“Stay away”
Review of The Hotel Caracas

The Hotel Caracas
Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in Caracas
Reviewed September 29, 2011

All around bad. Nothing major but many small things that just bug you.... especially for 195USD a night.

One night stay gave me the following observations:

- when I arrived I was told there were no rooms. I went on Expedia.com and booked it and they "let me in but were "upset at me for doing it and told me I should not do it like that". Not a good start.

- Room was not "finished".... furniture damaged, many light switches that dont work, paint on walls where it shoudlnt be. No big deal just not a feeling of attention to details.

- in room safe does not work

- Ordered room service but there was no menu in the room. I had to guess.

- room service showed up without a tray... so had to carry each item in. Food was not good.

- Lack of respect for guests.... the hotel was doing construction with a lot of noise until 1:15am. When I asked at midnight they said "only 30 mins more sir". crazy.

- Shower water spills out onto the floor.

- I needed to pay cash for room service... couldnt charge to room as they are "separate".

- No wifi in room

- A friend visited and they did not notify me when she asked them. She was waiting in lobby until I decided to see if she had arrived.

All in all a general lack of service and details.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Try Eurobuilding (it still has its service issues but better).
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Darryl S

Reviewed September 7, 2011

I do not even know where to begin, this is the worst hotel I have stayed. The website is great but it's certainly a complete fraud, what is advertised on the website is totally different to what I got to go. The attention is terrible, breakfast just want to vomit, no hot water, and the receptionists were rude to us, would never recommend this hotal and the worst is that it is costly

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed July 24, 2011

No privacy in the rooms. As soon as you open the door, the first thing you see through a glass window is the toilet and the shower, also and very important, breakfast was not included. There was no room service and if you wanted the waiter to see you, you must use smoke signals

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Teo R
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have never complained in a hotel as much as I did when I stayed here.
They tell you nothing, you discover everything yourself.
for example:
- Wifi password - up to you to find out
- that your card key has to be re-authorised every day - on the second day after not being able to use the lift again I had to ask, do I have to do this every day?
- that the bar/restaurant/breakfast room isn't really part of the hotel and charges separately - found out after having breakfast and not being able to charge to my room
- that the room safe most likely doesn't work, 2 rooms later...
- that some rooms have double glazing others don't, 2 rooms later
- the remote control batteries are the wrong ones and even when you have the right ones you still need to hold your hand high in the air to change a channel
- the jacuzzi in the room only has boiling as temperature of water so you need about two hours before you can get in the thing by which time you've fallen asleep
- no information booklet outlining hotel services (but that’s because there is no service)
- I asked nicely to stay an extra hour in my room at check out as my taxi was due the hour after check out - denied, hotel lobby is comfortable enough given as the reason

I changed room twice before upgrading and even then it's terrible. I work in service and I have never come across such terrible service in my life. I guess you could say they have a great opportunity to turn it around but I get the feeling they never will.
On checkout I asked to separate things from the bill as I wanted to pay the difference for the upgrade and not my company. I was told that it was impossible but to come back on Monday...I was leaving the country for goodness sake!
My advice, no matter how expensive the very famous hotel half a block away is, you will get the best service over there as we found out when having dinner there. Different world!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank theservicemanager
Reviewed May 13, 2011

In some words. Internet didn´t work, it needed a pw but nobody knows it. Security box yes but not battery to work. Not serius with the payment way they accepted one and after they change it. The restorant service is not possible to be charged to your count you must to have cash to pay it. Noise from external A/C all night. Not face towells. Not floor towell.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2011

The Hotel is clean and safe and the room was very nice. Cool and silent air con, cheap mini bar, very comfortable and large bed. No hot water on the shower. No breakfast although it does say that breakfast is included on your booking. They'll direct to the the cafe on the corner for a croissant which is very expensive so you should go to another regular cafe further up the road or more into the town centre. Other than that, free internet and we were able to leave our bags at the hotel for the day until our taxi arrived which they booked for us at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarlzHoliday
Reviewed December 30, 2010

The hotel looks so nice in pictures. The rooms are great. Buuuuut, there are NO services here. The staff just hangs out in the lobby watching television. We tried to get a car to take us around the city. The staff could not help us. We walked up the street to the JW Marriott and were in a car within 5 minutes. When we returned to the hotel there was the staff hanging in the lobby watching That '70s Show and drinking cokes. When we asked them if we could get coffee in the morning we were told the hotel did not serve coffee and that we would have to go across the street. They mean well. But there is no "there there". We moved to the Pestana Caracas. Much nicer, pool on the roof, room service ect... And it's the same price.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple