, Quality Manager at Gran Melia Caracas Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Receive warm greetings from the team that integrates the Hotel Gran Melia Caracas. We wish to express our deep appreciation for your stay in our Hotel and the valuable time has been devoted to write to us. Feedback and suggestions are of vital importance for us because in this way we can improve the quality of our service.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ok, I have multiple comments about this hotel, I have stayed 4 times, and it is worst everynight.

If you call the international reservation number the price is 2 or 3 times cheaper than the rates that they offer at the hotel or the local phone number. If you must stay here call the international reservation number because if you arrive without a reservation it will be much more expensive. ($209 vs. $450). Also do not use the internet reservation system, they tend to loose those reservations too.

I arrived to the hotel at 10 am. They informed that if I wanted to receive my room at that time I should pay an additional 50% of the night price, although I have been charged for "guaranteed early check-in", in no other hotel I have been charged for it.

Once in my room there were NO towels of any kind (neither hand, body or face towels), I had to call a couple of times to get a couple of towels. The safe in the room was not working.

Room service: Extremely expensive, not so good. I ordered a burger and it was lacking lettuce, the tomato was hard and very thick.

My previous visit my reservation was "cancelled" Apparently there was an event or something in the hotel and they needed the rooms, I heard a bunch of guest with the same complain. After 6 hours without a solution I had to look for a different hotel because they had "No responsability, since it was my fault that the reservation was cancelled".

Location is good, you have a shopping center next to it, so you can buy stuff and eat. In general it is not a safe area, so be aware if you are walking on the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MariaM7
Calidadmelia, Gerente de Calidad at Gran Melia Caracas Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Receive a cordial greeting on behalf of the Gran Meliá Caracas Hotel. We want to get our sincere apologies, concerning the problems cited in your stay with us. We continually work with our partners to ensure we provide the best quality of service to our guests. We appreciate that has expressed us your dissatisfaction; this way allows us to take corrective actions in this regard.

Staying at your disposal, please get the contact of the quality management to assist you in any future reservation request:
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Guaranteed me a price on the phone on New Year's Eve and charged me double when I arrived. I was stuck and was infuriated but they offered no help whatsoever. Took 2 hours to bring ice to the room. Furnishings are nice, bedding comfortable, but jacuzzi tub was in need of repair. Supposedly a 5 start hotel. Service was 1 star.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank allenbenjamin
Receive a cordial greeting on behalf of the Gran Meliá Caracas Hotel. We wish to extend our most heartfelt apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay at our Hotel. Facts as those you describe are not live up to our standards. We appreciate your collaboration to demonstrate us your dissatisfaction, because so we can take corrective action with the points that tells us.
Staying at your disposal I send you the contact of the quality management to assist you in any requirement for a future reservation:
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have stayed here 4 times now and are never disappointed. The Royal Service on the Red Level floors is amazing with the private checkin service, morning breakfast and evening cocktails. Definatley worth the extra cost.The staff are all amazing (especially Maurely) at nice lady working at the Royal Service Check in desk. She is super friendly and goes out of her way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. The hotel is right beside the shopping mall which is very convenient and safe. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. This is the only hotel that we would stay at in Caracas.

Room Tip: Book the Royal Servie Red Level rooms. Worth the extra costs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dwyrwas
Calidadmelia, Gerente de Calidad at Gran Melia Caracas Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've stayed at Gran Melia Caracas, and liked the experience. The hotel has a very nice infrastructure, and I personally enjoyed the service (reception, bell-men, room-service: all was to my taste). It was also very convenient, as the hotel is linked to a shopping-mall where you may go for a walk, grab something to eat and enjoy interesting aspects of the Venezuelan culture. My personal favourite in Gran Melia Caracas was the breakfast, with excellent variety to choose from.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Maracaibo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days with my wife. Overall conditions are fair enough for a 5-hotel. Sleeping quality is great, everything at our room worked perfectly and we have no complains about hotel´s comfort. The only issue we found is that only 2 out of 6 elevators were on service, which was not an issue during a quiet weekend, but can be a major issue on crowded days.

Some friends gave us a bottle of wine so we decided to open it at our room. I walked to the executive floor´s bar and asked for a couple of wine glasses; I was told they were not allowed to give away glasses from that bar so, they would call room service and ask them to bring the glasses our room. We waited and waited and nobody came. After waiting for a while, I called service room from our room and asked again for the glasses, they told me they were going to check if they could provide empty wine glasses and they would call back. We waited and waited and nobody called. I called again and I was told they were not allowed to provide such service... we ended having our wine on coffee cups.

The hotel is strategically located for business purposes, a subway station is located within a walking distance (estación Sabana Grande), so the hotel can be easily reached from every corner of the city. The hotel is located next to a shopping Mall (El Recreo) so you can eat and shopping without virtually leave the hotel. I do not recommend, though, walking out of the hotel at nights, since the surroundings can become quite dangerous when the sun goes down (even the main door is closed for security reasons).

The parking rates are, as in almost all 5-stars hotels in Caracas, out of proportion. If you pay the hourly rate, you will pay more than 10% the price of the room in parking. If you go for the "flat rate", you will have to pay 2 times the flat rate per each night at the hotel, since the parking schedule goes from morning to midnight, instead of as according to hotel´s check-in and check-out time. Tip: if you need to park only for a few hours, go to "El Recreo" mall, which offers a more reasonable parking rate.

In summary:

Pros: Great sleep-quality, great deals if booked online (we paid almost 40% of the regular rate), 5-star hotel comfort.

Cons: Dangerous surroundings at nights, high parking rate, mediocre room service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the north overlooks the Avila mountain (with lots of buildings in the middle), which is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple