All reviews filo beqa lagoon dive staff shark dive beachfront bure plunge pool lunch and dinner dive shop non divers koi pond fish bull sharks water pressure fire walkers night dive unlimited shore diving secret island
Selected filters
Reviewed May 14, 2019

This island should definitely should be on your bucket list! The views are breath taking and scuba diving is amazing. There are lots of fun activities for non divers as well, and the food they serve is amazing! Will definitely want to visit again!

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Morgan P
Maps817494, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2019

Bula and greetings Morgan...

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comments short but great...

We hope you all are able to come back to the Beqa family really soon..

A big vinaka vakalevu to you ... from all of team Beqa..

Reviewed May 4, 2019

This is a tricky review to write as we did not have the best time but I want to stress that the majority of the problems were not the fault of Beqa Island, in fact the amazing staff did everything they could to try and improve our situation.

Firstly the weather, it rained and rained the whole time which is beyond any resorts control. The resort did everything they could to reschedule events such as the fire walking which was appreciated. Due to the rain I can guarantee the spa treatments are great as I went a number of times! If we had been divers I think we would have had a much better time as that activity was less impacted by the rain. I spent a fair amount of time happily sitting in front of our Bure reading which was unfortunately disturbed by the renovations occurring to the bures opposite, lots of hammering etc. I understand renovations are necessary at times and if the sun had been out I would have been elsewhere on the resort swimming etc but the rain made that fairly impossible. I do feel guests should be notified if their stay will be impacted by noise close by though.

My poor husband arrived a little unwell (nothing to do with Beqa Island) and did not improve enough to participate in anything, in fact we left a day early to go and find medical assistance. The staff were so kind and caring and did everything they could to try and make him feel better. They brought meals to our room or gave them to me to take back, always enquired how he was and did all they could. Thank you!
The food was very enjoyable. You choose lunch and dinner at breakfast time, there are 3 choices including vegetarian. As I ate all of my meals without my husband I especially loved the idea that they sat you with other guests, great way to meet other people. You can sit alone if you prefer though.

Our Bure was huge, the bed so comfortable, lovely view of the gardens and ponds, tea and coffee making, lounge area…perfect. The shower though had no water pressure at all so I asked for it to be looked at….within 20 minutes someone was there and they managed to vastly improve the problem. Not the best shower I have ever had but I knew they used solar hot water so wasn’t surprised.

The boat trip over was very rough due, once again, to the weather. We arrived safely but rather wet, as was our luggage. The boat had no glass in one window allowing water to spray over everyone and a number of drips from the roof onto our bags…I do feel this should be fixed as the weather is not always perfect in Fiji!

The resort is beautiful, the pool gorgeous (I did get to swim once!), loved the school and village visits, the singing in the evenings. I saw photos taken by some of the divers and they were stunning, so if you dive this is the place to go! Made me regret I had never learnt to dive. The staff though are the standout highlight of our time at Beqa.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeorgetteCanberra

I my Georgette we did have some rain....

Thank you for you comments and beautifully stated breakdown of you experience with us on Beqa....

We tried to talk with Dad but he just was not.. going to budge on the weather pattern...

Putting that aside .. the team thanks you for the nice compliments.. and we are grateful that you carved a holiday in spite of the rough conditions.

We hope you will both come back to Beqa .. certainly we will look forward to your return.

In the mean time a big vinaka vakalevu to you both from team Beqa...

Reviewed April 25, 2019

I will start with the good. If you want what is probably the best shark diving experience available anywhere, go to this resort. My group of friends and I did 4 shark dives over a period of five days. On three of these four dives we had Tiger sharks which were quite spectacular and amazing. At any one time there were probably two dozen or more other sharks present including bull sharks, nurse sharks and reef sharks. At no time although being conscious of the fact that you are out in the open ocean in the presence of wild animals did I feel concerned or threatened because the way in which the dives are conducted are first-class. Aaron and his team of dive instructors/dive masters run these dive like a Swiss watch. If you are keen diver and want to get up close and personal with sharks then this is the place to go.
However, in terms of the overall operation of the resort it does leave a little to be desired.
To start with we had gone to the island to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday.
He had had extensive communication with island staff about the fact that the reason for our going there was to do shark diving. The shark dives are conducted on a Monday Wednesday and Friday. We arrived on Saturday and had arranged to do a checkout dive on the Sunday and all of the correspondence from the island indicated that we would do our first shark dive on the Monday. When we arrived we discovered that we were not booked to do the shark dive on the Monday. As we were leaving the following Thursday this meant that unless these arrangements could be changed the only shark dives that we could do were on the Wednesday. As I say we had specifically gone to this island to do the shark diving and my friend's correspondence clearly indicated that he had made this clear and he had been told that we were booked to do the diving with the sharks on the Monday and Wednesday.
Ultimately this was resolved and we got to dive with the sharks on the Monday but understandably for a while, having arranged to take 10 people to the island for his birthday, my friend was quite distressed about the situation.
Twice we had dive boats breakdown which caused significant delays in the diving. On our last night on the island the general manager who prior to that time I had not seen told our group that the reason for his absence was because of the fact that he had been in Nadi dealing with various matters including apparently having to dive boats refitted. I understand that from time to time this might be required but if you are two dive boat short and others are unreliable I would expect that some replacements should have been hired for the relevant period whilst the others are out of action. Regularly there were mixups with equipment being made available to those who did not have their own and had hired it. On the last dive of the trip one of my buddies and I who had paid for nitrox were told that they had miscalculated and there were not enough nitrox tanks on the boat. These things happen and we both resigned ourselves to the fact that we needed to dive on-air. Fair enough. The problem was, however, that my buddy had hired a computer from the resort and it had been set for the nitrox mix which she had been using on the previous dive and which she planned to use on this last dive. Needless to say when she was told she needed to use air the computer needed to be reset but it being a hire computer, it was one with which she was not familiar and likewise I was not familiar with it as I use a different brand. When she asked one of the dive masters on the boat how to change it he told her that he did not know because he used a different brand. That really is unacceptable. If the resort is hiring out computers to divers then the dive staff should know how to operate them. This meant that my buddy had to rely upon my computer in terms of the deco times and so on and fortunately we had a very very similar profile in terms of our previous diving.
We were both told that we would be given a credit for the fact that we had paid for nitrox but were using air. This did not occur and I must admit that given the amount involved I was not troubled about spending the time which would obviously have been required to sort it out when I paid my bill although my buddy did.
For a resort which basically exists for diving, despite the fact that the diving is brilliant, it did leave something to be desired in terms of its operation.
That said the accommodation is excellent and the food is very good. The cost of beers and wine are in my view very reasonable compared to some other resorts in Fiji.
There is a nice pool and when the tide is in there is good snorkelling to be had strayed off the beach.
The staff generally were friendly but in some instances a little standoffish and not quite as easy-going as other Fijian people that I have encountered in my travels there in the past. I may be completely wrong but it just seemed to me that there may have been some tension between the staff and management which was rubbing off on attitude.
All in all, I would go back to this place if I wanted to do more diving with sharks but overall I think they probably need to improve generally their level of operation.

