“Comfort after hard days outside”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caracas
Posada Altamira Caceres
Ranked #49 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at the Altamira Hotel during June and July 2010.
I have been treated by the personel extremely well. My suite was comfortable, clean and just a bit worn. But one has to understand the dificulties in these countries to maintain high standards. The people at the Altanira do what they can and I admire them for that.
Should I ever have to return to Caracas, the Altamira will be my refuge from the outside there.
Friedrich Niemann
Almuñecar Spain

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Friedrich999
There are newer reviews for Posada Altamira Caceres

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I checked into the hotel because nothing else was available due to a convention. THe hotel is basic and clean (they use a lot of bleach so keep this in mind if you are sensitive to it). The hotel has a bit of a prison feel to it because you enter through caged gates. It has WiFi which works flawlessly. TO get a remote for the TV, you have to leave a deposit. Bed is comfy!

Overall, I would choose the Hotel LaFlorista up the steet. It is less expensive and my room had a balcony. Hotel Montserrat looked quite nice too but it is a little more expensive. Hotel Altamira is my third choice in this neighborhood.

The neighborhood is good but always be wary at night in Caracas wherever you are. I haven't had any problems in the day or night but when no one is walking on the street at night, it is time to head back to the hotel or get in taxi.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank 04274108
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed two nights in the hotel and for the price it wasnt that bad.
I paid 280 fuertes per night, and as far as my research go there are not that many options for a reasonable hotel in this price class in a safe and central area of Caracas.

The service is not very good, they dont smile, they dont say hi, but these days my expectations for Venezuela service levels are rock bottom. Venezuelans in hotels and restaurants are in general not that friendly. Its different if you meet educated venezuelans when you are going out to the clubs. Thats a different story.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2010

Stayed in the Altamira Hotel on both the outward and return journeys through Caracas because we had pre-booked. Arrived late on New Year's day to the utter indifference of the male night receptionist whom I suspect would need to be surgically removed from his mobile phone before he would even consider making eye contact or raising his level of assistance above morose monosyllabism. The room was basic but clean and the shower efficient. However, at $85 per night I had expected a little better. Next day we asked if they had a map of the city but were told no by the female day receptionist who at least put her phone down and managed a sentence or two. Nevertheless, the verbal directions she gave turned out to be wrong.
On the return journey we again arrived in the evening to enjoy exactly the same level of service from the male. This time the room was smaller, dirtier and had a connecting door to the adjoining room where the occupant had his TV on full blast. Immediately asked to have another room and the receptionist exchanged keys without speaking. This room was also below the standard of our outward journey room but at least it was quiet. There was no hot water to be had either that evening or the following morning.
We asked the female day receptionist how much a taxi to the airport would cost and she gave us a figure that turned out to be wrong yet again as the driver asked for 15% more.
Some reviews of this hotel say you get what you pay for but sadly I cannot agree. As an experienced traveller I've stayed in far better for much less.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Juscott
Reviewed October 22, 2009

We arrived one late sunday evening after a longer journey from Caracas airport. The reception staff were pretty nonchalant about us and offered us a room at $130 a night, much higher than we were expecting. As we had no choice we stayed, it felt pretty grubby and very dated in it´s decor. The noise from a neighbours TV kept us awake all night. We left early the next day and plan never to return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlynnyLondon
Reviewed November 9, 2008

This is a budget hotel. So that's what you get. My experience...

Friendly staff.
Price was what I had been quoted.
Room ws clean with good AC and TV (no remote)
I arrived one day late and was not charged for being late, which was a nice surprise.
The area is in the Chacao district of Caracas, which is relatively safe. A short walk east along Francisco de Miranda will lead to good places to eat, shopping centers.
A beautiful park and cultural center called La Estancia is right next door. A nice place to chill out. I took a free yoga class with about 300 people at night under the palms and the moon. Pretty cool.

Negatives of the hotel.
1. There is a No visitors policy. So if you meet a new friend... don't expect to take them back to your room. Definite negative for us solo travelers.
2. Lots of noise from the street. Constant car horns. But I also experienced this in the much more expensive Mariott. Caracas residents seem to truly believe that constantly honking their horns will improve their plight.
Area nice with food not far

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I booked through hostelworld.com. The rate on the website was $40 per person per night. My fiancee checked in earlier though and got a rate of $155 BF per night for the two of us. So exchanging dollars at 4:1 it worked out to a little less than US$40 per night for the both of us. She did pay that one night in advance but we did not pay again until we we into our third of four nights there.

In contrast to other reviewers, there are double beds, at least we had one in room 705 which had a nice view from the balcony/terrace. The furnishings of the room were sparse, a chair would have been nice. The room and bath were both very clean and the maids did a good job daily. The shower was very small but did have plenty of very ho water. The windows in the bath were the slat type and a few were broken and I was worried about mosquitoes so we tried to keep the door shut but I suppose it was not a problem being on the seventh floor.

They never did have any room in the safe in the office during the four days we were there so we did leave cell phones in our room by necessity a couple days with no problems.

The two guys who worked the the front desk were not overly friendly but were efficient and could be reached by telephone.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Sambil shopping center and maybe 5 from the Aeroxpressos Ejecutivos bus station. It is also two blocks from the Canadian Embassy and the Metro Station. To the American Embassy it is about a 15 minute cab ride.

We felt completely safe walking home from Sambil after dark.

Stayed: March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caracas
Las Quince Letras Hotel
Hotel Chacao Cumberland
#24 of 86 in Caracas
Costa Real Suites
#1 of 1 in La Guaira

Been to Posada Altamira Caceres? Share your experiences!