“Very friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Porlamar
Bilbao, Spain
“Very friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

It’s not the newest hotel in the world, but it is very nice. The rooms are large enough, cleaned every day. The towels are exchanged daily and arranged in awesome shapes.
I loved the food – there were very few dishes that repeated during my stay. Loads of fruit available. Awesome drinks mixed with fresh juices.
The staff was nice and friendly and even though many of them can’t speak English and my Spanish is less than perfect – there was always a way to communicate.
There is a nearby beach once you cross the narrow street with many bars and tour agencies.
I can definitely recommend Puerta del Sol for a nice holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank trvlgrll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Hello,
Just to tell you that my family and i were very pleased to stay at this hotel from Feb 21 2012 to March 6 2012.We were 4 ,2 adults and 2 children and we shared a spacious room with 2 king size beds overlooking the pool.The room had everything we needed: fridge, cable TV, WiFi connection and safe to hold our valuables.The most amazing part of this hotel is the staff.They were just extraordinary:help at any hour of the day or night, courteous, friendly you name it. My wife and I were very touched by the service we got just felt like being home. We both speak fluent Spanish among other languages.Th price we paid was an amazing $38 per day with breakfast included because we booked on the internet in October 2011 and we paid in local currency Bolivares.The location is perfect.You can catch a cheap bus to any location in the Island just 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose one that overlooks the pool
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ashagiri
Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

All I can say is don't go to Isla de Margarita. I travel a lot and will NEVER go back. This hotel was disgusting. I trust Tripadvisor and thought it wouldn't be too bad. We paid $145 for the room and it was so horrible that I wouldn't pay $30 a night. Nobody spoke ANY English at this hotel or on the island. So if you are not fluent in Spanish, go to Aruba or anywhere else. The Spanish was also different and hard to understand. Our room was not like pictures. I wore my shoes in the room the entire time because I was scared of the filth. The bed was horrible and the paint on the walls were peeling and cracked which looked like it was a result of water damage. The bathroom was DISGUSTING!!! I was afraid to step into the tub or sit on the toilet. It boasts two pools. WRONG. The pool was OK- not heated and the "2nd" pool was the little square thing in their picture that was dirty, disgusting and only filled to about your knees. Little kids were running in it... I don't consider this a pool. Breakfast... ugh. Food was all cold. Not much of a variety. Not much room to sit. They put a plate with slabs of what I think may have been ham and cheese slices (I can't even begin to describe what it looked like so I didn't touch it.). I ate toast, which you can't really screw up. I have traveled in my pop up camper, so I can honestly say that I am not very picky about my accomidations- so please trust me when I say don't stay here and don't even bother to come to this city or island.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelLover570

Travelers are raving about these Porlamar hotels

Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

We decided to visit the island and this hotel was recommended by the travel agent.Upon arrival,the hotel seemed to be under renovation.I must say the staff was friendly and helpful even though most didn't speak english.However,on reaching our room we were disgusted.The room was dusty,the carpet ragged and the walls were so freshly coated with paint that the entire place fumed.There was no way we could stay in there so we complained and got a better room.
On mornings,breakfast was somewhat tasty however repetative.There weren't enough seats available indoors so the only place you could go is the outdoor eating area that was very unsanitary.We were terribly surprised to see a couple of cats eating the scraps off the plates.Disgusting!
The maid service was efficient. The water in the bath was always warm and the pressure was good.Despite the problems,our stay was okay...could have been better.
Overall the shopping on the island was good.Everyone was friendly.If you want to change your US to Bs make sure to change it at the shops on the boulevard,you get a better deal than if you change it at a cambio.

• Liked — the friendly staff
  • Disliked — unsanitary conditions
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank trinigirl4eva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlamar
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita
#3 of 12 in El Yaque
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#12 of 91 in Margarita Island

Been to Puerta Del Sol Porlamar? Share your experiences!