“The Grand Dame of CCS, but seeing its year”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #16 of 85 Hotels in Caracas
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“The Grand Dame of CCS, but seeing its year”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel as a child with my parents in the 1960's. It was the first Interconti in Venezuela and my parents attended the offical opening. ( and I believe the only one left as the others have been taken over by the government.) I am now in my 50s, but have great memories going to the hotel with my father to get a haircut or use the pool every weekend. Yes she does show her years, but on my last visit the floor I stayed on had been renovated. It was very nice.

The front desk has always been very helpful, and the bar staff of the lobby always remember me, even when I have been gone for six months.

The staff has always been great. Some do not speak English, but then one should be able to speak some Spanish or at least try, as I do when I travel to other non-English or Spanish speaking countries and try to know at least some of their language.

Caracas has changed for the worse, so when one is selecting a hotel in the city they need to look at security. There are some fine hotels in the city that may be closer to restaurants, etc. But the Tamanaco is located in a good area,away from all the traffic, with beautiful grounds and excellent security.

She may be showing her age, but it will always be my favorite for its location and so close to excellent restaurantes in Las Mercedes as well as the the campo de golf!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcelo T
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Marcelo.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we comply your expectations. We look foward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fox Island, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Yes, the hotel is undergoing an extensive remodel; however, our room on the 3rd floor was very nice and clean. The staff during check in was helpful and courteous; no issues with the bill. The location is very good (safe) and the property grounds are lovely. We left a package behind and retrieved it the next day, housekeeping had saved it. One has to keep in mind this is a 3rd world country; that said, I'd recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain view. Like many hotels that have outdoor entertaining areas rooms facing them can be noicy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comprenhensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

Beatriz V.
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental.
Quito
Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I checked out, after paying my bill in cash the recepcionist said the voucher I had signed could not be returned because the person who had the keys of the safe was out. When the statement from my credit card came I had the surprise that the bill had been charged again. It took three months, numerous phone calls, letters and the help of friends who lived in Caracas to put pressure on the hotel to solve the problem. I finally got most of my money back (not all of it, since I had to pay the taxes). It was a terrible, infuriating experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Viajerodosmil
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the credit card issue you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our Hotel and I trust we can regain your confidence in our Hotel soon.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your credit card issue.

Beatriz V
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental

Travelers are raving about these Caracas hotels

Strasbourg, France
Reviewed December 9, 2012

this is my worst interconti experience... poor quality of rooms... no concierge service. But the welcoming service was ok. It seems that all the other hotels are in the same service range.
I suggest rooms on the mountain view side. Request rooms after 8th floor.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Avocat_international
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I do appreciate you like the welcoming service. I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay.

I can guarantee you that we are working very hard to improve our Hotel.

We look foward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Beatriz V.
Hotel Tamanaco InteContinental
Weston, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Caracas is a tough place to go to nowadays for security reasons, awful traffic and overall chaos, the trip itself unless you really have to go for work is not recommended at all. This hotel only strivess really hard to make it worst. First, it consistently takes anyone an hour to check-in, last time even with a confirmed reservation they were "not sure they would be able to provide me a room due to high occupancy on Nov23" in their words, but it is slow every time even when they find your reservation. Not exactly what you want to hear after a 5hr long trip. They also discourage the use of Amex cards for some stupid reason... and put a hold for some USD 5000 for a one week stay with a discounted corporate rate, "hotel policy for guarantee" they say, still pretty high considering that even if I broke or damaged everything I saw at this property it would not match the 5K. There is a sign that implies an expedited Check-in for Priority Club platinum members, but hotels clerks do not respect that, you go in line like everyone else. The smell of mold and humidity is also constant in every room I have been to here. Lack of maintenance is also comon, everyday something stopped working: faucet, dryer, the safe, TV, clogged tub. The service is poor in every aspect. The restaurant food is fairly good, especially the sushi considering that leaving the hotel for dinner is generally a bad choice for the abovementioned reasons. If you receive a friend or family member, they need to go on the 1hr+ line to be allowed in your room, and there is a charge too, once I asked them to wait for me in the lobby while I changed, other I asked them to go up without identifying themselves. Intercontinental should be ashamed to let their name be associated with this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you received service and quality which was unacceptable.

We indeed have a problem with American Express cards that does not allows us to use it as a guarantee. I can assure you that we are working with our local bank to fix it. Regarding your PCR status it is regrettable you did not were recognized, your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Assistant Front Office Manager
Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas
miami
Reviewed November 23, 2012

i highly disrecomend that hotel. it took them firstly 25 min to find the reservation on their system. getting to the room one light wasn t working. one of phone either. when i tried to use the safe it was closed. they sent a technician after half hour got to the conclusion that they coudn t fix it. after complaining to the reception only thing they propose was me to change hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Firts of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our Hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We'd like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Caracas.

Assistant Front Office Manager
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2012

When checking in I was discouraged to use my Amex Platinum. Once I talked the front desk into it and finally got my room they neglected to give me a room on the elite club level but instead a filthy room with dirty used band aids still in the bathroom. Rooms were old and dingy. Smell of humidity. I don’t recommend but it seems Caracas is caught up in the early 80s since their last update. I had similar experience at the Gran Melia.

The only positive was their VIP club lounge the service was good there and the staff very helpful; from there on a disappointment.

Room Tip: Get a membership in Priority Club and Intercontinental Amabasador. You dont want to stay in the regu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed our service at the Executive Lounge.

We indeed have a problem with American Express and we are working on finding a solution.

I truly value the bad coments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Assitant Front Office