“Not deserving the brand”

InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Prague, Czech Republic
“Not deserving the brand”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don´t mind the 1970´s architecture of the hotel, as long as its location is less than five minutes from the place I need to go. Neither do I mind somewhat outdated furniture, a little tired bathroom fittings nor obsolete aircon controls; as long as the aircon is reasonably quiet and the bed is comfy, promising a good sleep. What I do mind however is absolutely erratic functioning of the internet. Not outright slow, but constantly failing to connect and forcing me to go working in the lobby on both evenings of my stay. What I do mind even more is mildew in the shower. On executive floor, mind you. Add to this constant outdoor noise if your room faces the city, loose bathroom door banging whenever aircon is turned on, and above all, price nearing 400,-USD if using official rate (i.e. whenever using a foreign card and not black-market cash). So lower you expectations, don´t expect worldwide Intercontinental standard, watch your value and your step in the bathroom, get a pair of earplugs and you might not be disappointed after all.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms in range x01-x23 probably get least outdoor noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Martinzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Noord, Aruba
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My daughter was ungoing some surgery and we used the Tamanaco resort before surgery and for a day after surgery. There was some comunication problems with the Surgens office and the resort. I needed to make sure that our reservations were still good and that our room would be there. I witness Mr. Luis Henao helping several guest in a very timely manor. When it was my turn, I explained the message that I received from the surgens office reporting that my room had been vacated. Mr. Luis Henao understood my situation and immediately looked up the records and I was able to resolve the issue with out me or my family having to go through any stress.

My sincere thank you and best wishes for Mr. Luis Henao of the Tamanaco InterContinental resort in Caracas.
Emmit Kimble

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HotelTamanaco, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Luis Henao. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing IHG & Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas

Alejandro M
Assistant Front Office Manager
Tamanaco InterContinental Caracas
Redwood City, California
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The facilities are run down. The gym is super small and does not have a bathroom or water fountain. The Internet is very slow and the hotel is understaffed. The breakast is solid but the hotel does not worth what you pay. I would recommend to stay at the embassy suits or euro building

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank rwurbina
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear rwurbina,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology about the fitness center and the slow internet connectivity. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Caracas hotels

Budapest
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I hate getting into the city, and the city itself is not much to look at but it's always a pleasure (and a relief) to drive up that driveway that leads to the Tamanaco's main entrance. It's a world of its own: it is one of THE landmarks in Caracas; it has awesome restaurants (fancy French if you're loaded, semi-outdoors pizza and local dishes by the pool, and truly, believe me, truly delicious and super-fresh sushi on the terrace); a well-kept pool, which locals too visit, especially on the weekends; tennis courts... all in all, if you're not on business like me, there's plenty to do in the hotel. I started my stay on the third floor in a freshly renovated room - cool hues and a disciplined contemporary style - but then I asked for a move to a higher floor because I do like, well, love the view over the mountains, and spotting the Humboldt when it emerges from the clouds. Yes, this room was half-renovated but clean, with a flat-screen TV, comp wi-fi (also available by the pool), and comfortably oversized. A lot of people, like me, are put off by Caracas and its (un)safety record... the nabe around the hotels has some of the best restaurants in the world... seriously, Caracas offers world-class food and you're right there. I met friends in other hotels in Caracas, and all in all, I am happier with my InterConti neighbourhood and the fact that I stayed in an icon, which for the most part delivers its features like an icon.

Room Tip: Third floor if you want a 100% new room, higher floors if you want a view. You'll be equally com...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been many times to Caracas, love the place and its people, the Tamanaco sure used to be an Icon in the city but the property needs badly a makeover. The security and restaurants staff are very friendly, their colleagues at the reception often less so. The pool is very wel kept and the location is excelent.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms offer the best views but are the smallest
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tamanaco Caracas, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear DRL_AR,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We are delight to hear your wonderful comment regarding our hotel staff.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology that your stay was not 100% satisfactory in regards to our property itself. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've stayed at the Intercontinental many times, always a pretty good stay. The hotel is a bit aged but overall well kept. However since the financial situation has declined in Caracas, seems that the prices have risen, though listed as a 5 star hotel if you compare with say 5 stars in Asia (4 Seasons Bangkok) this hotel at best is a 3 star maybe 4 star giving credit to the beautiful setting, however prices at nearly $400 a night are way out of line. I stay here only because I have access to cheap (re: Blackmarket) bolivars so as price is converted to bolivars at official exchange rate, the actual price drops in half for me but even then at $200/night roughly, still a bit overpriced (would consider this to be fairly priced at about $150 a night).

Room Tip: Generally a big improvement staying in the "Club Rooms" on the top two floors.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This would be my 3rd and 4th stay at the Tamanaco. And last.
Where to start...
Let's start with the canceled flight to CCS, shall we?
So I ask my travel agent to contact the Intercontinental to inform them that I won't be getting in that night, but I would like a room for the following night.3 hours of trying to get someone to answer the phone, return an email or respond to faxes proved fruitless.
Naturally, I was billed the full fare for the room, and no room was waiting for me when I arrived the following night. So I stayed at the Marriott Playa Grande (best move ever!).

However, I had already made reservations for another 3-day stay at the Tamanaco later in the week....so I find myself standing in the Tamanaco's beautiful lobby once again, waiting to see if I can check in on the 8th floor (Platinum)....and waiting...and waiting...
Plan on waiting 15 minutes for each person in front of you in line in the lobby, and that's IF nothing goes astray with their check-in. 30 minutes later, I am told I can proceed to the 8th floor for my expedited check in. (nothing unusual there...this has been the standard every other time I've checked in here).

8th floor is the lovely executive check-in lounge. Staff is curteous and efficient. Windows overlook the beautiful pool and truely excellent outdoor bar and restaurant. Unfortunately, I can't sleep poolside; I need a room.

And I'm given one. Welcome, my friends, to 1975. It's hard to add to what's already been said. If you don't get one of the updated rooms on the 3rd floor, you will get a room that Hugo Chavez may have been conceived in many years ago, and hasn't so much as received a coat of paint since. I ask the person who checked me in if a better room is available, since I will be staying for 3-4 days. I was informed that I should have asked for an upgrade when I made the reservation! Okay....but I'm here now, sitting in front of you, can you see if anything nicer is available. "I'm sorry, you should have requested an upgrade when you made a reservation."

okay....let's just drop the upgrade. What about the night I tried to call the hotel and inform you that my flight was cancelled. Can I speak with someone about that? "Oh yes, the manager will be in in just a few minutes and I will have him call you."

2 hours later...

"About that manager, is he available yet?"
"Oh yes sir. He will call you in just a few minutes."

3 days later...nevermind.

On the plus side...the waitstaff at both the bar, rastaurant and room service were excellent. The food was excellent. The beer, was horrible, but that's sort of a Venezuelan tradition. Socialism does not produce good beer.

The gunfire on the hotel grounds at 4:05 in the morning was unnecessary excitement. At least it was outside the hotel. So I'll say that's a plus.

Pinched for time right now, so let me summarize: Stay at the JW Marriott 2km away.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor BEFORE you arrive.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business