Our stay at La Cigala was wonderful. The islands of Los Roques are some of the most beautiful that we had seen, and we really appreciated the laid back vibe of Gran Roque in general and La Cigala in particular. There are a lot of posadas there to choose from, but we were very happy with our choice. Here are what we consider the strong points of La Cigala:
1. The personal service. We were met at the airport by Joel, who helped us with our bags back to the posada. There are no vehicles on the island, so he used a dolly/handtruck to bring our suitcases. Joel was fantastic throughout our stay -- always upbeat and helpful. Our 8 year old son bonded with him and we appreciated the fact that he was always there when we needed something or had a question. Alejandro is the manager there, and he was very effective in listening to our preferences and helping us plan the next day of beachgoing. He was very laid back and made sure that we had everything we needed. The chef and his staff cooked up wonderful meals and were quite personable as well. We felt like we were guests at a private house with how friendly everyone was.
2. The food. As you can read in other reviews, the menu is mostly fish. However, when I told the staff that my son and I did not eat a lot of fish, they were very accomodating in making other entrees for us. They made a wonderful pasta with sauce one night for my son, and another night even made him homemade chicken nuggets. They truly bent over backwards making sure that we were happy. On a couple of days, we saw a fisherman bring in fresh fish for that night's meal. Even though I don't really like fish, I tried the red snapper and the barracuda and can honestly say that I enjoyed it. Breakfast was nice - every day they had pancakes, toast, mini arepas, fruit, cereal, ham & cheese, coffee and juice. They even made fresh scrambled or fried eggs to order. The lunch boxes that they made were fantastic too, with a nice mix of sandwiches/wraps, fruit and even a few cookies. They will also stock whatever other beer, soda or other beverages that you want.
3. Quality of beach equipment. This may seem petty, but La Cigala has great beach chairs and umbrellas that they deploy for you when you go to the nearby beaches. One day that we went to one of the farther away beaches we experienced the standard green plastic patio chairs that most posadas/boat captains use and we really missed the metal folding chairs (as depicted in some of the pictures that others have posted) that La Cigala has.
Ok, and the not so good/areas for improvement:
1. My wife would have liked a few toiletries. They provided soap but no shampoo. I kind of expected this, going to a rustic island, but my wife thought that a couple of hotel sized shampoos would have been nice.
2. The noise at night. As other reviewers noted, Gran Roque is a place where people come to have fun and party. That much you have to expect, and it is part of the gig. The posadas and bars are all clumped closely together on Gran Roque, and there is no avoiding hearing noise and music, especially on a weekend night. However, apparently there is a private residence right next door to the posada, and they must of had a party two of the four nights that we were there. The magnitude of the music noise is hard to depict in a written review, but the music was so loud that the walls shook. I remember back to my college days and probably would have killed or died to have the kind of stereo that these guys have, but even if I did I would not have gotten away with playing music that loud for long. I would encourage the owners of La Cigala to reach out to these neighbors (or whatever authorities there are on the island) to at least set a noise level and time limit to the noise. Long after the bar across the street was compelled to silence (at 1AM), this ambitious party DJ kept the techno beats going.
I am still giving La Cigala five stars, though, because despite these two concerns our stay was quite magical. We are already thinking about our next trip to Los Roques and La Cigala!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Incredible location, situated 20 meters from the beach, with beautiful social open spaces, a great terrace with ocean view and 8 rooms all with air conditioning, private bathroom, hot water. Equipped with 2 private boats, has concession to operate flying fishing operation with guides and captain. Owners expert kiters and SUP provide all information about the best spots. Offers B&B, Half board and Full Board packages. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Posada La Cigala Hotel Isla El Gran Roque
- Posada La Cigala Los Roques National Park, Venezuela