“Very helpful staff on the front desk”

Hotel The VIP Caracas
Ranked #16 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Melbourne
“Very helpful staff on the front desk”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived late at night with no luggage as it had been lost by the airline. Hotel was fantastic in getting what clothes I had on my back washed and pressed for me for an early departure the following morning. I needed cash and they escorted me to an ATM machine nearby to ensure my safety. When i arrived back for another night 2 days later they had safely stored it for me with no issues. Hotel was located in a good residential area and the room was fine. It was their willingness to assist me that really stood out.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cocobond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is situated in the Altamira area, surrounded by good restaurants and a metro connection. The area ranks as one of the 'safest' in Caracas. This is a great business hotel. The connection to central downtown by subway is about 35 mins door to door.

The hotel has the features expected for the business traveler and the room sizes are generous. Internet was initially patchy but a LAN cable restored continuity. My staff encounters were mixed. For example, the front desk were in the main helpful, the food from the kitchen exceptionally tasty, but the front of house in the restaurant were slow and nonchalant, presenting on one occasion a bill for food overcharging me. No apology for the error. This also occurred when I left the hotel, I was overcharged for the sundries by $circa $250 Bs.

Overall a good hotel but watch what they charge you carefully.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank FredWatson
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I came here in October 2011 for business travel so I can't really talk about the value, since I didn't pay for it.

The hotel is a relatively new construct in the nice neighbourhood of Altamira. I stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed them greatly. The hallways look pretty run down and sketchy but the rooms themselves are great. The morning breakfast, especially from a North American POV was ample and impressive. Great fruit, pastries, and shredded meat that was really excellent. I ate at the restaurant for dinner one night (a lovely spot, apparently a popular destination on its own) and it was very tasty. The carpaccio was particularly yummy though the Cuba Libres left something to be desired ;)

The bed was very comfortable, with lots of pillows. The internet was consistent enough that I was able to skype with my family back home without any problem. The shower is large with good water pressure (though there's no door separating the bathroom from the rest of the place, which is a bit odd...) and they come with lots of goodies (vanity kits, sewing kits, shower caps, etc.). TV is flat-screen and large, iPod docking station came in handy, nice little balcony to sit on and listen to the street noise below and enjoy a view of Avila.

I don't speak Spanish but there was usually someone on hand who could help me muddle through questions and that was very appreciated. They even sent a doorman with me when I wanted to get a snack from a local pharmacy (Caracas can still be a very dangerous place, even in a nice spot like Altamira). The cleaning staff was very sweet, stacking my change on my desk and even tucking my stuffed animal in with my robe and slippers (yes, I bring a stuffed animal with me - wanna fight? ;) )

Was able to take a lovely walk in the morning to my work at the Embassy. All in all, a great stay in a nice, modern hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank LowLevelRebel
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I would definitely have liked to stay longer. It was our first stop on a 4 weeks journey and the first time I have ever been in Venezuela and I felt immediately at home at the VIP. Our room was very spacious, with two balconies, one with great views of the Avila mountain. The breakfast buffet was delicious, with a lot of fresh "exotic" fruits and juices and strong cafe con leche. The restaurant serves good quality food and there is a big outside seating area in the garden of the hotel. Also, there is a well equipped bar. To visit Caracas, the hotel offers to organize a limousine service (driver takes you to different spots and waits for you there). It is not cheap but affordable. However, the neighborhood of the hotel us very good for strolling and there is a metro stop close by with a metro line taking you, among others, to plaza bolivar. In the evening, there are plenty of good restaurants and bars close by, some of them within walking distance. Last but not least, the hotel staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank goiabinha
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I can't for the life of me figure out what other reviewers like about this hotel. If it were HOTEL EVERYMAN, then I would say it's about average. Relaxed atmosphere, spacious rooms, located in one of the only pleasant parts of the city and with a quite a good breakfast. (The hotel restaurant is a destination in its own right.)

But this is not Everyman, it's VIP, with the price point to match. On that score, it's simply awful. OK, it's a boutique hotel, so no pool and no concierge. Sure. But no workout room? Not even a lousy treadmill in the basement? No comfortable place to relax? A view of a brick wall, a toilet that runs, a closet about 1m by 1.5m, those tiny ironing boards you find a cheaper hotels, a small room service menu, bad lighting, a crummy bathroom ...?

The night before i checked out, I asked the hotel to arrange an early morning taxi to the airport and was told it would be 290Bs. OK, I knew that was probably double the market rate, but I felt lazy and agreed. When they gave me my bill, I noticed a 25% "commission" on the taxi fare. I kicked up a fuss and they removed it, but it is this kind of dirty trick on a guest who is checking out, bleary-eyed at 5am that earns a hotel a permanent black mark in my book.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Kippendavie
New York
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much at the VIP Caracas. The staff was very helpful and always willing to help us out. The rooms were very nice and spacious. The internet was a little spotty, but generally worked. Room service was available until about 10pm and was really quite delicious. Breakfast is included in the rate and consists of lots of fresh fruit and a small buffet. The showers had incredible water pressure, but didn't stay hot for a long time (especially for somebody who tends to linger in the shower like me). The hotel was in a great area!

Room Tip: They mentioned that some rooms have better internet access, so if that's important to you, be su...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Erica K
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is definitely one of the best hotels in Caracas. It is located in Altamira, one of the nicest and safest neighborhoods on the East of the city. The zone is pretty centric filled with plenty of lunch, dinning and nightlife options all around Altamira and minutes away from Los Palos Grandes and Las Mercedes which are other great options to eat and have fun.

The hotel is impeccable, the common areas are squeaky clean, the staff is polite and helpful, the restaurant is well known around the area for its great quality and service, there is a bar and a few computers with Internet access in the lobby, and it is a short walk away from the Altamira subway station.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, I stayed in an Executive room on the fifth floor, the room amenities are top notch; a flat screen TV with cable, two large closets for all your storage needs, a mini fridge, a working table, an iPod dock, a safe box, an electric iron, and AC. The lighting in the room was excellent as well.

The king size bed was just heaven, the pillows and the lining were fluffy and soft, really really good stuff, woke up in the morning feeling brand new. The only thing on the down side of an otherwise superb hotel was the breakfast buffet, I went to eat at around 9 am and there were some dishes at the bar like the bacon, eggs, and ham that were almost out and never were refilled, I was not going to scrape the container for some eggs and was very disappointed to see that more were not served, not what you would expect at this kind of hotel even on low holiday seasons.

Considering that the number of good 4 to 5 star hotels in Caracas is really limited this hotel is truly a gem, I would definitely recommend this hotel to any traveler looking for a great place to stay during their vacation or business trip who can afford it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple