“great property!”

Isla Caribe Beach Hotel
Ranked #26 of 89 Hotels in Margarita Island
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews....This large property is very well maintained and has three pools one has loud music, entertainment and was a lot of fun. the second seemed more family oriented....Filled with families and laughter....Then finally the third...with a rock wall water fall and complete quiet...i used all three depending on my needs and all were great! the food on the resort was ok...there are two buffets availablle check both because sometimes it seemed one was often much better then the other... wished i had hot sauce, but there was a always a selection and i never went hungry.
THE BEACHES....the beach located outside of the resort has black sand and limited beach chairs...the waves were huge and often came crashing right in to the resorts beach bar. The resort is aware that black sand and high surf is not for everyone, Although i quite enjoyed it. They offer a free bus to the famous white sanded beach called playa el agua. There they also have a beach bar and ample beach chairs....The bus leaves every fifteen minutes.
We stayed on the premium side and loved our room and the view of the party pool and ocean...Room 2306 is where we stayed and loved it. The staff were fair...had no complaints.

Room Tip: the extra for the premium room is well worth it
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelingmelody

Reviewed March 7, 2012

The trip to Isla Caribe on Margarti Island was incredible! The hotel staff are extremely nice (they do speak some english but mostly spanish which added to the authentic experience!)! The room we had was on the Tropical side and had amazing mountain and ocean view from the patio and was gigantic! We tipped the maid 20 bolivars at the start of the week and had new towels everyday and she went the extra mile and rearranged our shoes and everything! The food at the resort is good (for resort food). It does not try to be north american (like in mexico) but is well flavoured. There is plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables out for every meal. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and there were no shortage of options with the exception to the A la Carte meal. The A la Carte meal was delicious but only a single vegetarian meal option from the kids meal but the staff did a great job of customize it with vegetables for her. The beach in front of the resort is quite nice with a nice beach bar, unfortunately it is slowly eroding away. However, there is a free shuttle every 15 mins to El Playa Agua which is a beautiful beach which also has a Sunsol bar so there is free drinks and snacks there as well.
The day trips are amazing! We hiked up Mount El Copey, horse back road, and kayaked through the mangrove forest. Firstly, hiking up Mt El Copey was incredible. We met a local tour operator (Vincent Chung he has a shop in front of Hotel Puertas del Sol at Playa El Agua) and he arranged to have us tour up the Mt. There was a local man who took us up the Mt in one of the most incredible things we've ever done.The horse back riding was extremely nice as well, the horses are extremely well trained and the views are amazing! We also recommend kayaking through the mangrove forest. We chose to do this over the boat tour and are glad we did. Although a long drive out there, it is well worth it for the 3 hour kayak ride! Compared to the motorized boat tour (which others at our resort did) you do not scare away any of the wild life and we were within feet of pelicans in there nests. Overall the trip is incredible and all of the locals are extremely friendly!
Advice:
- DON'T EXCHANGE YOUR AMERICAN MONEY BEFORE HAND! The black market exchange rate is double that of the current exchange rate and is offered by almost everyone working at the resort! About 8 bolivars for 1 american dollar is the rate we most often found.
- Tip the maid 20 bolivars when you arrive and she will treat you extremely well
- Go see Vincent Chung at Playa El Agua in front of Hotel Puertas del Sol for your tour needs (especially to hike up the mountain). The resort will offer you some tours, but the amount they offer is limited and over priced.
- Also try an Empanada while on the beach at Playa El Agua, they are so good!

Room Tip: - IF you want a beautiful view without the cost, stay on the tropical side on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin M
Reviewed January 30, 2012

It is a fantastic place!!!! I have no idea why it is not rated higher! My room was like a suite, when front door and balcony door were open, the breeze blew through, the sounds of the surf, ( of which I had a fabulous view) salsa music coming up from the fishermens village to one side, the view of the mountain across and behind the rest of the buildings..... The service from the chamber maid to the bartenders, waiters, front lobby staff, was ALL totally above and beyond the call! The reps for Nolitours and Air Transat were fantastic! The weather was great except for a day, but we took a trip to the other end of the island that was hotter and drier.
The food was great, the evening shows were fun, and the bars were fully stocked!

