“Not what i would expect from a JW Marriott” 2 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Hotel Caracas
Ranked #1 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Not what i would expect from a JW Marriott”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed at Numerous JW Marriott's and they are all top notch hotels in excellent conditions and of the highest quality....

The JW in Caracas is a long way from what I would expect from the JW brand... For example, I was upgraded to a suite and it was lackluster. Curtains did not close in my room so at 7AM it was bright in the room and I had no way to make the room dark... The bathroom toilet was missing the cover and I had to ask them to bring a toilet cover. The bathtub was worn and had cracks... The food was poor and not very good... The exec lounge was extremely dark and didn't have a good assortment of food. Overall NOT impressed and this hotel did not seem like a Marriott branded hotel....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jamescasonjr
Roberto M, Director of Operations at JW Marriott Hotel Caracas, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest.

We are sorry you had a bad experience during last your visit with us. On behalf of the entire staff of the JW Marriott Caracas, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences. Please feel free to contact us at: mhrs.ccsjw.dops@marriotthotels.com; to understand in detail your problems and this way we can take the pertinent measures, so we can best serve you and other guest in the future.

We really hope you can visit us again in the near future and give us the opportunity to erase that bad memory in our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

The staff is wonderful, nice welcome and treatment during the stay.
The room (619) has a good size and comfortable marble bathroom. However, it smells humid and the mattress needs to be replaced.
The coffee shop does not open until 8am, even though the schedule says 7am. ( the new labor law.)
The brochure indicates they have a Sushi Bar between 12m and 3 pm but it is no longer there.
There is a shopping mall one block away. You can walk to it during the day but it is not too safe.
Only go if you are on a business trip, not for pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ClementinaH
Dear Guest.

We are sorry you had a bad experience during last your visit with us. On behalf of the entire staff of the JW Marriott Caracas, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences. Please feel free to contact us at: mhrs.ccsjw.dops@marriotthotels.com, so we can best serve you and other guest in the future.

Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I am in the hotel now after an OK night's sleep - one of the only easons I gave it even two stars is the beds are still nice. However,when I walked in the room, the curtains had fallen down and were balled up in a corner and the rest were hanging at a sorry angle, ready to fall if pulled. How did this room get serviced and who said it was 'ready" for a guest?. At $300 per night (corporate rate) one would expect bettter. I called down to complain and a "tecnico" was sent up to reset the drapes on a few rungs so at least they kept out the light. Wish I had a camera to post the lopsided results. Anyway, when I opened "the drapes" this morning, I was shocked to find windows so dirty I could hardly see out of them anyway. This is just sad. The rest of the hotel is outdated and ugly. Most of the serivce is pleasant but still oddly demanding giving the circumstances. If it weren't for the fact that I stayed in the JW Mariott in Bogota last month, so I KNOW they can do better, even in Latin America, I would write off this hotel chain forever. The JW Mariott in Bogota is an absolute dream. So why this? I am gussing it is because of the state of the country and the fact that most businesses can't repatriate any profits. I do understand that as my business has the same issue. But still, if you have all of the money stuck in the country why not use it as advertising for the rest of the Mariott chain? Why stick your oldest and most loyal customers, the ones who are in this country through thick and thin - with a bad experience? Fine, don't redecorate. But fiilthy windows (I mean filthy) and falling down drapes are inexcusable at this price. I wouldn't expect that from a two star pension.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank KMNLosAngles
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel is not bad. The pool is somewhat and nice and so are the rooms, but the restaurant has the worst food I have ever had (I'm not kidding). I've tried every single item on the not very extensive menu and some dishes were unedible. I have to stay there for business, but now I never eat there except the breakfast buffet (which is like any other buffet, eggs are hard to mess up). If you stay here DO NOT eat in their restaurant for lunch or dinner- more than disappointed you'll be grossed out.

Room Tip: No spa. Rooms all the way to the top are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Spent two nights there, country in mourning so spent whole time in hotel. The room good and bed excellent. Only one lift worked in my section, other one stuck coincidentally on my floor. The working lift was overworked and frequently doors went into rapid close mode. Several times had to get in the way of the door to prevent elderly people or kids getting hurt. Room service efficient and staff do try to help out with your problems

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Pro: Location, Breakfast, Bar Food.

Cons: Expensive, Outdated.

The staff does try its best with what they have. front desk is a mess with complaints form all over. Across the street they have a bar with some live music. Food is real good and nice music to keep you entertained.

I will be looking at other options on my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Can't think of many things positive about this hotel. It's dated and a complete rip off. Only one restaurant open despite advertising two. Lifts are very noisy and kept me awake all night. Prepaid for the rooms but then told on checkout that the rate had changed and we had to pay about 15% more!!!!! One to avoid in my opinion.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts and a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business