“Gorgeous Views, Odd Place”

Whitney Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Garfield
Forestville, California
“Gorgeous Views, Odd Place”
Reviewed September 29, 2005

The Lodge is a very strange place. It reminded me so much of one of the faded places in the Catskills, struggling to stay alive without much maintenance or thought by the owners. At 9am, 5:30pm and 10am on different days of our stay, there was NO staff in the Lodge. When we were ready to check out no one was around either and I ended up leaving the key with a note at the front desk. Each time we needed to speak to a staff member I searched the entire 3-story bldg. for someone. Most of the lights in the lobby and common areas were turned off as well. What was unsettling was that we were never informed of the limited staff hours and in my ramblings I never saw any notice that gave an emergency number to call in case of things like stopped toilets, locked out guests, fire, a murderer roaming the halls, etc. The service even when the Lodge was staffed was pretty sketchy as well. The day we arrived, the coffee maker still had old grounds in it and another guest in our wedding group said it was the same in her room. The following day we noticed that my husband had gotten a fresh bath towel, but I hadn’t. They did give me a new washcloth and several new hand towels (altho all the old ones remained). Even tho’ the room had a kitchenette, there were absolutely no utensils, plates, or other items to render it serviceable. Most of the surfaces had a kind of sticky feeling to them. But I must say that despite all this strangeness, we were happy to stay at the Lodge since the wedding we were attending was held there. The view from our 3rd story corner room (#301) was absolutely magnificent. The lake and the forest provided an incredible panorama of scenery as far as you could see. We were able to view sunrise directly from one of the windows. Of course, the very best part of staying at the Lodge was being able to walk up the stairs to our room after the wedding reception ended--instead of having to drive out into the storm-lashed night as other guests had to do if they were staying elsewhere.

We thoroughly enjoyed their Sun. brunch, the only meal we ate at the Lodge. There was a nice array of selections and all that I sampled were quite good. The service was quick and friendly as well and we certainly enjoyed the whole experience. The limited hours for the Lodge's dining room made finding a decent breakfast a very high priority for us each morning. Trying to locate food of any type in the area was an adventure in itself--it's pretty much a minimum of 20 mi. in any direction before you can locate even the most meager provisions. Each day we would spend a good amount of time out foraging for food and certainly got to see a lot of the area while we were doing that!

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank Forestvillian
WhitneyMountain, Owner at Whitney Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
We would like to thank you for your review. The property is now Owner Managed and has been fully renovated (completed in 2010). We hope you will take another look at our property for consideration in the future.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed June 23, 2005

The dining room and bar are great, but when staying at this jewel in the ozarks be sure to ask to be placed in a lake view room which has been updated. Although the updated rooms are not exceptional in quality they are quaint and above average in quality. The rooms not updated or without lake views are worthless. There is no better lake view in hundreds of miles.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
IL
Reviewed May 5, 2005

We have just returned from our family reunion in Arkansas. We live in Illinois so it took us 9 1/2 hours. The first night my parents and my husband and I stayed at Scandia Inn in Eurka Springs, AR and it was great $50.00 a room with full breakfast can't beat it. We made our way to Garfield the next morning which took us about 30 min up very twisty roads enough to about get you sick kinda fun though. We arrived at The Lodge at Whitney Mountain on Bear Lake. Like the other reviews the view was like a dream. Everyone that came there for the reunion stayed at this lodge. We took almost all the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. My parents and my husband and I couldnot wait to see our view from our rooms because the people there said we both have views of the lake. We both get in our respective rooms and we all ran out into the hallway. The view was a pool that had nasty brown stuff filling up some of the deep end and alittle of the lake in the background. It was nasty. Then our rooms...each room is different, I saw 5 rooms while I was there, at the front desk they give you a real key not a card to get into your room and they only give you one they said that they didnt have anymore so dont loose it. Our room had a kitchen in it but it was from the 60s or 70s the wallpaper was just as old. Ours had a fireplace but you would have to get logs for it and it didnt look like it had be serviced. Our towels were stained with pink something on them and none of the towels matched. Keep in mind we paid 90.00 a night.
There was no hot water and when I tried to take a shower the water ran into the room that was underneath us. I know this for a fact because the people under us was part of our reunion. The owner told us that it was our fault that this was happening and he would not comp our rooms. He started yelling at my father. In my parents room right next to ours they had a mirror in the bathroom that had a big crack in it. 60s 70s look with kitchen no plates and same view that we had. No hot water at random times and when they used anything in their bathroom our toliet would girggle. My cousin is a firefighter and he said that there was not enough exits in case there was fire. In his room their mantle off of their fireplace fell and almost hit his little kid. They have no breakfast at The Lodge they give you a basket in the morning at your door with an orange, apple, juice, and bearclaw. It takes 30min to get to a real breakfast. Dinner was ok but was not was was promised we had a buffet for the reunion. There was some of my family that was older and they promised them a certain room they didnt get it. To make a very long story short the whole family on both floors got together and compiled a list of things that were wrong with their rooms and all of the rooms had something wrong or not working in them. I know at least two rooms did not have working toliets. I dont know where they get their help but they were rude and unhelpful just like the owner. We all wanted to go back to our little bed and breakfast at $50.00 night ......Scandia Inn.

14 Thank vampraver
Reviewed April 24, 2005

We were there for a family reunion. We had problems with not enough hot water for the showers. We also had problems with toilets not working and phones not working in the rooms. A fireplace mantle fell off and hit a small child in the head. One of my family had a room where there was a water leak in the ceiling of the bathroom. They do not supply you with tissue paper and there is only one small waste can in the room. One room did not even have heat in it. The place seems to be in disrepair. The resturant is very nice and a great overlook. That is the only thing that is good about the Lodge. My advise; avoid it!

• Stayed April 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 10, 2005

The Lodge on Whitney Mountain is in a beautiful location on Beaver Lake. The lodge has very comfortable rooms with an outstanding view of the lake. A great place to just get away from it all and relax. Also, the lodge has a very nice restaurant with very courteous owners.

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2004

We recently stayed at the lodge on Whitney Mountain, and I have to say that the rooms are deplorable! We paid $95 + tax for a room which was in disrepair, unclean & smelly! There were no extra towels, blankets or pillows. The man at the front desk who checked us in was very rude, also! On the positive side, the food was good and we enjoyed the downstairs bar. The view was magnificent. I would go there again for dinner, but I would not stay there unless they did some major renovations to the guest rooms!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2004

First of all, the view of the lake is awesome. This being the only thing I was pleased with. The rooms were poorly decorated. There was a hole in the wall above the bathroom mirror and the bathroom door would not shut. The group of people we were in attendance with were treated poorly by management. As if we were a nuisance instead of incoming money for the lodge. A few of the hotel employees enjoyed squealing their tires in front of the lodge at all hours of the day and night. Overall this lodge was not worth the price and I will not stay again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garfield
1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa
TownePlace Suites Bentonville Rogers
Palace Hotel & Bath House Spa
Palace Hotel & Bath House Spa
#14 of 35 in Eureka Springs

Been to Whitney Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!