“Fair hotel in Caracas”

Renaissance Caracas La Castellana Hotel
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are ok but noisy. Hotel is clean. Restaurant is to be improved. Neighborhood is what it... Location is quite central. Staff is friendly! Gold member lobby is to be improved (no big choose of food and drink - breakfast is perfect though!). I would go back if imposed but would prefer to try/experiment another one.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 18, 2013

As other reviewers have noted, the Renaissance hotel is in Altamira, one of the safest neighborhoods in Caracas. And while I wouldn't walk alone at night, it seemed safe enough when I was walking with one or two others. I arrived very early in the morning. I had booked a room for the night before to ensure that I had a place to rest after my overnight flight and made it clear in the reservation that I was going to arrive in the morning. That detail apparently got lost and I was listed as a no-show. However, the front desk staff was very accommodating and I was given a room right away. The room was fine. Nothing fancy but it was clean, everything worked well, and the bed was very comfortable. As a Marriott Gold Elite member, I had access to the Executive Club. Great hors d'oeuvres in the evening, fantastic breakfast, extremely friendly staff. Only downside was the cost for a glass of wine - about $30 per glass - ouch! Gym and pool area very nice - good view of city and mountains. My only complaint is that the hotel restaurant has limited options. Also, I had to wait far too long for a lunch order and was nearly late for my afternoon meetings (I was told it was coming in 2 minutes for about 15 minutes). But overall, the hotel was a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gwynne1
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went to Caracas for a wedding and we were told how dangerous that city was. When we arrived, we found we were staying in one of the safest neighborhoods. There are several good restaurants, a big shopping center and a McDonald's at walking distance, feeling you're safe most of the time. The hotel is brand new, with american or european highest standards of service and quality. Nice bar with DJ in the main floor. Annoying knocking on the doors from room service at 8:30am. Make sure you place the "I want to sleep" tag on your door. Excellent pick overall.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The last time I was in Caracas, I decided to give a chance to this hotel in the Marriott chain, at first I was not sure, because I had already been to a Marriott in Caracas, specifically at the JW of El Rosal and it was quite disappointing. Taking into account the fact that Caracas is a city, mostly, truly unsafe. This hotel is located in one of the privileged areas of the city, where you can relax a little. The hotel has a nice structure to the naked eye, the staff is attentive, both the rooms and the hotel inside and out is kept clean. The meeting rooms have good capacity and excellent distribution of space, the pool area is nice, the view from the hotel to the mountains is relaxing in the chaos of a city like Caracas. The hotel is ideal for events, business travelers and weekend getaways.

1  Thank Lmontag
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a horrible property, and not deserving of the Marriott flag. The staff will tell you one thing and then do another. I would not trust this hotel at all; you would be better off at the Embassy Suites, the Lido Hotel or the InterCOntinental.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights, and everything was amazing. The staff are very friendly and professional. Make sure you try their coffee downstairs in the Lobby.. they make beautiful artsy shapes in your coffee. The rooms are very clean, and modern. The bed feels like a tempura pedic. The room service is very fast, they say they'll be there in 45 minutes but they really take 15 to 20 minutes. The Venezuelan eggs benedict where incredible. Also, the location is perfect because everything is close by. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here on my next trip.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 23rd floor and had an amazing view of the city. I would recommend them to stay in a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well... It's important to be Honest up front: I Do avoid Caracas at all cost! And I'm from Venezuela and only people from here could understand how difficult is to offer great service here.. That being said, when I HAVE to go to Caracas I really appreciate that the Marriott people have the courage (could write a stronger word here) to make business down here and offer this haven. Is the best property overall in the country, still fresh and clean, Great rooms, Kohler bathroom fixtures and the best equipped gym I've seen in a long time (brand new Lifefitness new series). The front desk personnel in my case was really courteous and professional (yes! it's the exception here! and I expect a few of my "Compatriotas" to disagree with this statement while deep inside, outside the Patriotic stuff they are well aware of the decline of the overall service quality in our country). Haven't eat there yet but I do visited the Leaf Lounge bar and it's beautiful, with great ambiance, one of the best lounges i've ever been in Venezuela actually. Be advised that the internet is only free for Gold and Plat. Elites. As other reviewers have noted the location is the best you could get, one of the best districts in Caracas with most of the best restaurants at close distance from the Hotel. One of the very little options in Caracas were you can really go for a walk. This and the LIDOTEL in Margarita are the only hotels I can stay (an make a review of) in Venezuela. There is the neverending currency control issue (like we are back in the Communist 60's), now they make you sure yo CAN'T Get the regular web-page rates (averaging the 300's - 400's) to pay later in Bs. (VEF), so if you want a non-prepaid rate you have to call and get a minimun 600$ rate to be able to pay at the official exchange rate at the desk.. But well!.. You people know what I'm talking about. This goes really outside the scope of this review and even of human logic.. So I keep using this hotel even if I have to pay the "theorical" 600$.

1  Thank Panama T