“Wants be a boutique hotel when it grows up...”
Review of The Hotel Caracas

The Hotel Caracas
Ranked #63 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was worried when my company put me here after seeing such demonizing reviews but after 10 days as a guest here is the balance score card:

ROOM

spacious and shower has good pressure, dcoration also acceptable, kinky mirror placement but this used to be a vertical motel before so there... Also, not enough closet space or even drawes for that matter.

TV is old so must change it but lots of channels there, freege is filled.

Wifi works fine but bring your soap and shampoo, this one is crappy.

SERVICE

All service in Caracas is questionable and here is no different but I found out this week they respond better with tips ($) Who knew!! Think NY without tips and see how nice you will be treated. Same here but Here 10 bolivars will go far.

Room service is Ok and also breakfast but you get expresos for no extra charge.

A big "-" is that on Sat and Sunday, the room service is flaky or non existent.

LOCATION

La rosal is in Chacao, best and safest county in VNZ so that is a plus. The Cafe Gourmt down 300 feet is awesome and worth checking out anytIme of the day or evening. Parque del leste is 3Km away soa taxi should cost about $5 or 35 minutes warmup walk, opens at 5:30 am so go run there.

Room Tip: Roms ending with 8 are best b/c they are away from the noise in the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Hotel structure is very poor.
- Phone lines and internet NEVER working well.
- Didnot received my phone messages left with front desk people.
- After the first night, I had to change the room: the floor was dirty, long hairs inside the towels ( should be new towels) and too much noise ..
- Breakfast poor and the waiters use to take too long to replace the foods.Long time waiting!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Arrived early 9:30am was told we could not check in early because hotel check in time was at 3:00pm so we had to walk about town until.
There was a serious lack in reception where the individual did not care to welcome the guest. The worst was the room with its glass toilet no privacy as i was with my friend just on a weekend trip I had to have him leave the room until I was finished. The safe in the room does not work and items in the mini bar are very much over priced. I wanted the service of a concierge dispite having a desk he or she was never there. No service, I asked for a map of the city only to be told that they do not have any, I walked over to the Marriott where I was handed one and given advice on things to see and do in an instant.

Room Tip: just do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Perhaps my expectation was set really low after reading these dismal reviews. Quick points:

1) Room quality: I booked a standard room. It was fine. The bed was actually quite comfortable. No I didn't go over it with a black light. But the mattress was great. We had A/C but didn't use it, the weather was great. Overall the room was a bit small, but manageable for a night or two. We had a fully stocked mini-bar, lots of English channels (including Bloomberg for business guys), and in-room Internet.

2) Connectivity. Internet was great. Skype called with no problems.

3) Breakfast. Just fine. Some fruit, some arepas, a few pastries, etc.

4) Gym. Man I haven't seen a bowflex in years. But it was pretty cool. Some dumbbells, a treadmill too.

5) Location. Good. Easy to find, the taxi driver knew exactly where it was. About a block from the JW Marriott. It's about 20-30 minutes to the airport in so-so traffic.

6) Service. This was my only negative. It wasn't bad... just a little bit slow and bureaucratic. The people are nice, but they stick to procedure. Viva la revolucion.

7) Price/value. I think I paid under $200. Given the market rate in the area, this seemed a bit underpriced, so I was happy with the experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jomo m
Reviewed September 29, 2011

All around bad. Nothing major but many small things that just bug you.... especially for 195USD a night.

One night stay gave me the following observations:

- when I arrived I was told there were no rooms. I went on Expedia.com and booked it and they "let me in but were "upset at me for doing it and told me I should not do it like that". Not a good start.

- Room was not "finished".... furniture damaged, many light switches that dont work, paint on walls where it shoudlnt be. No big deal just not a feeling of attention to details.

- in room safe does not work

- Ordered room service but there was no menu in the room. I had to guess.

- room service showed up without a tray... so had to carry each item in. Food was not good.

- Lack of respect for guests.... the hotel was doing construction with a lot of noise until 1:15am. When I asked at midnight they said "only 30 mins more sir". crazy.

- Shower water spills out onto the floor.

- I needed to pay cash for room service... couldnt charge to room as they are "separate".

- No wifi in room

- A friend visited and they did not notify me when she asked them. She was waiting in lobby until I decided to see if she had arrived.

All in all a general lack of service and details.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Try Eurobuilding (it still has its service issues but better).
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Darryl S
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I do not even know where to begin, this is the worst hotel I have stayed. The website is great but it's certainly a complete fraud, what is advertised on the website is totally different to what I got to go. The attention is terrible, breakfast just want to vomit, no hot water, and the receptionists were rude to us, would never recommend this hotal and the worst is that it is costly

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed July 24, 2011

No privacy in the rooms. As soon as you open the door, the first thing you see through a glass window is the toilet and the shower, also and very important, breakfast was not included. There was no room service and if you wanted the waiter to see you, you must use smoke signals

• Stayed: July 2011