See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 14, 2014

I stayed at Nelson's Place for four nights in October 2014. It was an excellent experience and his delightful family is continuing to help me navigate the city of Caracas. If you are heading to the city, you should definitely stay here.

Venezuelans, particularly those residing abroad, tend to paint a very bleak picture of their home country. This made me wary of visiting Caracas. While it would be untrue to say the city is without its problems (there are parts which you just shouldn't visit and many more that you shouldn't go to after dark) it is not nearly as bad as it is portrayed. It is much more modern and developed than you would think (and in a really cool, retro way), politics does not penetrate everyday life and the shortages, at least in Caracas at present, are barely noticeable. For example, when I went to the supermarket, the only thing I couldn't find was milk but I could get it in my coffee, which cost about 50 cents. That's the other important thing about Caracas: it is the cheapest place I have ever been to - cheaper than many of the less-developed, but similarly beautiful Asian countries I have frequented and much cheaper than its neighbours - and this means you can afford to buy pretty much anything you need. A metro ticket is 2 cents, a taxi is never more than a few bucks and food is always cheap. At the moment, international flights are incredibly expensive though so sort your way in and out before you come.

This being said, I think my seamless experience has been entirely thanks to Nelson. He organised a driver for me from Caracas airport (which isn't physically dangerous inside the terminal but full of sketchy people who you should definitely not exchange currency with or get a taxi from), he helped me navigate the various issues that are peculiar to Caracas and advised me on how to keep a low profile. I've gone all around this beautiful city without a single issue and I've enjoyed every minute of it thanks to his regular advice. Venezuelans are generally really helpful and the city really is marvellous. It's got a cool but tropical climate, the architecture is amazing because it was the Dubai of the 1950s and 60s and the mountains at the edge of the city are incredible. I would recommend Nelson's Place and a visit to Caracas without hesitation.

Room Tip: Nelson upgraded me for free to the self-contained apartment. It was really nice, safe/ behind the same locked gate as Nelson and his parents and would be excellent value if you were paying full price.
  • Stayed: October 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank OliverLevingston
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I had always been very wary about going to Venezuela after hearing and reading about the high crime rates in Caracas. In fact, I was advised from Venezuelan friends not to go to Caracas. Fortunately, I chanced upon Nelson's website and with the help of Nelson, I had a wonderful time in Venezuela.

I must clarify that I did not stay at Nelson's Place because my trip to Venezuela was mainly to go to Angel Falls. However, I had a few hours in Caracas between my flight into Caracas and my overnight bus to Ciudad Bolivar. Nelson was kind enough to allow me to freshen up at Nelson's Place. I saw the rooms he offered and they were very comfortable and cosy. He also allowed me to keep my luggage at his place with no extra charges.

I must also add that Nelson's Place has an excellent location. It is within 1 block from Sabana Grande which is the major shopping street of Caracas. There is also a big mall right across the street from Nelson's Place so there are so many eating options. The subway station is less than 5 minutes' walk so you can get to almost anywhere in Caracas.

I had a tight schedule in Venezuela but Nelson helped to organize everything for me very efficiently- from airport transfers to bus tickets. At the bus station where I was to take the bus to Ciudad Bolivar, he went the extra mile of asking the passenger next to me to take care of me as I did not speak any Spanish. The passenger kindly agreed to tell me when to get off the bus. That was definitely very helpful!

In the 12 hours that I had in Caracas, I managed to do some sightseeing. Nelson provided extremely useful advice on which areas to avoid and gave me some tips on how not to be an easy target for pickpockets. I had a great time in Caracas and did not feel unsafe at any time.

I am extremely grateful to Nelson for arranging my tours. I had a great time in Venezuela and all credits go to him.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank hotspot78
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Perhaps what impressed me the most was Nelsons genuine willingness to help make your stay even better. During my stay Nelson didn't mind give up his time to give me insightful information and general tips, it´s evident he knows what he is talking about and he is a great host.
In the rooms you enjoy privacy, tidiness and security. I noticed trip advisor awarded the hotel 2012 or 2013, definitely well earned. Couldn't have run it better myself!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Alexander1232013
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Although we didn´t stay at Nelson´s Place, he booked us in to another local hotel and picked us up from the airport. He also brought currency for us at a good rate and said that as long as we were in Venezuela, he would help us out. If you want an organised, positive start to your trip in Venezuela (and for as long as you´re there), contact Nelson. His website is hilarious but honest and he is not crazy! He is experienced and no nonsense. Highly recommended. Thanks Nelson!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hi, I didn't stay in Nelson's place because it was full up but Nelson was very helpful in setting us up with an alternative hotel (La Floresta, which was perfectly fine for a night and in the most safe area according to all accounts) and gave up loads of time to discuss, advise and organise a trip to Angel Falls with us. A thoroughly good guy, lots of fun, and although it would be cheaper to find a hotel yourself and pay once you arrive it was brilliant peace of mind to have nelson looking out for us. He kept in contact throughout the trip and seemed genuinely keen to help wherever possible.
Thanks nels!

Room Tip: nb we stayed in Hotel la Floresta, not Nelson's Place but he helped us out hugely
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple