“Honest Truth”

Hesperia Isla Margarita
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Margarita Island
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This vacation was a very spur of the moment one, however I took the time in the 2 weeks leading up to it to read reviews on this very page. Many visitors had negative comments to make about the hotel, its staff and various other issues about the island. Let me begin by saying this was my first time in Margarita and based on the reviews and other stories stories from family members, I came with a somewhat influenced outlook on the hotel and island. Boy was I in for a shock as the days passed and realized that you have to experience something for yourself before judging.

The flight to Margarita itself was late for departure from Piarco, Trinidad, however upon arrival in Margarita we were greeted at the airport by the representatives from the tour that we booked with. These guys were very helpful in informing on the ride to the hotel of the various activities available. Upon arrival at the hotel we got immediate service at the reception to check-in, being that it was just about 11pm local time and knowing that dinner was probably finished serving, we still inquired. To our amazement, the guy at the check-in counter said they were aware of our flight's delay and they prepared a buffet for us in a separate dining area. We had a thoroughly smooth check-in, proceeded to deposit our luggage in the rooms and grab dinner, We were greeted by hot soup, entrees and desserts.

After the dinner, we hung around the lobby for a little while soaking up the live entertainment. The next day, I was in for a rude awakening, when I opened my curtains, I was greeted by one of the most beautiful views I've ever had at a hotel. My room had both an ocean view, as well as overlooking the pool and golf course. Breakfast was very good, with the wide variety of foods, fruits, cereals and breads and cheeses available. But perhaps my favourite item of the breakfast menu was the fried arepas, those little gems are just the tastiest things I've eaten in a long while.

The pool and beach area of the hotel are both sublime. I can unashamedly say I slept by the pool under one of the cabana things for at least 2hrs uninterrupted. We got very cordial service from every single member of staff that we came into contact with. The free shuttle from the hotel to the mall was also very reliable, convenient and safe. During one such trip, we were taken along the coast and a few small towns, which gave you a sense of what real life on Margarita island was about, and not the hotel tour route.

To be brutally honest I cannot in good faith give this hotel a bad review because I didn't have any.When asked for anything, the staff were prompt and efficient in carrying out the requests. The food was spectacular, the options were vast, but perhaps the best dining experience I had at the hotel was Mexican night, the burritos, nachos, taquitos and guacamole were the best I've ever eaten. I would hands down recommend this hotel to my friends and family for future travels.

This is not the Hilton or Hyatt, if that's what you're expecting then you have the wrong hotel, but believe me it's a hell of alot better than most of the reviews said.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Naasira M

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I really enjoy visiting the margarita island, my husband and i have stayed in a few of the all inclusive resorts in Margarita. We had some bad experiences before, but the good always out weigh the bad. On our visit to Hesperia Isla Margarita, that was not so at all.

We left for margarita island on saturday 18 February, 2012, a flight which was scheduled for 11:00 AM did not depart Piarco until 10:15PM, on LTA airline "LATE TO ARRIVE". Eventually we reached Magarita around 11:00pm. Thank goodness we made arrangements for ground transfer. Upon arrival Tanstar transportation was waiting for us, who then took us to the resort. We had one detour at Dunes to drop off some fellow vacationers. Then proceeded to Hesperia Isla Margarita Resort.

Upon arrival at the compound, I was blown away by the beauty of the resort. It looked like a true five star resort. After collecting our luggage, we proceeded to the check in counter. By that time it was around 12:00 midnight (T&T Time), we waited about 20 minutes for someone to appear at the check in counter. A very unpleasant gentleman came out looking like he was asleep, with his pants zipper down. We proceeded with checking in. I travelled with my husband and a close friend.

Our friend got his room with ease, my husband and i were assigned to a room on the 3rd floor. When we eventually found the room the room card just would not open the door, so we thought the card was not coded properly. We went back to the check in counter, after waiting 30 minutes, we realized that the room was already assigned to someone else. We were told that we have to hold on until all the other passanger were checked in. we were then assigned a second room on the 4th floor,i guessed we had better luck or not, the room was opened with the card but the room was in use, someone was there apparently and stepped out. So we went back to the check in counter again, now the reception clerk was frustrated and appeared like he had no idea what was going on, he sent someone to check the room to confirm our discovery. By that time it was already 2:00Am (Sunday). At that point we we frustrated, tired, hungry and ready to come home to sweet T&T. We eventually got a room at 3:00Am. Our room was supposed to have a large bed, instead we got 2 small single beds, but atleast it was clean.

We showered and went to bed, about an hour after we heard a knock on the door, it was room service (free), we got burger and fries. On Sunday around 6:00pm i went to have a shower only to realize the maid took the towels and did not replace them. So i called reception, first i was told that someone will bring the towels in 10 minutes, i waited half an hour. i decided to call back i was told another 10 minutes, by that time i waited 1 hour only to be told eventually that they do not have any towels. I had to go borrow a towel from our friend's room.

We went for dinner, the dinner hall was packed to maximum, we were unable to get a table. So we stood there for about 20 minutes, we had to join a couple from france who were seated at a table for 8 persons. The same thing happened when we went for dinner the previous night. There were alot of people just standing in any empty space with plates of food in their hands. The same trend followed at breakfast everyday.

On monday we decided to enjoy the beautiful pool, only to be told that there were no beach towels available, we thought about using the towels from our room, but in reality there wasn't any towels their either. i guess this resort never catered for the number of guest they made reservations for.

By monday evening i told my husband i am ready to go home and we barely spent two whole day there. The food was not helping, it was terrible.

We left the resort on tuesday morning and reached the airport only to realize our flight was delayed again. We were suposed to arrive in T&T at 2:15 pm, guess what , we were still sitting at the airport in margarita. Eventually we reached Piarco at 5:00 pm.

I will definately visit the margarita island again, but i can honestly say i will never stay at HESPERIA ISLA MARGARITA again! i felt like i wasted my money by making reservations here. I will strongly advise anyone who is considering this resort for a vacation to please think about it again, don't be a victim like us and waste your hard earn money.

This is supposed to be a 5 star resort but i honestly feel 3 stars dropped off somewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank trini-karri
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We celebrate our honeymoon in this hotel, I send my congratulations to the staff hotel. The service was excellent. I was so happy with the marvelous attention. This hotel has an exiting view; we recommended it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank relopezz
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Good for whom wants a quiet place to enjoy the days with your family, very diferent from Hesperia Playa el Agua, with more atractions and much more guests.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Acordts
Reviewed December 11, 2011

El concepto del hotel no es de Playa, es tipo Ejecutivo y debe mantenerse el código de vestimenta en todo momento. El servicio en general no es bueno, en el Area de la playa es súper limitada el servicio de Toldos y sillas tomando en cuenta que el 80% es de alquiler por lo que la gran mayoría de los huéspedes se ven obligados a tomar este servicio. A demas el servicio de comida es desorganizado y poco apetecible.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank eefarias
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Jewelry and camara stolen from our lugage
Air conditioner in room did not work properly
No one spoke english at front desk -generally unhelpful
Swiming pool was missing about 100 tiles - no lifeguard
Exterior of hotel needs to be painted
Rooms needed to be refurbished, bed in very bad shape, missing tiles in bathroom, not clean.
Spa a disaster - green mold all arounf the pool

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ychacon-forte
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I absolutely loved the service of friendly and kind employees.The view is gorgeous especially the ocean view.
Suggestions:
Cook vegetarian food on a separate grill
Remove dogs from the outdoor restaurant
Identify the depth of the pool and employ a lifeguard at the beach and pool
leave messages on the phone for guests if they are not in the room
plumbing of sinks needs to be checked.Some sinks are clogged.
air condition the lobby and elevators: too hot
However these minor problems did not hinder a fabulous vacation.I felt like I was on honeymmon with my husband.Great environment, very scenic.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank trudy_hosein
HesperiaIslaMargarit, Director General at Hesperia Isla Margarita, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

Dear Guests,

First of all we wish to thank you for your time and input in communicating your favorable experiences at our hotel.

It is with great pleasure that we learn you enjoyed so much in your last visit.

We sincerely hope to have another chance to welcoming you again in the near future and, mean while, we send you our

Best regards,