“Building/rooms/location actually OK...service horrific”
Review of Bella Vista Hotel

and 1 more site!
Bella Vista Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Porlamar
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We we're lured to the BVH on the basis that we'd seen publicity to suggest that it had been given a bit of a refurb and - as the TA reviews were so old - decided to give it a whirl. After all, what could be so bad? We used to stay at The Hilton before Mr C and his red-uniformed army took over. Margarita - in general - is a much worse place than it used to be. Shame.

The hotel - if you want to be in the 'thick' of it - is in a decent location. Plenty of restaurants around and enough shops to keep you going. Of course, finding food/products in the shops is another issue and one needs to suck it up. The place has a 3/4-star feel about it but nothing to set the alarm bells ringing. The pool area is lovely and is a great place to relax, take some sun and generally take it easy.

The rooms (more about actually getting checked in comes later) are fine. Consummate with the rating but generally clean-ish. The soaps are a bit rubbish (don't expect to get into a lather with it!) but the towels are fine. The safes in our rooms (634/635) were the old type which meant renting a lock from reception (which worked when it wanted to - lock and reception!).

So, those are the OK bits...everything else wherever service was concerned was just dire, dire, dire.

I'll start at the beginning...

We called to get prices for the rooms and were given the price and told there was no need to book; just come over. We arrived 30 minutes later and were 'greeted' by a very unfriendly receptionist. First, the rate we were quoted (just minutes before) wasn't available. After much wrangling we agreed on a rate...but there were supposedly "only two rooms left" despite an empty car park and the fact that we very rarely saw another soul. Then you weren't allowed to pay cash! Then you weren't allowed to check-in until 3pm on the dot!

This level of service continued throughout our stay; room keys that were cancelled because they hadn't made the booking correctly...even trying to charge us a 'late check-out' fee and we were not even leaving! It didn't get better and seeing the sulky bell-boys giving us dirty looks (we're a gay couple) didn't make us feel much at home.

A complaint to Paola Sol went ignored and - despite promising a response - clearly couldn't be bothered in the slightest with any attempt at customer service. They wouldn't know what it was if it had hit them square in the face.

The Hotel Bella Vista is the oldest hotel in Margarita. I'd say they'd probably have the worst service to boot. Shame on you Hotel Bella Vista.

Room Tip: Walk in the other direction and don't stop at HBV
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ZippyLondon

Reviewed March 4, 2008

I stayed here for 2 days while waiting to get into a condo in a better area.
The Bella Vista is a lower class hotel in front of a dirty beach, and in an area that you do not walk around in at night.
The only upside is that there are plenty of shops within walking distance.
Condos are easy to find and cheaper to rent.
I recommend Esparta Suites in the Costa Azul area by the Hilton and Senor Frogs. It is on the beach, has laundry, cafe, grocery, Internet, video store and a taxi stand out front. The area is safe to walk at night with many restaurants and clubs close by.
The rate for a 2 BR, 2 Bth unit is only about $75 per night or cheaper for a longer term. Picture of room view is attached.
Taxis on Margarita are very cheap for your daytime excursions to other parts of the island.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank HeyJuan
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The view was decent from our room, and we made good use of the pool. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, although the location left something to be desired. I would recommend staying here only if you are interested in the shopping and nightlife available in Porlamar. Otherwise, head for the beaches.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank boardinbob
Reviewed February 13, 2008

This hotel lacks not only better rooms, but most importantly, SECURITY!
A terrible scene happended while we were there. A group of taxi drivers from the hotel were hitting some hotel guests right there at the lobby! they hit them so bad there were broken noses, ribs, and blood was on the floor. There was no security personnel in place, and the manager didn't do anything to compensate or aleviate this situation. It was terrible to watch and certainly terrifiying for my family!
We never saw any kind of support from the Hotel management, the police or nobody. There wasn't even a First Aid Kit in the reception area.This happened on January 10, 2008.
Never, ever again will we stay in this horrible place!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank ordenenlasala
Reviewed August 4, 2007

