“holiday in jail !”

Ranked #84 of 89 Hotels in Margarita Island
varennes
“holiday in jail !”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This place is beautiful, but unfortunately there are security problems. As I headed to the dunes outside the hotel to do photography, an armed guard of LTI Costa Caribe warned me that it was dangerous to walk on the beach outside the environment of the hotel. Because photography is my hobby, it disappointed me a lot not being able to walk to and from the hotel in security.
Although I paid the extra ($ 500) for a suite with sea view, and although they gave us a room far from the beach, near the lobby.
Of all the places I visited in the Caribbean, the United States and Europe, this is the place with the worst food. At every meal we had the choice between burned chicken, dry strips of beef or fish, always the same. The perfect place to lose weight.
For the price it is easy to find much better as a place to vacation, and feel safe.
Because there are fewer flight to Margarita, we can ask whether this tourist spot is it not about to disappear. Too bad because the odds of Margarita with its small fishing villages could be a lot of charm.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank birdinsky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have never submitted a review but have enjoyed (and sometimes agreed with) what has been written. We booked the ITL Costa Caribe BEFORE I bothered reading the reviews. We (my friend and I) have taken many trips both overseas and to Dominican, Cuba, Mexico etc. This hotel was the worst ever! This weather was the best ever! So... truly the food is beyond gross... if I ever eat tomato aand lettuce again it will be too soon. I restricted myself to fruit that I could recognize along with vegetables and bread. That was it!! Everything else was or looked awful. All of the Canadians that we met that week were equally bummed about the food. The hotel is or was charming as someone else said but needs huge repairs. The grounds are clean . The pool was lovely and every day we saw it being cleaned. The wild dogs are more approachable than the staff for the most part. Front desk is beyond RUDE with the exception of the one young man, name unknown. We had an ocean front room that really was lovely with a large balcony.... room was always clean , beds OK for comfort... no bugs at all and no evidence of spraying!! The pool bartenders were really nice too... you are very isolated here and any trips that are available did not receive great reviews from the people who took them. The beach is so beautiful but there are large rocks (unexpected) and the undertow is dangerous and I am a swimmer. I would not venture out beyond chest level due to waves etc.You can walk the beach in 10-15 minutes in either direction but are usually waved back by security as there is alot of rough terrain that the locals have access to... in fairness to them, the police and security at the airport are the worst dangers you will encounter. They take apart all your luggage... it takes at least 2 hours in line and that is before customs.... getting in to this country is easy, getting out a nightmare. Oh by the way there is NOTHING to buy here at the ITL ... the two little shops are rarely open and truly we are shoppers and we couldn't even find anything worth bringing home.... did buy a lovely fake Guess watch for about $9.00 Can. from a beach vendor and it is still working. Do not take the shopping excursion to Porlamar unless you want to feel like you are in any large mall in any big city... nothing different. First trip we ever came home with money AND did not use a credit card at all!! The sun that we went for did not disappoint but beyond that AVOID this part of the world. By the way in spite of everything we met some people and had a great time BUT listen to the reviews abd go elsewhere!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank momare
Ottawa Ontario
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I read reviews before going and thought... "wow, people are so negative, you can't please most people, everyone has to complain about something", After going there myself, now I get it... Believe what you read about the poor standards and bad food, it is the truth!...The vacation overall was good because of the weather, not because of the resort. I would never reccomend this resort to others. I am not very particular when it comes to accomodations, our expectations were not that high and we were nothing short of dissapointed. When I arrived I cut my toe stepping into the resort, they didnt even have a bandaid and told me I would have to buy one. It all went down hill from there. My husband was sick on day 2 and 3, my friends husband the last 2 days. The food was pathetic, the staff were not friendly with the exception of a couple (Mate was great). At the front desk we were treated like an inconvenience. I didnt mind the dogs, felt sorry for them and fed them whenever I could, someone has to. We spoke to several people who agreed that the resort is more like a 2 star, other resorts around the Island were not getting better reviews from those we spoke to on excursions, the food was bad in all places. The venezuealans seemed to be the only ones eating, they had heaping plates full of food, others were eating the bare minimum. Even the land outside the rsort was full of garbage, wherever there were people. I had heard so many people say Margarita Island was beautiful, envious that we were going. Well, I can tell you there are MUCH nicer landscapes to be seen all over Canada. Don't waste your money! For those who are writing good reviews, I would be interested in knowing where they are from? I spoke to may people, no one who was happy about the food. The resort itself is very nicely laid out, great decor, but run down and badly needing TLC! Most of the Staff need training on being friendly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank deniandbonnie