I have nothing bad to say about this trip at all. I highly recommend this hotel, where every employee seems to go out of their way to make us happy. The Jeep tour and the Kayak trip were exceptionally good. The waiters actually compete to serve us, and the grounds keepers are always super busy, but not too busy to slice the top off a coconut for us any time we walked by! The lady who cooks the omelets in the morning remembers what everyone likes so we dont even have to order , she sings to everyone as she cracks the eggs with one hand. The rest of the food is great too! I didn't lose any weight there! The cabaret show every evening was always fun, and dancing after it, up on the stage, is encouraged!
The worst part of the whole trip was saying goodbye to all the new friends before leaving!
When can I go back????!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay the little bit extra for the Chameleon club, it is worth it! Give the maid 20 bolivars at the b...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank MontrealCanajan
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just got back from Margarita and I must say this was one of the WORST experiences I have ever had (and I travel frequently)... Isla Caribe is a nice hotel that needs maintenance. We stayed in the Premium Rooms and that side is pretty decent except for when you touched something in the room... all the drawers, door handles, electrical plate covering the switch just feel apart in our hands and getting them to fix it was an even worst task! The front door handle feel apart when we tried turning it.. envision this big heavy duty handle totally came apart, my friend called the front desk frequently and no one came, she eventually went to the front desk with door handle in hand and dropped it on the desk and only then did we get someone to fix it... The gave us (two rooms) the wrong remotes for the tv and AC and didnt send anyone to address it, we had to virtually beg for the correct remotes. On a positive note the food was quite good and the surroundings really clean. The pool was in tip top condition as well...Khans Marketing/Krystal Tours Trinidad.. DONT EVER USE THESE PEOPLE!!!! It was horrible! Khan's who is the tour operator in Trinidad booked the plane to leave Margarita at 1.30am and had us in the airport from 2.00pm that evening.. Other persons who booked with them were in the airport from as early as 9.00am. The original flight time was supposed to be 1.00 pm.. The people associated with the airline would not give us a clear explanation as to what was happening...It took the airline Perla 6 hours to check in the flight.. RIDICULOUS!!! The airport authorities also shut off the AC because it was just our flight remaining and ONLY because people literally started PASSING OUT (yup the ambulance staff had to make an appearance) they turned on the AC in one of the halls and allowed people to wait there.... We were searched countless times by military personnel, the only thing they didnt ask us to do was drop trousers and bend over.. I must say this was truly an eye opening experience into what my fellow Trinidadians offer in terms of service and experience... I will never make the same mistake twice and wish you well if you decide to visit Margarita or use Khan's Marketing/Krystal Tours...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
25  Thank TriniGirl80
Reviewed September 5, 2011

hmm well boi i don't no where to start. First, we waited 2hrs to check in and the receptionist did not speak english so she mess up everybody name while call out. Second, d room was like an ice box and aircondition was not even on. Third, the food was horrible tasteless thank God for lime & salt or else u wud be eating fresh fish off d ocean. Fourthly, d pool closes at 7 o'clock which i find is total mess. Fifthly, the electricity went so i had to sit outside in wet clothes til it was back 2hrs after fuss d room was dark. Sixth, Water gone so couldn't bathe in my room thank God for my friends or else i wud have been clubbing with a sweaty box. And last but not least check out time was at 1pm, d bus took us at 3 and we waited till 7.30 to leave, thank God for Jesus i have patience.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank Susan P
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at Isla Caribe Hotel for 4 days. I stayed in one of the premium rooms in the newer part of the hotel. In my opinion the service was ok. Isla Caribe is not a five star hotel and it shows. Anyone expecting otherwise will be sorely disappointed. I must say that contrary to other reports I got, the front desk staff speak and understand English well.

My room was spacious with a double bed, TV, en-suite toilet and shower with hot water, a small safe and a balcony with a poolside view. The maid service is sufficient: my towels were changed everyday along with the bin in the bathroom, and my bed was made up with some nice designs.

The food was indeed plentiful, but I found it a bit bland - I am partial to spicy foods and I thought I would have gotten that in Margarita. Also, there isn't much in the way for vegetarians - I survived mainly on salads: they would offer different kinds of meats but one kind of peas. I also found the fruit selection to be limited. The wait staff are very pleasant though, and were very efficient at clearing my table promptly after my meal. I did see two stray cats wandering about one of the restaurants. No one seemed surprised or bothered. The hotel had nightly live entertainment; I enjoyed the live music and dancing. I thought it was a nice cultural show.

The most serious problem I had with the hotel was the frequency of power outages. One night I awoke sweating, only to find that the power was out and therefore the air-conditioning unit wasn't working, and on my last night, there was no electricity for over an hour. The power went again the morning of my departure.

Overall, my stay at Isla Caribe was enjoyable. It's a pleasant, affordable, all-inclusive resort experience for the traveler on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank n0mad85
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This is a warning to everyone who's going to Isla Caribe hotel ,people who work their go into your room to clean it and steel your stuff ,My husband and I was a victIm of that they say only the maid has a key to your room ,so they went into my room in the night while i was out and cut open my suitcase and stole my hand bag with everything in it, cash,jewels,id,bank cards passport both my husband and mine.
The worse part of it all management don't do anything about it,they just come and ask questions ,take pictures and say sorry you have to fen for yourself after.they know it is the maid who did it that is why they did not want us to see the security camara .please be warned.At first i was already planning to come back with my kids cause everything was going so good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple