“Food good, the rest doubtfully....”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #16 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed there 6 nights. The bed si good although I was in the oldest room or at the least the old side. TV is not flat, minibar so noisy and the closet small. But among the minibar it is quite slient. But then the problems. Bathroom, old old old. The W.C looks like a public bathroom, the shower/bathtub, the water seems to be clogged but it just takes forever to work ok. Water is hot that is good. The mirrors not in perfect shape. Since the curtain is not plastic, there is a smell always in the room. The carpet also old.

The elevators are slow, it is faster to use stairs even though I was in a sixth floor. And also the service is slow, Saturday I asked to check the shower, no one ever came. Then Sunday I left in the morning and in the afternoon the room was not attended by housekeeper.

Now the bright side. Big yard, pool, the restaurants are excellent. There are taxis outside with fixed rates,

Despite what they say about Venezuela it is not as dangerous as they say.

I'll recommend this for business and small times.

Room Tip: Ask for new facilities
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear canorace,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the elevator and the bathroom conditions have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a Hotel you will make your own opinion however it is very expensive , security is very good but don't go out at night unless it is by car as safety is a major problem especially since the control in Caracas has changed , daytime is OKbut still use taxis for your own safety as thisvisva barrios area, but the food and accommodation are second to none, best of luck if you go, if you decide to,go drop me a line and I will give you more data.

Room Tip: Book early and well,in advance of your travel dates the rooms are all excellent
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mahu463
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear "Mahu463"

Thank you for share yor experience in our Hotel. I am very glad to know that you enjoy be our guest, it is a pleasure give you the options to feel safe and confortable in our instalations. We hope to see you soon back.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel twice (1 night and 2 nights) during my transfers in/around the country for business. The hotel clearly had seen much better days in the past however they are long gone. It did not look like it was maintained or even cleaned at all for the past few years. It might be OK for a "no star" hotel but it is not acceptable for a hotel with 4(?) stars. There is a constant odor (humidity/rust/smoke/other) in the rooms. A/C makes a lot of sound but it does not do anything other than propagating this odor. You can see cut-out ceiling pieces in the hallways probably to fix some piping but left open/forgotten. On a bright side, the pool is good. It does not look very well kept but the water is clean. It is quite big and is a signature of the better times in the past. The grill restaurant is OK, but over priced. The breakfast buffet looks rich but the food is not tasty or high quality as it could be. If you drink tap water, there is a strange taste indicating rust or other contamination but I did not get sick. The hotel is safe which is important in Caracas. The staff is helpful in general but I was denied to check in to the hotel at 2:40 pm since the check-in time was 3:00 pm! This never happened to me before in all my travels around the world. In short, I believe you can find a much better place for all the money you will pay at this hotel which needs major (I mean a "major") renovation. [Note for the hotel staff: please do not write a response to this review apologizing for the shortcomings and trying to fix it electronically. Instead fix your property and services. Thanks!]

Room Tip: Prefer a higher floor with poolside view. It looked like there was some work done at lower floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bassit303
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear "Bassit303"

Thank you for your comments about your stay in our Hotel. We must offer you a apology even when you do not want it, because we accepted that need to improve, and step by step the changes it will be doing. Hope you reconsidered stay hear again to let us know the new experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the InterContinental for 2 months. The staff are friendly, caring and are always trying to make the gueat feel special. The rooms are clean and have good space. Room service is awesome and they deliver on time. The restaurants are good, specially the Pizza's at "La Cabaña". When I had some free time I ask the reception for help and the concierge organized everything! I was very impressed. Overall, its a great hotel, with great staff and great atmosphere. If i have to travel back, I will be staying at thw hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear "Daniel R"

Thank you so much for your review about the experience in our Hotel. I am very glad to know that your stay was good. We hope to see you soon in our Hotel.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas for one-week business trip. In the first day it was clear It was not going to be a pleasant stay: a long queue in the reception, the room had a bad smell of smoke, there were no hot water in the shower and the WiFi was not working. These problems occurred some more times during the week.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lebarion
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear "lebarion"

I offer you a sincere apology for the inconvenience. I recognize that we have some difficults now, but I guarantee that I will take care of this case to improve the service and give you all the experience that you look in a Hotel.

I hope you give another chance to prove that we can offer you a good experience.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel may have had its hey day a while back, but it isn't keeping up with what is really required for the star rating they are claiming and the price they are charging. The rooms are outdated and I had to change rooms as the first one I was assigned smelled really foul. It kind of has an eerie, empty feel to it. The location on the busy street made it a bit difficult to get around nearby restaurants and shopping by foot. Most staff were positive and helpful. The building just isn't all that welcoming. Free wifi was a positive!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jessica C
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear "Jessica C"

Thank you for take a few minutes to let us know about your experience. I offer you a sincere apology and I take care to let the rest to the personal know about it. We are in process to refresh the areas in our Hotel to give to all of our guests the best experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'll give them 4 out of 5, since they have done a very good effort to improve since my last stay, where if available I would give them -10!
They were kind enough to provide me with a real upgrade, which essentially was in good conditions; but really if they are going to improve they need to do the whole improvement and not just part of it.

For a suite (nice upgrade) I think they are missing a couple of essential things:
1. Mirrors! they only have one mirror inside the bathroom, and is on top of the sink and for so, you can't see yourself completely... they have enough space to put more mirrors, even behind the doors.
2. Bathroom ceiling: it has a terrible look, seemed they had a nice idea to put these type of false ceiling glass, but none fits correctly, so all seems crooked and with cracks that let you see the insides.
3. A suite without drinking glasses? yes, well they only had the ones they put for the bathroom, so when you get a drink out of the mini bar there is nothing that you can use to serve it.

On the good part, the room was CLEAN, that one is for me the most important feature, all seemed to work correctly, and again the staff is very good, food is also very good and pricing is correct if compared to most of the Caracas.

Keep improving, the effort is notable!

Thank you.

Room Tip: This trip I was offered a suite, so if you can get a suite, do it since are very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear "rertze"

Thank you so much for take a few minutes of your time to give us the review of your new experience with us. I really appreciate that yo recognize our effort to improve every day to give you the best service that you deserve.

In name of all the staff, I recognize that we need to continue the improvement, and we are really committed in do it. The project going little by little but with all the effort.

Thank you again for your sincere words.