“They charged me the bill twice”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I checked out, after paying my bill in cash the recepcionist said the voucher I had signed could not be returned because the person who had the keys of the safe was out. When the statement from my credit card came I had the surprise that the bill had been charged again. It took three months, numerous phone calls, letters and the help of friends who lived in Caracas to put pressure on the hotel to solve the problem. I finally got most of my money back (not all of it, since I had to pay the taxes). It was a terrible, infuriating experience!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Viajerodosmil
HotelTamanaco, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the credit card issue you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our Hotel and I trust we can regain your confidence in our Hotel soon.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your credit card issue.

Beatriz V
Guest Relations
Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental

Reviewed December 9, 2012

this is my worst interconti experience... poor quality of rooms... no concierge service. But the welcoming service was ok. It seems that all the other hotels are in the same service range.
I suggest rooms on the mountain view side. Request rooms after 8th floor.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Avocat_international

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I do appreciate you like the welcoming service. I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay.

I can guarantee you that we are working very hard to improve our Hotel.

We look foward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Beatriz V.
Guest Relations
Hotel Tamanaco InteContinental

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Caracas is a tough place to go to nowadays for security reasons, awful traffic and overall chaos, the trip itself unless you really have to go for work is not recommended at all. This hotel only strivess really hard to make it worst. First, it consistently takes anyone an hour to check-in, last time even with a confirmed reservation they were "not sure they would be able to provide me a room due to high occupancy on Nov23" in their words, but it is slow every time even when they find your reservation. Not exactly what you want to hear after a 5hr long trip. They also discourage the use of Amex cards for some stupid reason... and put a hold for some USD 5000 for a one week stay with a discounted corporate rate, "hotel policy for guarantee" they say, still pretty high considering that even if I broke or damaged everything I saw at this property it would not match the 5K. There is a sign that implies an expedited Check-in for Priority Club platinum members, but hotels clerks do not respect that, you go in line like everyone else. The smell of mold and humidity is also constant in every room I have been to here. Lack of maintenance is also comon, everyday something stopped working: faucet, dryer, the safe, TV, clogged tub. The service is poor in every aspect. The restaurant food is fairly good, especially the sushi considering that leaving the hotel for dinner is generally a bad choice for the abovementioned reasons. If you receive a friend or family member, they need to go on the 1hr+ line to be allowed in your room, and there is a charge too, once I asked them to wait for me in the lobby while I changed, other I asked them to go up without identifying themselves. Intercontinental should be ashamed to let their name be associated with this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you received service and quality which was unacceptable.

We indeed have a problem with American Express cards that does not allows us to use it as a guarantee. I can assure you that we are working with our local bank to fix it. Regarding your PCR status it is regrettable you did not were recognized, your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Reviewed November 23, 2012

i highly disrecomend that hotel. it took them firstly 25 min to find the reservation on their system. getting to the room one light wasn t working. one of phone either. when i tried to use the safe it was closed. they sent a technician after half hour got to the conclusion that they coudn t fix it. after complaining to the reception only thing they propose was me to change hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Firts of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our Hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We'd like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Caracas.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

When checking in I was discouraged to use my Amex Platinum. Once I talked the front desk into it and finally got my room they neglected to give me a room on the elite club level but instead a filthy room with dirty used band aids still in the bathroom. Rooms were old and dingy. Smell of humidity. I don’t recommend but it seems Caracas is caught up in the early 80s since their last update. I had similar experience at the Gran Melia.

The only positive was their VIP club lounge the service was good there and the staff very helpful; from there on a disappointment.

Room Tip: Get a membership in Priority Club and Intercontinental Amabasador. You dont want to stay in the regu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed our service at the Executive Lounge.

We indeed have a problem with American Express and we are working on finding a solution.

I truly value the bad coments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Assitant Front Office

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Caracas is a very dangerous place. This fact has to be (for the prudent traveler) very high on the list in selecting lodging. That is why I selected this hotel. Somewhat isolated yet centrally located in the city, both the internal and perimeter security is effective.
I recommend one use the local situation as the baseline for evaluation. This is not Hong Kong.
The hotel facility is, like literally all buildings in the city, beginning to suffer from lack of maintenance and materials availability. Lots of band aids. But what remains is clean and, relative to the surroundings, in much better shape than most.
The kitchen is excellent. However, since there is little international tourist activity the staff is now generally not bilingual and the service logically is diminished yet still adequate. The pool area and other amenities are inviting and provide a welcome respite from the surrounding chaos.

Room Tip: arrange for a non streetside room.
3  Thank parafrog

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particulary appreciative about your comments about our hotel. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I stay at this hotel. I purchase the "Ambassador Package" every year and try to use Inter hotels. First time at this hotel was 3 years ago and got an old, moist smelling room that literally vibrated when the elevator passed by the floor. Made a huge complaint at the time. Stayed here again since the security show I was attending was also at this premise.
In short: 50 yr old hotel with little renovation. If you must, then ask for the 3rd floor which is renovated. They claim to be a 5 star hotel. Looks more like 4. Orange juice not included in the breakfast buffet. Elevators are slow and 1 out of 3 usually broken. Internet connection is crappy, when available. Finally, when in Venezuela change your dollars at the airport (you'll be approached!) so you can use Bolivares to pay for EVERYTHING. This is the cheapiest way to move around. Exchange rate this month was $12 Bolivares per us$1.

• Stayed: October 2012
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your review and for being so detailed in our opportunities to improve, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer.

Regarding our WIFI conecction, we did indeed have a problem that took a couple of days to complete repair. Our elevators definitely can be slower during big events due to our high business guest and we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give a feedback.