I had read in a few guide books that this was a luxury hotel. I wanted to treat my boyfriend and myself to two luxurious nights in a nice hotel. WE WERE THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED. Immediately upon seeing the room I knew it wasn't worth it (ugly room, uncomfortable bed, leaky shower, and no sound proofing), but we were exhausted. I went to the desk and told them we wanted to only stay one night. They said it was fine. To make a long story short- upon returning home I find out they charged me for two nights. Two separate transactions- one which I signed and one which they FORGED. I AM STILL DEALING WITH IT WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tiredCalifornia
A TripAdvisor Member
ottawa
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We stayed at the Bella Vista for a week in February. It was not the best place we had been but it was not the worst. For all you people that changed your reservation and went to a different hotel, you lost out on meeting 16 wonderful people.

You could pick out the negatives or enjoy the fact that you were on a island full of sun and not snow. My only complaint that there was the all-inclusive guest and your come-off-the-street guests. They did cater to the off-the-street guests more and that made us feel like the lower class citizen at times. The manager was always coming around to make sure things were in order and overall they are trying to make things better still.

The food, yes, it was warm to cold, but overall eadible. The resort was well cared for and clean. From travelling around, i have learned to take a candle with me to clean out the aroma from past guests. The pool was beautiful and we had it to ourselves most of the time. There were plenty of beach chairs available at any time of the day.

We walked the beach for miles and found the most beautiful sea shells however I do recommend you wear water shoes as there is a fair amount of broken glass on/in the beach. The STORM (not sewer) drain proved to be the best sea shell catcher. There was a girl on the beach doing massages for $12US, and down the street you could get a pedicure for $7US.

They do recommend not to wear alot of jewelry on the beach or streets. That is common sense for any city, here or there. We walked the beach all day and went out on the streets morning, noon and night, and felt complety safe. The only thing we had to watch out for were the persistant workers in the stores who tried very hard to get you to buy something.

It was a quiet resort so we looked around for things to do as the sun is verrrry hot and you could not sit in it for long periods of time. We took a cab to the casino one night, but later in the week we found one within a couple of blocks(less than 5 min walk) from the resort. As for going to the SAMBIL shopping mall, you have all the same stores within walking distance from the hotel, save your travel time and venture on foot. You will find most of what you are looking for in RATTAN's and a Wendy's a bit further up the street for a taste of home. We did go to the flea market, and it was fun bargaining for items, but it was mostly clothing to be found. It is very hard to find souveniers on the island and the airport has some stores to help you out for last minute finds.

We only did one excursion with Life's A Beach Jeep Safari and it was wonderful. We seen all of the island, had a excellent lunch and seen a beautiful sunset. Pedro was the worst/best driver and we were the envy of all the other jeepriders. They do have a nice souvenier shop there so buy what you want before you go out because they drop you back at your hotel and you will miss out like I did.

As far as getting sick, too much booze, not enough water, and food cooked differently than you are used to will probably give you a bit of the trots. Wipe and get over it and don't let that spoil your holiday.

We had a good time and enjoyed our much needed rest and holiday.

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2006

Hotel Bella Vista, Margarita Island. In January 2006, my daughter and I purchased a vacation package from GoTravel Direct in Ottawa, Canada. We spent one week at Hotel Bella Vista and felt like we had been had...you name it...it was wrong. The beach was covered in garbage and broken glass. The food was the worst we have ever experienced on our travels (numerous trips to the Carribean and U.S.). The buffet was constantly covered with flies. The bedroom smelled like human waste...even after trying to mask the odour with my 80$ cologne...towels for the bathroom were like precious stones; once you managed to find one or two...you thanked God! It was the worst trip of our lives - I was afraid for my daughter's health and safety. I wish I could think of something good about this hotel and the vacation package - I paid hard-earned dollars - vacationing with my daughter is rare - too bad this resort and travel agency destroyed our trip! In summary, we will never return to this hotel - and we will never return to Margarita Island - our tourist dollars and precious holiday time will go elsewhere.

13  Thank Critique
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlamar
Puerta Del Sol Porlamar
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
California Hotel
California Hotel
#1 of 12 in El Yaque

Been to Bella Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!