Travelers are raving about these Margarita Island hotels

London
Reviewed March 26, 2010

This has obviously been a much better hotel in earlier years but the 4 star rating is a joke. it is more like a 2 star hotel. The rooms are clean but not well maintained. We had missing trim on the doors. There was almost never any hot water and the toilet leaked. The pool was very good but the whirlpool did not work and had not worked for some time.. The front desk people were not helpful and only one person spoke reasonable English. There is an internet room - but again, the attendant only speaks Spanish. The little variety store was run by a very unfriendly girl. She had a little scam going and I spoke to many people that she had pulled this trick on. When she made change, she gave you the shopper all coin. In my case she gave me 35 coins as change. I told her to keep it. At the time I believed that she had run out of small bills but then I found that she did the same thing to many people on different days. The food is a tragedy. It is good food very badly prepared - half cooked potatoes, beef that you could not chew. I addition, the food was never hot. There are a lot of stray dogs in the dining room and birds flying around. There was bird poop on the deck chairs and even on some chairs in the dining room.There were also dogs on the beach. The bar staff were nice and helpful. The weather was fantastic. We made the best of it, but we would never go back and we would not recommend it to any of our friends. Our biggest complaint has to be the almost total lack of English or French. The only Venezuelans who spoke decent English or French were the tour guides who did not work for the hotel. Considering that most of the guests were from Germany and Canada, Spanish only sevice in a 4 star hotel is not acceptable

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed March 2, 2010

It may have been a 4 star hotel once but not now - it is rundown and in disrepair. Needs a lot of renovations and TLC. The food was horrible the first week but did improve some the second week but I believe it's because a lot of people complained plus they ran out of some foods. The a la carte restaurant was a joke - many people left half way through the so-called meal. The weather was great and hot but you wouldn't know how hot with the breeze blowing in off the water. The beach was okay but not very long if you are a beach walker. The hotel allows dogs and cats to roam at will and they even allow them into the restaurant to beg for food. However, they also allow them to starve to death. One of the dogs died outside the a la carte restaurant and we found one of a litter of kittens dead on the sidewalk near the main restaurant. They also have two turtles and a Macaw in captivity yet they don't feed them or clean their cage. I complained to our travel rep (who was absolutely marvelous by the way - but then she had to be with so many complaints)and she passed on the message about cruelty to animals in captivity. There was some slight improvement before we left but not great.
Leaving from Porlamar Airport was another nightmare we did not need. They treated all of us like drug smugglers by thoroughly going through our baggage and then scanning each suitcase even after that. Then you go to check in for your flight - we did NOT get our prepaid/prebooked seat assignments going home so now I have to have my travel agent try and claim it back. We also got charged for overweight luggage - normally they will average the suitcases but not there. Once checked in we had to line up for going through security - we just got to the front of the line when the guards decided to take a half hour lunch. Nobody relieved them - they ate in front of us and made us wait. Because the guards scanned each piece of luggage our flight was late leaving and we had to refuel in Nassau on the way home therefore our flight got in at midnight instead of eight pm.
We travel every year and go somewhere hot for two weeks. This was our biggest disappointment of all our trips. It's sad really because we looked forward to this trip all year long and then you have such a huge let down.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Wow, where to begin. This place is no four star hotel. Two would be a stretch. I also want to mention that I'm not that picky, all I ask for is edible food and a clean room and some good sunshine. Well the sunshine was incredible, but the food and the clean room? Not so much. I was sick within a day and it was BAD. Could have ruined my stay if it wasn't for the help a fellow traveler that happened to be a doctor. Everything tasted as if it had been microwaved in gasoline, it was horrible. The staff overall was quite friendly and the fact that no, not too many of them spoke English didn't bother me. I communicated just fine and so long as you're kind and friendly the staff will do whatever they can to help. However friendliness alone is not enough of a reason to go back to this sub-par resort. The beach is nice, the weather is always perfect but if you're looking for a place to vacay in Margarita you should go to the Isla Carribe. Ten thousand times better. My sister and I left the LTI after week one and spent our second week at the Isla Carribe and it was the best decision we could have made. Here are some of the acronyms my hilarious sister came up with for the LTI:

Lucky That I Survived
Literally Terrible In Every Way
Last Time I Ever Go There

Margarita Island was fantastic and if you get out and make friends with a cool taxi driver that can show you around the island I believe that this could be one of the most enjoyable trips one can have for the low cost. Just don't go to the LTI. Chances are it will ruin your Venezuelan experience.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank VenezuelaV
elora
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We have been to Margarita Island twice previously.
Both experiences were much better. Things have really gone down hill.
There are many places better for the same or less money.
Cuba, Dominican,Mexico all offer better vakue and actually seem to appreciate your business. Safety is a major issue now in Venezuela. A couple at our hotel were robbed on the beach at gunpoint. The beach is fenced and locked at night for safety reasons restricting you from a stroll along the beach at night and even during the day you should not wander out of sight of the hotel.
The worst is reserved for the airport, Excessive line-ups of 3hours. physical body searches all conducted with a very intimidating attitude. Tour operators should remove this hotel and take a good look at being involved in Venezuela at present.
Go elsewhere till they get their act together in Venezuela,

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business