Room tip: The Koi Pond rooms are very spacious and well appointed.
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank Brent H

Bula and greetings...

Apologies for this mix up it seems we failed your visit and we humbly apologies.

We have addressed your issues with dive and we are confident that the booking procedure, dive coordination, is in good order but we will always strive to make it better.

Thank you so much for taking time to write on TripAdvisor...

A big vinaka vakalevu to you and your team from all of us at team Beqa.

Reviewed April 1, 2019 via mobile

This is truly a wonderful place to spend time. It is a place to get away from the rat race and experience Paradise. The resort had a warm greeting for our very wearied group. They gave us clear instructions and expedited our transference into our rooms smoothly. The meals were easy and every morning a menu was provided and you chose your lunch and dinner. Each had a fish, meat and vegetarian option and a delicious dessert.
The people who work here are some of the most humble, gracious and generous individuals to be found. Your comfort and enjoyment is at the forefront of their minds.
Things to remember; everything consumed at the resort is brought over so it's a bit expensive. The best part is the US dollars is strong. They offer spa services and an excursion every day. Their culture is a modest one so ladies bring longer shorts, a light skirt or dress knee length and shoulders are covered. It's an easy request for the delightful time you will experience.
Diving is what you hope for in Fiji. Great numbers of juvenile marine life. Wonderful coral that is unique to them. We did not do the shark dive because we did it at Pacific Harbour.
Draw backs; if you have to have a television, G4 or better wifi, No insects, 24 hour access to the world and room service this may not be you gig, but if you want a relaxing and entertaining break, this is the correct place to be.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank cindyhasitall
Maps817494, General Manager at Beqa Lagoon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2019

Bula Cindy

Many thanks for our constructive comments...

Yes we are an island .. we don't have television, WiFi is good but you could experience down time ..we have just installed a new WiFi system all is working well so roll out your Netflix... HOWEVER.... note to self... we are on an island and there maybe downtime on all technology, and the water may be erratic when showering LOL... but true.

As you have said Cindy ..."if you want a relaxing and entertaining break, this is the correct place to be" ... who need s technology ..!!

Once again many thanks for taking the time to comment ... a big vinaka vakalevu to you and yours from us and ours ... team Beqa...

Reviewed March 24, 2019

We just returned from the island and it was a great time to be there. There was some rain daily but it was short lasting and did not interrupt any activities. It was very uncrowded making it a very relaxed time to be there. Staff was fantastic! We felt truly welcomed by them. Special thanks to Joseph and Malachai. Good activities during each day and great shows each night. Bure was directly overlooking beach and was well appointed with everything we needed. The snorkeling on the house reef was the best I have ever done and that is saying something since I live in Hawaii and have travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean. Just ask at the dive shop and they well direct you on where to go. Take the short paid, boat tour to the local reef if you love snorkeling. If you are put off by the price of the resort, I believe it was a great overall value with transportation, activities, food and shows included. The only downside we encountered was the food. Very limited selection and often the description of the meals did not match what we were served. Could have been much better. Overall a great experience. Vinaka.

Room tip: We were in Bure 1 which is closest to the pool and restaurant and could be noisy if the resort is busy.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Konaorf

Bula, Bula, Bula ...

Great comments ... thank you so much.

Yes we have set menu choices.. which you choose at breakfast for your lunch or dinner... sorry we couln't accommodate you needs throughout your stay... if you should come again and there is something particular you need beyond the menu we will provide.... we know we can't on our daily's provide all the menu types our guests may need beyond the daily menu changes.

So good of you to overview your experience with us and we hope you will come to Beqa again in the not to distant future... In the mean time a big vinaka vakalevu to you from all of team Beqa.